• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

ALBINO BLUE TEGU

nemo66

5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=53&de=713157" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=53&de=713157</a><!-- m -->

GOT_TEGUS

5 Year Member
nemo66 said:
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=53&de=713157

nice but ill stay with my favorite Argentine B&W and im just not a fan of albino herps. but they are beautiful.

The captain

5 Year Member
Ugliest albino animal i have seen to be honest. And i LOVE albinos.
Selectively bred black and white with a ton of white are much more impressive. Thanks for the link!

chris allen

5 Year Member
Something doesnt look right with it, maybe the position its in, but just doesnt look normal.

And the ad keeps getting posted over and over again on there, so i guess nobody is biting on the ad.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I had an albino blue female about a year ago, though about breeding het blues. Than the issues started. I use a MVB for heat and uv. She wasn't able to eat moving worms out of a bowl and had a hard time hitting mice dangled in front of her. She also was very skinny despite trying to fatten her up. She was very hard to tame, i think this is due to bad vision. She also had some leg deformities, the pervious owner didn't use UV just D3 so she probably had MBD. After having her for awhile the fun of having an albino had warn thin and the special housing was just to much. I ended up selling her to somone who had an albino tegu who had just passed away. The tegu who passed was apperently young. Anyone who wants an albino should only get on as a pet... breeding them is only going to cause animals harm later on.

Meg90

5 Year Member
I agree. Any color morph that dramatic, is caused by a gene deformity. In the wild that animal would not survive at all, let alone procreate. Albino genes are not meant to be passed down. I really think people need to understand that things like blue eyes, crazy colors, and even size to some degree are gene deformaties.

My mom has a blue eyed boston terrier. Both of her eyes are sky blue. When we got her, from a friend, my mom fixed her right away. The blue eyes are a flaw, as far as breed standards go, and Daisy, though papered, could never be shown because of it. More than once, people have asked to buy Daisy off of my mom because they wanted to breed her to see if she could pass on the blue eyed gene. They were all disappointed to know she was spayed. (and NFS)

Its like the coat color double dapple in dogs. There is usually something wrong with them, either they are blind, deaf, or just "off" somehow.

Its a sad thing.

That tegu looked odd to me as well.

chris allen

5 Year Member
Btw, I had an albino back in 2003, and two hets, but I only had them for months probably. Had to sell them and my dragons when I bought my house. I didnt have any problems with the albino then, but he was young still.

Meg90

5 Year Member
I don't think that Albinos are impossible to keep correctly, I just don't think they should be bred. One of the main issues is people not providing UVB at all, because of the "bright light" thing.

But there are PLENTY ways around that....A good diet, combined with supplementation as well as a UVB tube light/ceramic heat emitter combo would result in a healthy animal IMO. The individual could also be taken outside on overcast days, when there are just as many beneficial rays present as sunny ones.

I still wouldn't attempt to breed said animal, because while they ARE getting UVB, it is a lower amount of UVB than they require.

I just don't think an individual in a species that clearly needs full spectrum lighting should be expected to go without it, and then be bred.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I to had a male albino tegu from Ron St.Pierre in 05 and mine seemed to have a vision problem which coukd of been from the uvb,and regular lights,also i think it has to do with its skin color being so light as to why the bright lights bother it.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have never seen or know of any albino tegu that can see at all, all of them are 110% blind.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well i not sure if mine was 110% blind like i was saying it seemed to have some type of vision problem.And if somebody has 110% proof that albino tegus are blind i'd like to know thanks. :roll:

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bout to say Ally wasn't 100% blind she could fallow movment but that was it. She could also tell differance between light and dark.

I had her in a 4' cage with a tube for UVB and a radiant heat pannel. Unless the light was off she would not come out. I just couldn't reproduce an animal like that without ethical issues bugging me the whole time.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Mine to wasn't 100% blind i and i myself don't think there 100% blind mine wasn't and from the look of things other people on here albino tegu itsn't as well.On the other hand mine did have a vision inpairment but wasn't blind :)

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have heard this before, but when asking them to hold a rat outside the glass, so that the albino could see it but not smell it. The albinos had no reaction as fould in the normal tegus that could see. As I stated before, I do not think there are any that are not 100% blind.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I tried the hole mice thing threw the glass with mine and even right near it and it seemed to have a problem seeing them,but when it got loose in my lizard room one day when i had one it had no problem scaling stuff to get away or trying to get away from me,so i guess who knows maybe some can't see as well as others.Other people's albimos didn't seem 100% blind as was posted on here to who knows. :)

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have to admit i did not try to eliminate the smell factor or even the hear factor. Bosco my blue male only has to see his food bowl and he comes running over, so there is no doubt in my mind that tegus can see very well.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I just found old pics of my old female albino so i thought i would post them:

albino014.jpg

albino011.jpg

albino009.jpg

they're not the best becuase she would never sit still...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980