• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Aggression in savannah monitor

herpgirl2510

Yesterday I was able to take her out to soak. She went to put her tail back and I said Lilo in a stern voice and I acted real brave and she allowed me to pick her up. Once I have her in my arms she is fine it is the initial pick up. I think you are right I will spend more tie handling her. I had stopped doing that for awhile and she kind of went back to how she was when she first came here.

Reptifam

I have a savannah monitor about 3 1/2 feet long... never been bitten, whipped, or hissed at. He's in an 8x4x4 cage and free roam of the house. I feed him outside of the cage, and f/t rats. He is very sweet, sometimes even naps on the couch. Maybe the ones that you guys had/have are wild caught, not loved, and mistreated. (by the previous owners of course :p)

new2tegus

These animals aren't like dogs or cats, and it's not that they forget, it's just keeping that bond up, and spending time with them, when you start to slack in picking them up, they will be the first to let you know it. I think you will be fine, more time out of the cage with you will help her with that, she will get use to you again.

herpgirl2510

I don't let mine free roam like my tegus because they need such warm temps to thrive. If she does come out she just hides. Maybe I worry to muh and should have her out more. I did just have her sit with me for a bit on my lap for a bit while I had coffee she will lay under the blankets. She is actually not wild caught she was from a litter born in the us that someone had. I think you are right I started slacking about taking her out on most of teh monitor web sites they advise that it is not good to always have them out but I am going to experiment see how it goes. How often do you feed her ras. I hear alot of controversy over feeding mice that it should not be done but have read Bennett's bookand he said in captivity it is OK. I feed her bugs but she put away about 750 large dubias in mabe 10 days wiped out my small colony.
Either way she is my pet and I lov her and sheis here to stay.

I really need an edit button sorry.

herpgirl2510

Here se is showing she an be nice.

7-9-11079.jpg

herpgirl2510

Update for myself still hissy and huffy but not whipping me as often. She still cowers from the tongs it is strange she came to me this way. She curls her little face into her side and looks terrified even when there is a mouse although she will usually grab one mouse. She still loves my tegus crawls in their enclosure when she is out to bask with them.

jerobi2k

yeah I love Savannahs but they always seem a tad more skitzo then a gU, I mean as they get a little older they really settle down. but its more common for them to be a little skittish and nervous at a younger age from what Ive seen over the years.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
I just got my Sav back and he is like a little devil. He eats,poops and attacks all day long, still cute though lol.

Is a 12" growth spurt in just 2months normal for a sav?

herpgirl2510

That is a good idea I never though to take her out of the cage to tong feed sometimes I wonder aout myself :). I will try tommorrow with some mice.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Strange_Evil said:
I just got my Sav back and he is like a little devil. He eats,poops and attacks all day long, still cute though lol.

Lets see some pics!!

hoosier

5 Year Member
what was said about them being shy at a younger age is very true (unless its an argus, they are bold out of the egg from what i have heard!) but savs and black throats tend to "tame" down very nicely when they get bigger much like most of the larger varanid species but when it comes to monitors, there is never a truely "tame" monitor. one that just trusts and respects you until it no longer does in which case it will let you know ;)

also many different keepers have different views on handeling. some breeders say dont do it muchbecause of the stress where as others say its perfectly fine and needed to make that bond. IMO you just have to do what you feel works :)

herpgirl2510

I know she whips me out of fearI rememberwhen I dirst got her I offered her some hissing roaches she ran forward to gra one as soon as she grabbed it it hisses. She immediately dropped it and turned her head in and closed her eyes. She has a very sweet expressive face so you can see the fear when she cowers. I was very hands off as far as holding her and I think that has contributed to her not getting used to me. Lukily she has never tried to bite me I think she was with her old owner for at least a year and just beause she was mellow and "tame" with them does not mean she will e right off the bat with me. I am going to try feeding her outside her enclosure maybe she feels threatened when I approach her inside.I have some chicks I got I will try today.

herpgirl2510

Well things have gotten better with lilo she has not tried to whip me in a few daysshe does a low hiss . I am wondering if it had to do with the seasons she is not thrilled to be picked up but I don't blame her. I am sure at her size she feells very unsteady. She still does not like the tongs she will take one mouse from it but after that I have to drop them in front of her.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Strange_Evil said:

Normal if you're feeding steroids! :p

Seriously? 12" in two months!

...Jefroka

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Jefroka said:
Strange_Evil said:

Normal if you're feeding steroids! :p

Seriously? 12" in two months!

...Jefroka

I missed this, lols. No not 12", i over exaggerated. He's about 9" now and looks much fatter. Its so hard to get a measurement on him i'm just guessing here.

I only handled him twice, he's so uncomfortable with handling and after reading what Jame's posted i'll go with the tong method, and the bigger he gets the meaner. He's still not really use to me unless i have food and still he waits until i back away before he eats. So far all he takes from the tongs are worms. I feed roaches now and he just preferes to catch those :huh:.

Weird little guy.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine is getting somewhat "social", when I come in the room with a bag, he will watch me fill it with roaches and then sit my the door until I open it and feed them to him. I can get him to climb onto my arm by leading him with a roach on the tongs. It's pretty cool to see his progression.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980