• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Advice needed.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Basil also has the bleached out wash as seen in my animals, the markings under the neck show this clearly.

hoosier

5 Year Member
beautiful tegu for sure. id give anything to beable to keep a tegu like that. i may just move down to argentina or some place around there lol

also Neil_E_C_P; how often do you see tegus down there?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here is some of the washing I am talking about, you can see it inside the markings:

Attachments

• ChacSmm.JPG
    512 bytes · Views: 4
  • DSCN3287.JPG
    512 bytes · Views: 7

Neil_E_C_P

5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
I lightened them up a bit, but I sure would like to see some more of them in a brighter light. I also wish I could get some more of these animals, new blood would be awesome. The V is not always seen in the giants, but that is one of them for sure.

Well talking with some people in the office.
The Manager Said he saw the father of "Basil". And open his arm full in comparison with his size. And the neck like a little soccer ball. (But he alway is overreacting.)
As for the mother I try to catch her several times but... She is fast. I think is about 1.20 m.
Are those Giant or Normal?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They are Chacoan tegus, or what I call Extreme Giants. Your tegu looks like mine, and not like the normals at all.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
1.20 meters = 3.937 feet, thatÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s the same size as the normal males or my giant females. The females run smaller than the males, so your boss is probably correct on his story of being a huge male.

Neil_E_C_P

5 Year Member
hoosier said:
beautiful tegu for sure. id give anything to beable to keep a tegu like that. i may just move down to argentina or some place around there lol

also Neil_E_C_P; how often do you see tegus down there?
Argentina?!?
I'm not from Argentina. I'm Bolivian. Living in Santa Cruz de la Sierra.
Here is a link for informative purposes 8) :
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Cruz_de_la_Sierra" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Cruz_de_la_Sierra</a><!-- m -->
As for the frecuency of the sighting. In hot days is very often. But I don't pay attention in how many of them are in the bushes. Because only the big ones take their chances in the plains.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here in the United states the Tupinambis Merianae, is called Argentine tegus. Due to most of the normal Tupinambis Merianaes in our pet trade are from central Argentina. The tegu you have is also Tupinambis Merianae, as well as the tegus that I call my Extreme Giants, or Chacoan Giants. This is due to the fact that they come from the Gran Chaco region, like where you are from in Santa Cruz.

People in the US are fast to make a common name for animals and do not use the latin term as your country does. The Tupinambis Merianae found in Grand Chacio or Santa Cruz is a different local then the Tupinambis Merianae found farther south in central Argentina, this is why they are different type of animal, and even look much different in color, size and shape.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
When your boss talks about his open arms full in comparison, and a neck like a little soccer ball, he is not far from speaking the fact. This is an adult male Chacoan Giant, or Extreme Giant:

Attachments

• DSCN3481E.jpg
    512 bytes · Views: 3
  • DSCN3519.jpg
    512 bytes · Views: 3

dturner05

5 Year Member
Anyone else think it's a little funny after that HUGE argument over who had the true Chacoans...and here again we get cold stone PROOF. :rasp :butt :rasp

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
dturner05 said:
Anyone else think it's a little funny after that HUGE argument over who had the true Chacoans...and here again we get cold stone PROOF. :rasp :butt :rasp

You bet ya, it sure ain't a normal Argentine white head he caught. ;) :lol:

Neil_E_C_P

5 Year Member
Re: En Serio!!!

Mierda!!!
Better start musculation soon as posible. In order to hold "Basil" in the future.
How old is that "little one"?

hoosier

5 Year Member
i dont believe he has. a scale count would also have to be done.

wherewould you go to get a DNA test done anyway?

Neil_E_C_P

5 Year Member
Surazos...

A "Surazo" is cold wind that comes from the South Pole. Is the end of the Spring and the Beggining of Winter.
"Basil" is making less movement.
Sorry but the Cage right now, with my Budget is out of the question.
Anyhow guess what I'm doing to keep him warm...
I put on a Jacket and keep him in my back. :roll:

Tux

5 Year Member
LouDog760 said:
Bobby have you done any DNA testing on the Chacoans? To see if there any difference between the normal?

Their is going to be a difference, you can tell just by the scale pattern on the head and the shape of the head not to mention the growth rate, egg size etc. Their however has not been any DNA testing done. You would 1st need to test the normal B&W's and establish markers and than do so with the extremes. The only place it could be done is a lab specializing the area of DNA testing and would cost a boatload.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980