• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

ALBINO BLUE TEGU

ageber

5 Year Member
i just saw this post and realize it is from back in september but i thought i would share a bit about our albino blue. We aquired her from the undergorund at the breeders show in daytona. It is the same company selling the one on kingsnake. The female was small when we got her. she was a year old and fit in my sons hands. WE put her in a large enclosure with a megaray bulb and feed her everyday. She is now over 2ft and fat. she eats like a horse. her eyesight is not good but she is not blind as she follows movement and clearly sees my hands. I cant say for sure that the UVB bothers her or not but she basks a good portion of the day under it. She seems very healthy, eats well, reasonably friendly once fed, and growing all the time. here is a video i posted of her eating.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huuhXIyD-jk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huuhXIyD-jk</a><!-- m -->

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
I don't think she was albino, she looks leucistic because of her dark eyes.

x2 for the tegu in the vid also.

Albinism (from Latin albus, "white"; also called achromia, achromasia, or achromatosis) is a form of hypopigmentary congenital disorder, characterized by a partial lack (in hypomelanism, also known as hypomelanosis) or total absence (amelanism or amelanosis) of melanin pigment in the eyes, skin and hair, or more rarely in the eyes alone known to affect all vertebrates, including humans.

It is not the same as leucism, in which all integumental pigment is at least partially absent, but the eyes retain their usual color.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ya my camera was not the greatest. She was an albino all the way, real red eyes on her.

Meg90

5 Year Member
The tegu in the video is not an albino. Her eyes are not pink, and she has some areas (as you can clearly see in the video) of black pigmentation. She is Leucistic at best, and at worst, just an original looking blue.

I would never call that albino though.

Turbine

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
The tegu in the video is not an albino. Her eyes are not pink, and she has some areas (as you can clearly see in the video) of black pigmentation. She is Leucistic at best, and at worst, just an original looking blue.

I would never call that albino though.

Honestly, who really cares if its a true albino blue? Sure doesn't look like a "normal" blue.

Just enjoy the video.

Good video and great looking tegu!

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
Definitely not a normal looking blue and looks pretty albino to me, no need to be a jerk about it either way...

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Call it what it is,..its as simple as that. You wouldn't post a blue and call it a black and white if you knew what it really was.

There is a subtle difference between Albino and Leucistic but there is a difference.

There's no harm in telling someone what they really have.

Turbine

5 Year Member
Bubblz Calhoun said:
Call it what it is,..its as simple as that. You wouldn't post a blue and call it a black and white if you knew what it really was.

There is a subtle difference between Albino and Leucistic but there is a difference.

There's no harm in telling someone what they really have.

I'm not saying that I don't agree that it may not be an albino. The way of telling the poster was uncalled for and not asked for by the poster.

There was no reason for her to jump on him like that. He was simply posting a video of his tegu for people to view and enjoy.

Sorry I still think its a good video and a great looking tegu.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

Wil

5 Year Member
Nice albino ageber, looks like you have been doing a good job with her.
About some of the other comments, you can't even see the eyes clearly so how can you say they are not pink? Maybe some people should spend less time with Google and get a little more hands on experience.

Turbine

5 Year Member
wil said:
Nice albino ageber, looks like you have been doing a good job with her.
About some of the other comments, you can't even see the eyes clearly so how can you say they are not pink? Maybe some people should spend less time with Google and get a little more hands on experience.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Spend less time putting other people's tegus under a microscope and spend more time enjoying your own.

Meg90

5 Year Member
Bottom line is any pigmentation disqualifies it from being an albino.

You cannot mislabel things in the reptile world, its deceptive and destructive to the hobby as people pass off lesser morphs as their true counterparts.

My tegu has a black nose, but I cannot just call her a "Black lace" Argentine tegu just because her color varies from the norm. She's just a standard black and white with some color and pattern variation. The same can be said about that blue.

It should not be done, and though she is a beautiful animal, she is not an albino.

Wil

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
Bottom line is any pigmentation disqualifies it from being an albino.

You cannot mislabel things in the reptile world, its deceptive and destructive to the hobby as people pass off lesser morphs as their true counterparts.

My tegu has a black nose, but I cannot just call her a "Black lace" Argentine tegu just because her color varies from the norm. She's just a standard black and white with some color and pattern variation. The same can be said about that blue.

It should not be done, and though she is a beautiful animal, she is not an albino.

This is my point, you take a small part of the definition "albinism" and run with it. The fact of the matter is, there is more than one type of albinism. It isn't so cut and dry as you would like to present it as is the case with all genetics.

So by your definition a parodox albino is not an albino? And that all albinos have to be yellow and white with pink eyes? Wrong! Please explain to me how is it that in leopard geckos that a Tremper albino, Bell albino, and Las Vegas albino are not compatible? Why are Sharp albino and Kahl albino boas not compatible? Albino balls and lavender albinos? Need I go on? They are all albinos but of different types.

Bottom line, that is an albino and it is not being misrepresented. Much to learn you do my young padawan.

Meg90

5 Year Member
You are comparing apples to oranges by using leos. :dead

It is not a TRUE albino. I will stand by that any day. As would any other buyer if they saw this animal on a site such as kingsnake.

albino (Ã?â??Ã?â??lbÃ?â??Ã?«`nÃ?â?¦Ã?Â) [Port.,=white], animal or plant lacking normal pigmentation. The absence of pigment is observed in the body covering (skin, hair, and feathers) and in the iris of the eye. The blood vessels of the retina show through the iris, giving it a pink or reddish color, and the eyes are highly sensitive to light. Albinism is inherited as a Mendelian recessive character (see Mendel Mendel, Gregor Johann (grÃ?â??Ã?Â`gÃ?Æ?Ã?´r yÃ?â?¦Ã?Â`hÃ?Æ?Ã?¤n mÃ?â??ââ?¬Â¢n`dÃ?â?°Ã¢â??¢l)
The presence of an excess of black pigment is called melanism

If you are so hung up on definitions, please, feel free to share.

But I would call that nothing but a blue with reduced pigmentation.

And if this guy wants to hawk it as an albino, lets see some actual clear photos.

Turbine

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
You are comparing apples to oranges by using leos. :dead

It is not a TRUE albino. I will stand by that any day. As would any other buyer if they saw this animal on a site such as kingsnake.

albino (Ã?â??Ã?â??lbÃ?â??Ã?«`nÃ?â?¦Ã?Â) [Port.,=white], animal or plant lacking normal pigmentation. The absence of pigment is observed in the body covering (skin, hair, and feathers) and in the iris of the eye. The blood vessels of the retina show through the iris, giving it a pink or reddish color, and the eyes are highly sensitive to light. Albinism is inherited as a Mendelian recessive character (see Mendel Mendel, Gregor Johann (grÃ?â??Ã?Â`gÃ?Æ?Ã?´r yÃ?â?¦Ã?Â`hÃ?Æ?Ã?¤n mÃ?â??ââ?¬Â¢n`dÃ?â?°Ã¢â??¢l)
The presence of an excess of black pigment is called melanism

If you are so hung up on definitions, please, feel free to share.

But I would call that nothing but a blue with reduced pigmentation.

And if this guy wants to hawk it as an albino, lets see some actual clear photos.

Your less than expert opinion was neither asked for or welcomed by either of the posters. Thats the point.
If wanted to inform them that their tegus are not albino (which I and a few other people disagree with you) you could have done it in a more mature and nice way.

Once again guys, the pics and video are great and the albino tegus look awesome, thanks for sharing!

chris allen

5 Year Member
Albino????
albino10-21again.jpg

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
Apples to oranges? What I believe Wil was saying is that there are different types of albino in almost every other animal having the albinism trait so why wouldn't there be in tegus? Look at paradox albino Kenyan Sand boas, they have black on them and they are still albino so I am pretty sure that there could be paradox albino tegus. Besides, you have absolutely no right to jump on the guy especially considering you're wrong here. And have you seen a normal looking blue because that is definitely not one. No way is that a normal blue!

Wil

5 Year Member
chris allen said:
Albino????
albino10-21again.jpg
No way Chris, it has pigment!

TeguKid80 said:
Apples to oranges? What I believe Wil was saying is that there are different types of albino in almost every other animal having the albinism trait so why wouldn't there be in tegus? Look at paradox albino Kenyan Sand boas, they have black on them and they are still albino so I am pretty sure that there could be paradox albino tegus. Besides, you have absolutely no right to jump on the guy especially considering you're wrong here. And have you seen a normal looking blue because that is definitely not one. No way is that a normal blue!

Yes, that is what I was getting at my young friend. When albino blues hatch out a lot of them are dark in color and then lighten as they age. My problem is there was no dispute that the picture of the male on KS wasn't an albino and ageber's female is a sibling to him. Hey but what do I know, I am just a newbie that has lived a sheltered life fumbling my way through life.

Turbine

5 Year Member
Hey Chris

Is that a younger pic of the albino you posted a month or so back. Its beautiful.
I'm starting to like albinos more and more from the pics and vids everyone is posting.

If those aren't albinos then I think we should come up with a whole new name for them, not normal blues , or almost albinos hahahahahaha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980