• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

anyone else baby come home then burrow / slepp?

Dereks-Dragons

It is great to start off with a mellow one :p I haven't used a feeding bin I feed my red off of a paper plate right on my rug and the baby had a bowl yesterday since it was his first day

Krissy

Well we keep ours in our room since we have no place else, and there's TONS of places for them to run and hide and escape. Neeko is getting a baby pool and sitting it in our room so they can just hang out in there and bond in the next couple of days to a week.

Dereks-Dragons

All my reptiles are in my bedroom.and there's a lot of them lol. So I know I posted this before but my house is pretty massive and I know if my baby gets loose it will be near impossible to find him, but he's calm so its ok. My red escaoed a lot. Easier to find a 28 incher especially Wen my golden retrieves are flipping out cuz ther scared of him :b

Krissy

We have no idea how the dogs would react. I'm scared that our giant mutt will eat our beardies or tegus one day....

Draco D Tegu

Dereks-Dragons said:
try and feed from a tong in frnt of their nose. mine loves his scrambled eggs :p

Word of advice to new keepers :), EASY on the eggs. They will quickly become addicted to them, which is very bad because they can have favorite foods and refuse to eat more wholesome foods. Not to mention there is controversy over feeding egg. :)

Some is good, but don't start feeding them as a staple :)

booyea797

Just got mine today hes just been chilling basking all day little exploring eat some crickets but breathing wired sense i got him is this normal where he takes on breath in then 2 at once ..

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Draco D Tegu said:
Word of advice to new keepers :), EASY on the eggs. They will quickly become addicted to them, which is very bad because they can have favorite foods and refuse to eat more wholesome foods. Not to mention there is controversy over feeding egg. :)

Some is good, but don't start feeding them as a staple :)

Agreed, eggs also give my tegus very very very stinky bowel movements.

herpgirl2510

Bevery careful with free roaming them when they are this small. I lost my B&W hatchling he crawled into a hole in under the base board. I thought I had looked everwhere it was maybe 1" in diameter.^^ good advise on the eggs 1--2x monthly.

Also my dogs go crazy when they see a small lizard running aroundthey would definitely kill it. One they get beyond the 30" mark my dogs don't bother them. I think when they dart around they look like prey to my daschunds.

Bedlam

I just got mine today in the A.M.. Very 1st Tegu ever so it was fun. He hid immediately when I put him in the enclosure behind his rubbermaid. He stayed there for about 20 minutes until he finally started to move around. He would bask for about 10 minutes, then walk around for another 10. He repeated this process for about 3 hours. When I noticed he went inside his rubbermaid I put a paper plate with Fryer Gizzards in and he ate some. I left it in there for about 15 minutes then took it out. After he ate, he basked for about 20 minutes then went into his hide and I have not seen him for about 5hours.

The Ambient Temp. is 84 degrees and the Humidity ranges from 82% to 71%. Hope he is normal and I'm doing things right.

Just to add, I put the bag he came with inside the enclosure just to comfort hi with a familiar smell. Any good time to take it back and switch with my shirt or tank top?

new2tegus

I need to do more shopping today for him, I haven't moved the gauges off the larger enclosure I have to this one,but it gets warm enough in there that he gets very active and will even seek the hide box I have in there. His skin also looks great,and I keep it moist in there. I'm pretty sure now he knows I'm not going to hurt him, he seems fairly relaxed around me, can't wait til he's a little bigger when I can let him out and no worry about him getting into these small spaces he can now.

herpgirl2510

For a humidity/temp gauge use the accurite ones from Walmart or Lowe's the ones from the pet stores are junk. The best wayto measure temps is with a tempgun they are $25 and very important to get an acurate temp on surface temps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980