• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Advice needed.

Neil_E_C_P

5 Year Member
Hi. I live in Santa Cruz de la Sierra - Bolivia (South America - Between Brasil and Peru)
I recently capture alive a young Tupinambis Merinae ( B/W tegu ) in my workplace (at outskirts of my city). Sadly in my first attempt to grab "Basil" (That's his/her name) the tail snaps (Is healing well - I think).
This first week I used leather gloves to handle. Now there is no attempt to bite so I handle bare handed but still get nervous when I do so and try to escape and hide. Eats Eggs, chicken loins chipped in pieces and "Mangos" (MangÃ?Æ?Ã?­fera Domestica & MangÃ?Æ?Ã?­fera Altissima). His/her Size is about 12".
Lives ( for now ) in my room ( 4m x 4m x 2.5m ) - (19.68' x 19.68' x 8.20')
Some co-workers said I could keep a leash on him/her and set it free at the yard ( There is a Fence instead a wall at my home so he/she can escape) since is still summer here.
Takes Sun light through a window.
Here are some pics.
[attachment=1]
[attachment=0]
My questions are:
*Can "Basil" tail grows back?
*How old "Basil" is?
*How can I Find out his/her Sex?
*Is "Basil" a Giant type?
*What should I do to grow on him/her?
*Is my menu ok?
*What Vitamins I should give him/her?
*Is the leash a good idea?
*Should I keep it indoors? If so. Should I build a Cage for him/her?
Thank you for your time and help if provided.

Attachments

• Upload 01.JPG
    514 bytes · Views: 5
  • Upload 02.JPG
    514 bytes · Views: 2

DaRealJoker

5 Year Member
Tail won't grow back fully but will be ok, Repti Vites are what you want to give him every second meal. Calcium supplement on every meal. A leash will work but a pen is better. If you keep indoors a cage is a good idea, as for outdoors, a big pen works better. As for light he needs UVB and can't get good UVB thru glass and screen. If you keep it indoors more than out, you will want to buy a UVB emitting light source. The common lights used are the PowerSun Mercury Vapour, The Repti-Sun and Repti-Glo Flourescents or regular unfilltered sunlight. As for age I won't try to guess on that one. For a menu here's a link to a good food list. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1353">http://tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1353</a><!-- m --> Hope it helps. As for building a good cage you will want to do some research. Lots of people here have plenty of good cages to get an idea what works and what don't. Hope I've been able to help you get started.

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Either that's a really shmexy arg. b&w, a gorgeous chacoan, or another species! Can you get a pic of under the chin? We'll be able to probably tell if it's a chacoan or not...but Bobby probably knows better.

Man, must be awesome to be able to just get a freebie like that! And a gorgeous one!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That 100% awesome, that is a 110% Chacoan aka Extreme giant female tegu. I will be more then glad to answer your questions, just give me a few minutes.

devine*

5 Year Member
wow, a wild caught tegu! very lucky... I feel a little saddned she is wild caught.... but hopefully we can help you give her a perfect life if keeping her is what you are intending on doing :)

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Neil_E_C_P :
My questions are:
*Can "Basil" tail grows back?
*How old "Basil" is?
*How can I Find out his/her Sex?
*Is "Basil" a Giant type?
*What should I do to grow on him/her?
*Is my menu ok?
*What Vitamins I should give him/her?
*Is the leash a good idea?
*Should I keep it indoors? If so. Should I build a Cage for him/her?
Thank you for your time and help if provided.

The first question is yes, your tegus tail will grow back, it will not look as good as the old tail and will be blackish in color. At the bottom is a picture of the regenerated tail.

Basil's age would depend, you cannot go by the size, as tegus grow in spurts. It would be based on nutrition as well. I would say if I was guessing, around six months. It is now summer in the Chaco region, so that would be about right due to him being a wild tegu.

Basil looks to be a female do to the head shape, I would also love to see more pictues of him, maybe outside in better lighting.

Yes, your tegu is the Chacoan tegu, or better known as Extreme Giant tegu.

As for the vitamins, she needs sun light or UV lighting, also a whole prey item at least once a week, like a mouse, or chick. The raw chicken and fruit can be fed too as well as eggs. You can feed her fish too.

As for the leash, I don't really like them and they seem to stress a tegu. It is summer there now, you could build a cage outside and keep her out there. But in winter she needs to come inside.

You are more than wlecome, and thanks for joining us on the TeguTalk community. :)

Attachments

• DSCN3552.JPG
    512 bytes · Views: 5

Schnab

5 Year Member
That's so awsome that you caught you'r self a tegu lol. Not many people get to have free pets lol.

Neil_E_C_P

5 Year Member
Re: Don't be

devine* said:
wow, a wild caught tegu! very lucky... I feel a little saddned she is wild caught.... but hopefully we can help you give her a perfect life if keeping her is what you are intending on doing :)

Don't be.
Because when I caught her and show to my boss he was wondering what dish is going to be served tonight at home ( In my country people eats them ).
I prefer she living with me than been someone else meal.
As for the lucky part. It wasn't... She's a hell of a runner and a fierce fighter.

devine*

5 Year Member

Neil_E_C_P said:
devine* said:

Don't be.
Because when I caught her and show to my boss he was wondering what dish is going to be served tonight at home ( In my country people eats them ).
I prefer she living with me than been someone else meal.
As for the lucky part. It wasn't... She's a hell of a runner and a fierce fighter.

eat them?! I can't imagine a tegu tasting very nice but glad you saved her! Have you kept any reptiles before? Do you have an enclosure being setup?

hoosier

5 Year Member

that is a beautiful tegu. i too am happy you are going to keep her instead of her becoming a meal for someone eles. 8)

Neil_E_C_P

5 Year Member
Re: Not quite there yet

Schnab said:
That's so awsome that you caught you'r self a tegu lol. Not many people get to have free pets lol.

I don't like the "Caught" part. I prefer "Meet in a Rough Way" ;)
No free pets for you in Xmas?? :grno

Neil_E_C_P

5 Year Member
Kazzy said:
Either that's a really shmexy arg. b&w, a gorgeous chacoan, or another species! Can you get a pic of under the chin? We'll be able to probably tell if it's a chacoan or not...but Bobby probably knows better.

Man, must be awesome to be able to just get a freebie like that! And a gorgeous one!

Regarding the Pics you wanted. I hope these will do.
Since I work all day the pics at sunlight or better lighting are in hold until this weekend. ("Basil" is quite cranky when disrupt His/her Sleep)
Patience Please.
[attachment=1]

Attachments

• DSC00009.JPG
    514 bytes · Views: 4
  • DSC00010.JPG
    514 bytes · Views: 4

hoosier

5 Year Member
either way its a beautiful tegu. you will have to see what bobby posts to determine if its a normal or an extreme. my best guess is extreme like bobby said before, but the lack of chin "v" is puzzling. but not all extremes follow that rule so lets see what bobby says. 8)

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I lightened them up a bit, but I sure would like to see some more of them in a brighter light. I also wish I could get some more of these animals, new blood would be awesome. The V is not always seen in the giants, but that is one of them for sure.

Attachments

• BOTEGU.JPG
    512 bytes · Views: 4
  • BOTEGU2.JPG
    512 bytes · Views: 3

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Also you can see the more pointed snout, as seen from below, just as in mine.

Attachments

• BOTEGU3.jpg
  • BOTEGU4.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980