• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Baby Rhino ??

RobK.

MY new rhino i got does not stay up very long . Today he fell asleep at 1 pm and will stay that way until the next morning . Usually he goes down at 3 pm and that it for the day . Tom recommended a backing temp at 120 . my other rhino liked 102-106 . with a 120 basking temp it warms the whole cage to 85-90 + . I will lower the basking temp tomorrow to 105 and the rest of the cage should drop to to 70 - 80 +/- and see if he says up longer . Not sure if i am getting enough UV as my other Rhino i had , i had two Zoo-med 5.0 on each side of a 60 watt basking bulb 12'' above . I now have a 100 watt basking bulb , next to it a 125 watt exo-tera MVB and a zoo-med 10.0 ( i picked up taday ) on the other side of the basking bulb 16'' above . In the morning he's very active , eats and basks , eat and basks and explores ,then at 1-3 pm he going under the basking bench and falls asleep and he's done for the day . He's not panting as if he's too hot , he's eating good , not sneezing , just salting . ??
any ideas ??

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you want the higher basking spot, but don't want the ambient temps to rise, raise your basking spot up. All I have for mine is a 160W Power Sun and one 48" 10.0 UVB tube (not sure of the brand). As long as he is eating and pooping, I wouldn't worry too much.

For your UVB are you using those coil bulbs? From what I understand those things are junk, I would stick with the MVB for your main source and maybe run a 48" tube UVB inside as well for a little extra.

RobK.

james.w said:
If you want the higher basking spot, but don't want the ambient temps to rise, raise your basking spot up. All I have for mine is a 160W Power Sun and one 48" 10.0 UVB tube (not sure of the brand). As long as he is eating and pooping, I wouldn't worry too much.

For your UVB are you using those coil bulbs? From what I understand those things are junk, I would stick with the MVB for your main source and maybe run a 48" tube UVB inside as well for a little extra.

Its a Zoo med 10.0 coil , 14 '' above the basking bench next to the exo - terra 125 watt MVB . Can i move the bench closer to the MVB with out harming him ? I did see this, he says the bulb needs to be close to get enough UV and heat .

http://www.bigappleherp.com/Exo-Terra-Solar-Glo-Mercury-Vapor-Bulb-125-Watt

Thanks for any info james !!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You can move him as close as you need to. I doubt he would get close enough to burn himself since he would probably have to be at least 12" away for the temps to be right. If you are using a MVB you don't need the coil type bulbs.

RobK.

james.w said:
You can move him as close as you need to. I doubt he would get close enough to burn himself since he would probably have to be at least 12" away for the temps to be right. If you are using a MVB you don't need the coil type bulbs.

I add a couple layers of rocks to his basking table last night while he was a sleep ( boy, do they sleep sound ) so he's around 12''- 13 '' below the 125 watt MVB .I will remove the coil light tonight when he's asleep . He basking on the rocks i don't want to stress him out right now. Its around 104-106 on the rock he's basking on , 90 on the carpet next to the rocks and 75-83 in the rest of the cage . I will get a better MVB and a 10.0 tube (asap) when i get paid again . We added agreen house to our back yard and the wash machine died , so we had to buy a new one yesterday . so $$$ is tight until next month .:rolleyes:

here is his set up !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6wlIhMV3N0

RobK.

He still goes down everyday at 1-3 pm , but he's WAY more active and is eating like a pig . He's shedding better since i keep the humidity at 65-75 at night through mid morning , then i drop it to 45-5o mid afternoon to evening then back up when the lights go off . I have plenty of lights for him now . Two basking areas with 125 watt MVB (12-13'' above ) one areas goes to 115 deg and the other 105 ( he loves the 115 deg spot better ) and a zoo med 10.00 compact coil between them and also a 24'' ( all they had in town ) exo terra 10.0 tube along the back .So its bright , warm and humid and when he goes down for the day you see that his sides are bulging from all the food he's eating . He also shedding again .

http://www.youtube.com/user/rgkempton#p/u/0/sTONSn-sOag

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
RobK. said:
He still goves down everyday at 1-3 pm , buy he's WAY more active and is eating like a pig . He's shedding better since i keep the humidity at 65-75 at night through mid morning , then i drop it to 45-5o mid afternoon to evening then back up when the lights go off . I have plenty of lights for him now . Two backing areas with 125 watt MVB (12-13'' above ) one areas goes to 115 deg and the other 105 ( he loves the 115 deg spot better ) and a zoo med 10.00 coild between them and a 24'' ( all they had in town ) exo terra 10.0 tube along the back .So it brigh warm and humid and when he goes down for the day, his sides are bulging from all the food he's eating . He also shedding again .

http://www.youtube.com/user/rgkempton#p/u/0/sTONSn-sOag

you got yours from tom crutchfield right, is he by any chance from fred and wilma He looks so much like my khaos

RobK.

[/quote]

you got yours from tom crutchfield right, is he by any chance from fred and wilma He looks so much like my khaos
[/quote]

yes , Tom Said he is also one from Wilma's last clutch .Mine is around 18-19'' now . How long is yours ?? Mine is starting to grow like crazy , but he should be with all the food he's eating . I am growing 5 Moringa trees in his room . He loves the leaves . I will also be eating them .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcZzUkevbao

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tell me more about these trees you are growing. Are they safe for reptiles??

Varanus K.Face

Make sure you keep working with those guys, when they are mean...holy diver they are crazy! We have an adult female at our shop that terrifies me. She will straight up chase you, and she snapped a push broom stick in half like it was a toothpick! She could for SURE take someones finger off, and she would if given the chance. Then theres BoBo, our male. Hes just as sweet as could be! :)

RobK.

james.w said:
Tell me more about these trees you are growing. Are they safe for reptiles??

I read a few post on the Kingsnake forum when i WAS :rolleyes: on there . They were growing and feeding them to there Rhinos . Can't see why they would be bad with all the calciumin and vitamin in them . I soaked the seeds for 12 hours then planed then , kept them dampand 6 out of 8 grew . If you decide you want to grow any , i will sent you some seeds for free .:) I also read some place ( ?) where someone saw a bunch of green iguanas eating Mainga leaves like crazy and the ones in that area were bigger and greener then anywere else. I am new to owning Rhino Igaunas so please be sure to let me know if you see any reason why they would or could be bad . I will be adding then to my salads . thanks !!

http://www.moringahealthcare.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moringa_oleifera

http://food-security.info/pdf%20(English)/ECHO%20(English)/Moringa.pdf

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Varanus K.Face said:
Make sure you keep working with those guys, when they are mean...holy diver they are crazy! We have an adult female at our shop that terrifies me. She will straight up chase you, and she snapped a push broom stick in half like it was a toothpick! She could for SURE take someones finger off, and she would if given the chance. Then theres BoBo, our male. Hes just as sweet as could be! :)

One of my local shops had a couple adults that were crazy in the shop, but once they got homes they were really calm. Maybe they just don't do well in high traffic places. I don't know how I can work with mine since I can't get a hold of him. I heard and read they don't really become handleable until about 2 years.

RobK.

Varanus K.Face said:

aren't all males normally sweeter !!!! LOL :D:rolleyes:

The first time i picked mine up he/she tried to bite me, so i put my finger in his mouth and let him hold on to me for as long as he wanted (15-20 sec) then he let go , the next time he held on even less . third time even less , then he stoppped doing that and he has not tried since . He does not even open his mouth anymore .: DO NOT TRY THIS WITH A ADULT or you will be called stubby form then on !!lol

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Could you send me some seeds and some directions on how to get them to grow?

RobK.

[/quote]

One of my local shops had a couple adults that were crazy in the shop, but once they got homes they were really calm. Maybe they just don't do well in high traffic places. I don't know how I can work with mine since I can't get a hold of him. I heard and read they don't really become handleable until about 2 years.
[/quote]

I only pick mine up to give him and i pick him up before i turn the lights on , hold him and talk to him for a little while , or until he's wide awake , then put him in the warm bath . Then i clean his cage , make his food and then go work with him in the tub . Thats it , the less i spook him the better off , from what i have read . I don't want to have to chase him around the cage . He's now letting me get closer and closer in his cage as weeks go by . Today he was a little more spooky , but he started shedding again . This time he looks like he may be shedding his whole body at once . He seems more cranky and irritated and was eating less !!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As soon as I open my cage he bolts to the other side. I'm gonna move him into a smaller cage and see if it will help.

RobK.

james.w said:
Could you send me some seeds and some directions on how to get them to grow?

sure , PM me you adress and i will send them out to you on monday with info .

I keep mine in the room with my igauna ( 80 deg ) and under a grow light all day. After i soaked the seeds ( 12 hours ) i put them in these http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/shop_image/product/9cda1d7475cbd5d92fd91eaaa0e0efb9.jpg Then after they are around three inches tall i transplant them in a pots with 1/3 potting soil and 2/3 sand . water once week or when you see them start to wilt . Then need soil that drains well .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPuK_DscX9s&feature=player_embedded#at=171

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980