• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

12 Foot Python Strangles Toddler

Tux

5 Year Member
Obviously the owner neglected to secure the enclosure, I hate careless ppl. I'm curious where the child was as to not know to get away or scream..

GOT_TEGUS

5 Year Member
well its not the snakes fault but try to explan it to non herpers government thats one more reason to ban herps. people need to be responsible..and not smucks.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tux said:
Obviously the owner neglected to secure the enclosure, I hate careless ppl. I'm curious where the child was as to not know to get away or scream..
Maybe the kid climbed into the enclosure??

Tux

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
Maybe the kid climbed into the enclosure??

Maybe, either way it's the parents fault, safety 1st which means locks on those enclosures.

ddegatano

5 Year Member
Its time for people to grow up and take responsibilty for their own actions. Every day it is something new. Don't get me wrong, this is a tragic situation and something I could never imagine going through. But then again, I would take the needed steps to make sure there is zero chance of this happening. It is all about education. The more you know, the better decision you will make. I did months of research and asked a insane amount of questions before making my Tegu purchase from Bobby.

Why is it that we have our politicians fighting for nonsense instead managing the real problems. Instead of going after video games for violent content, go ahead and work on the educational system. Here in New Jersey it is just the worst. We have 600 school districts, and some of them do not even have schools, yet they have a director of education pulling in a six figure salary. Instead of going after foods that are "bad" for you, go after the corrupt political structure we are stuck with. Throwing money at problems never makes them better. Instead of bailing out financial institutions that made billions on the blood of hard working Americans, go ahead and fix the system..it obviously doesn't work. Politics was never intended at any point to be a career. It was meant to be the voice of a community, a representitive, that's all. Instead of Kings, and Dukes, we have Presidents and Senators, different title, same result.

Sorry for the rant, I just get annoyed at the fact there seems to be no personal responsibility. Instead of being an isolated incident, it becomes paranoia and hysteria. And everyone points the finger the other way

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Can't blame the snake for trying to get a midnight snack! :yik

Seriously though, this story made me cringe. This tragic end could have been prevented with a cheap padlock from H.D.

...Jefroka

Beasty

5 Year Member
GEEZ!
Must be something in the water there. I lived within 10-20 minutes of the location of this incident a few years back. My kids live on the same road as this story now, in fact!
We had a friend back in the day who had a 2 y/o running around the house and had landed a $100 deal on a 12' burm AND decent cage. I immediately told him "Awesome, let's take it to Glades Herp right now and sell it for a profit and keep the cage for a more manageable size herp!" He'd hear nothing of it and wanted to keep the snake. I warned him about having "lunch" running around the house yet he persisted.
They kept he snake and named it "Puppy". :crazy
I helped where I could and stopped in often. By the time a few months had gone by the snake had attained 13 1/2 feet in length. They had taken the snake out of the enclosure and had been keeping it in the bathroom with the tub 3/4 full all the time. :doh I went over to visit and had to pee. While in there "Puppy" was giving me the stink eye. Having worked with reptiles a good bit at that time I told them to take the snake out of the bathroom, lock it down after feeding it. Nope! Wouldn't listen.
The next day, while watching the news, I saw my friend and Puppy. The baby had been in the bathroom brushing his teeth with mommy and being curious and unaware as the hungry snake had been so docile before, he was watching the snake, no doubt, watching him. Being that the snake was a bit overdue on her feeding schedule and the boy was small and right about eye level, the snake struck the boy in the forehead and the bottom jaw landed right under the eye.
Naturally the boy and mother made a fuss and dad came in and took the snake off the child but in doing so had no idea how to properly remove the serrated, curved teeth of a snake from flesh and in the process ripped the boy's skin badly under his eye. The boy survived but was traumatized and had to get reconstructive surgery. Oddly enough, Puppy didn't try to coil the boy which as we know is the first thing a snake will do. The dad broke the pet's jaw and the animal was put to sleep. They temporarily lost all 3 children in the home and were brought up on charges of child neglect.
ALL that over a situation I told them would happen in the very first 5 minutes that could have been prevented if only they would have listened. Some people!
Things like this make me mad. It's not ignorance usually that get's folks hurt, it's stupidity and stubbornness.

Red Earth Exotics

5 Year Member
Beasty said:
GEEZ!
Must be something in the water there. I lived within 10-20 minutes of the location of this incident a few years back. My kids live on the same road as this story now, in fact!
We had a friend back in the day who had a 2 y/o running around the house and had landed a $100 deal on a 12' burm AND decent cage. I immediately told him "Awesome, let's take it to Glades Herp right now and sell it for a profit and keep the cage for a more manageable size herp!" He'd hear nothing of it and wanted to keep the snake. I warned him about having "lunch" running around the house yet he persisted.
They kept he snake and named it "Puppy". :crazy
I helped where I could and stopped in often. By the time a few months had gone by the snake had attained 13 1/2 feet in length. They had taken the snake out of the enclosure and had been keeping it in the bathroom with the tub 3/4 full all the time. :doh I went over to visit and had to pee. While in there "Puppy" was giving me the stink eye. Having worked with reptiles a good bit at that time I told them to take the snake out of the bathroom, lock it down after feeding it. Nope! Wouldn't listen.
The next day, while watching the news, I saw my friend and Puppy. The baby had been in the bathroom brushing his teeth with mommy and being curious and unaware as the hungry snake had been so docile before, he was watching the snake, no doubt, watching him. Being that the snake was a bit overdue on her feeding schedule and the boy was small and right about eye level, the snake struck the boy in the forehead and the bottom jaw landed right under the eye.
Naturally the boy and mother made a fuss and dad came in and took the snake off the child but in doing so had no idea how to properly remove the serrated, curved teeth of a snake from flesh and in the process ripped the boy's skin badly under his eye. The boy survived but was traumatized and had to get reconstructive surgery. Oddly enough, Puppy didn't try to coil the boy which as we know is the first thing a snake will do. The dad broke the pet's jaw and the animal was put to sleep. They temporarily lost all 3 children in the home and were brought up on charges of child neglect.
ALL that over a situation I told them would happen in the very first 5 minutes that could have been prevented if only they would have listened. Some people!
Things like this make me mad. It's not ignorance usually that get's folks hurt, it's stupidity and stubbornness.

it's a shame some people are that STUPID.

Suzanne

5 Year Member
I know some of you are not going to like this comment but it's my opinion that people shouldn't own large snakes like this in the first place. I personnally would not own a snake that was too large for me to handle on my own. You just never know with snakes and I wouldn't take the risk.

While a lot of people are experienced enough to care for large snakes we all know that a lot of people aren't.

The guy who owned the snake obviously didn't know what he was doing and that poor little girl's the one who payed the price. Poor kid, what a way to go. It's not the animals fault of course it's just doing what come naturally.

Tux

5 Year Member
Suzanne said:
I know some of you are not going to like this comment but it's my opinion that people shouldn't own large snakes like this in the first place. I personnally would not own a snake that was too large for me to handle on my own. You just never know with snakes and I wouldn't take the risk.

While a lot of people are experienced enough to care for large snakes we all know that a lot of people aren't.

The guy who owned the snake obviously didn't know what he was doing and that poor little girl's the one who payed the price. Poor kid, what a way to go. It's not the animals fault of course it's just doing what come naturally.

Most people whom own dogs aren't experienced enough to train and care for them well enough to avoid a fatal attack yet they are "kept" size has little to do with it their are plenty of smaller animals that can cause harm, imo nobody should keep something they can not care for correctly but to say nobody should keep large snakes because a few people are morons is absurd. Tegus and monitors have pretty good bites, if one was to maul a child would you come out and say they should not be kept just because of the error of a minority of people?

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
That's awfull and dang sure does make us look bad. I used to think like that suzanne but the older I get the more I understand why people keep these snakes. They are awesome pets to have if taken care of properly. And yes it would be great if everyone did what thier supposed to but the fact of the matter is this is Life. There are always going to be people who see the don't walk sighn plain as day but walk into the street anyway get hit and then say "the driver should have watched where he is goin!". The only thing we can do is try to reduce thenumber of times this happens.

Nobody understands our herps like herp keepers do. When I baught my snake everyone was like "ewww a snake!" nobody could see past the 20ft killers people often have in thier minds thinking that snakes are "evil". There is no such thing as a good and bad animal.

Oh one more thing.... Why does this kind of thing always happen in Florida? :roll:

Suzanne

5 Year Member
Tux said:
Suzanne said:

Most people whom own dogs aren't experienced enough to train and care for them well enough to avoid a fatal attack yet they are "kept" size has little to do with it their are plenty of smaller animals that can cause harm, imo nobody should keep something they can not care for correctly but to say nobody should keep large snakes because a few people are morons is absurd. Tegus and monitors have pretty good bites, if one was to maul a child would you come out and say they should not be kept just because of the error of a minority of people?
Well, it's my opinion. You don't have to agree with it.

Red Earth Exotics

5 Year Member
Suzanne said:

I respect your opinion, everyone has one and nobody's opinion is worth more than anyone elses. That being said, here is my opinion.

I agree that not everyone needs or can care for a large constrictor. People need to know their own limitations. The man in that story obviously didn't know his, or didn't care.
If you want to go with the train of thought that if something is dangerous no one should be able to have one, then I guess we should all go back to walking instead of driving cars.
I don't believe in banning a certain animal because some people can't responsibly take care of them. In fact, I believe that the government needs to keep their nose out of my personal business and what animals I keep and concentrate on things like protecting our country from other countries who want to harm us...but back to the topic.
Do not punish those of us who responsible keep our large constrictors. Just like people who are irresponsible in other walks of life, punish the individuals.

:sobo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980