• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Baby Tegu Feeding

Bouford34

Hi ive had my new tegu for 5 days and he is 10 inches long. The only problem so far is feeding him. He ate for the first time yesterday and he ate raw egg and drank a lot of it. Today he refused to eat any crickets or gizzards so but i mixed calcium and vitamins with more raw egg for him to eat. Im going to try hard boiled eggs tomorrow but i know eggs are not supposed to be used as a staple diet so if anyone has any tips on how to get him to eat that would be great!

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How are his temps? Could he be showing signs of slowing down for the winter? Will he take a F/T pinky mouse?

Matthew Krzemienski

Like many tegus, mine are also addicted to eggs. I get around this by taking small amounts of scrambled eggs and mix it in with ground meats (including organs and bones) from hare-today. Even if they aren't the biggest fan of meats, they try to eat the egg mixed in with the meat and inevitably eat the meat as well. Slowly increase the meat:egg ratio and eventually you should have a tegu that is used to ground meats! Just one way to do it.

Matt

Bouford34

It is hard to say because each is individual. It could pop up next week, next month, or April.
He went down for about 6 days then came back up to poop so i took him out and he ate some raw egg. But he keeps going down for a day or two and coming up and he wont eat anything but raw egg mixed with calcium and vitamins. I tried raw ground turkey today mixed with calcium vitamins and raw egg and he just licked it. He is very active and walks right up to me and isnt scared of people. i just cant get him to eat real food.

bfb345

He went down for about 6 days then came back up to poop so i took him out and he ate some raw egg. But he keeps going down for a day or two and coming up and he wont eat anything but raw egg mixed with calcium and vitamins. I tried raw ground turkey today mixed with calcium vitamins and raw egg and he just licked it. He is very active and walks right up to me and isnt scared of people. i just cant get him to eat real food.
Try a 3/4 egg to 1/4 meat ratio but make sure to mix it really well he should go for it only try a tiny bit

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
I would recommend a tough love approach and just don't offer egg any more or else your setting yourself up for more trouble. They won't starve themselves.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
I've often wondered how many people do this with their children: Little Billy refuses to eat anything but chocolate bars, so to get him to eat his veggies we've started mixing a little lettuce in with the Babe Ruths......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu