• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

yellow anaconda

cornking4

5 Year Member
Alright sorry I thought you were just kind of blowing me off there. Well when you talk to some people about it and make a decision let us know :-D

Meg90

5 Year Member
I would love to know how old you are. Your spelling and sentence structure is not good. You seem young to me. I would guess 16 or under.

In the last few weeks you have posted about burms, BRBs, lace monitors, red tegus, sand monitors, and nile monitors.

Now you say you have been doing research on anacondas for 6 months?

I don't buy it...something smells like fish.

I think you need to commit to one species, and follow through. You keep saying "my buddy had one, and it was great" and that's good, first hand experience is good. But you should not stop there. While ONE person had an easy time with a species, that in no way means that you will. In all honesty, with aggressive and hard to handle animals, it was probably just a fluke, or it took them forever.

Animals, especially reptiles do not just change their natures. One nice anaconda does not mean the entire species are sweet, when they are not known to be that way.

And anything EIGHT feet is not small. And not cheap to feed. Something that size would need several rabbits in a sitting, and pigs are not advised because they are often riddled with bacteria from bad harvesting practices. One bad pig can kill your big expensive snake. Buying 30+ lbs of frozen rabbits is gonna break the bank if you are not prepared. And if you were to buy LIVE rabbits, I can't imagine what the cost would be.

For 6mos worth of research, you seem to be lacking several basic facts.

fredrick

5 Year Member
I'm 22. And yeah I have done 6 months of reading about them. An do u have a problem with the way I rite things. So I rite thing different. I don't care and nether should u.

Meg90

5 Year Member
I don't like it when people brutalize the English language. If I wasn't going into zoology, I would be a writing major.

Not writing things correctly makes you look lazy, or unintelligent.

People don't take you seriously, and it makes you sound like a child.

If you have done 6mos worth of research, then you should be fully prepared, not hunting for basic facts. I have also seen anas on KS several times in the past. Fauna classifieds as well. CL too in some cases.

fredrick

5 Year Member
Y do u say 6mos if u like to spell things the rite way. Now that's lazy to. And I have seen the ones on ks 2 I'm waitng 6 months b4 I might EVEN get one.

Beazer

5 Year Member
Okay, fred... I am a mod and all so I will make this short and sweet. I would like for you to tell me if you suffer of any mental disabilities just to be fair and I am not being a jerk. If not and English is your primary language, then please type properly to the best of your knowledge. Otherwise I WILL BAN YOU. Also, watch how many topics you make because most of your topics really have no learning value or point to them and seem to make a mockery of this forum. This forum is a place for people to come together peacefully and learn. However, what you are doing is just asking questions with no real intent to learn. Thats my first and Last warning.

-Jon DeLong

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Most of there answers to your question are good and helpful but I thought I'd add my two cents. As for size in green or yellow anacondas I think it has greatly to do with their locality. I've seen adult yellows close to 14 feet(obviously female) as well as a breeding pair of yellows both under 8 feet. The smaller pair I saw at a reptile shop in tallahassee many years ago when I was in eighth grade I believe. It took much convincing but I finally persuaded my parents that I could handle a "tiny" yellow anaconda :-D .. I'll never forget the guy picking up my baby and getting tagged over and over on the hands before packaging him up and I was good to go.. I kept him like any of my other snakes except he always had a bowl large enough to soak in comfortably(otherwise they'll displace all the water trying their best to fit in a smaller bowl). I worked with him day after day basically having him out from the time I got home from school until I went to bed. I used gloves at first until he got alittle used to me and eventually no gloves were needed. I had this boy for 8 years before rehoming him when I left college. He was at the time ~7 feet and had bit me around seven times(not counting the "taming" process). Keep in mind I handled this snake almost daily for 8 years but about once a year he just felt the need to rip into me :-D .. it was the darndest thing.. Most snakes you can find a reason for being bit..you startled them, smelled like rodent, or they're just in a bad mood, etc.. not so with this boy. I would be holding him like always and he'd just turn his head and calmly sink his teeth in before resuming normal "tame" posture. There would be no strike, no repeat bites, just a head turn and quite a bit of blood. I'm not quite sure what I'm trying to tell you other than some of my own limited experience with one example of this species. I considered my anaconda one of my tamest snakes but it's also the only snake I had that I wouldn't let other people hold because he was unpredictable, even if only once a year.. Also think hard about what you will do with your anaconda should you discover he's more than you wish to handle. They're not the easiest animals to find people to take in, especially if you care about their well-being.

I forgot to mention their tendency to be bad muskers.. and yes, it's a bad one :shock:

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Beazer said:
Okay, fred... I am a mod and all so I will make this short and sweet. I would like for you to tell me if you suffer of any mental disabilities just to be fair and I am not being a jerk. If not and English is your primary language, then please type properly to the best of your knowledge. Otherwise I WILL BAN YOU. Also, watch how many topics you make because most of your topics really have no learning value or point to them and seem to make a mockery of this forum. This forum is a place for people to come together peacefully and learn. However, what you are doing is just asking questions with no real intent to learn. Thats my first and Last warning.

-Jon DeLong
Help is on the way.

Beazer

5 Year Member
Thanks Dave. Now with that crap settled. This is kind of a good thread to learn from. JohnMatthew, thanks for sharing your experiences. I've kept greens before, never owned yellows but definitely worked with them. Well, I take that back, I had a yellow when I was younger (about cornkings age) and it was loaded with worms so Dr. K took it in and had LLL refund me.
Green anacondas I like. I think its mostly the wc ones that have the nasty bites or ones kept improperly which definitely causes bacterial infections to develope. But they are easy to care for. I kept mine with a huge water dish, appropriate sized rubbermaids/sterilite containers make awesome water dishes, and then 3/4's of the cage was land with also some climbing space. They were a bit nippy when they were younger but as they got older they were calm but I have noticed with greens, and yellows, they dont really strike when they are older, rather they all the sudden start to chew on you cause they smell something delicious lol (as JohnMatthews was saying with yellows).
Yellows I worked with (not owned) were kept just the same as the greens and how JohnMatthew described. They did seem a bit more readily to take food on as well and have a stronger feeding response. I think the biggest mistake people make with these, along with many other snakes, is they think that these animals need constant moist conditions (hence the bacterial problems in the mouth which may lead to an infectious bite) so they provide too much humidity for too long, rather than just a big bowl for them to soak in and a couple mists here and there with good ventilation. I like the size yellow anacondas get because though it is large (for females), its manageable (males in the Eunectes genus being much, much more smaller than females). The only difference I like to do is have a cage for these guys to be 3/4's their body and about 2-3ft tall for adults, for babies I like half body length and about 12-14 inches.
Thanks again John (is Matthew your last name or apart of your first name?) for hearing your care information. Sounds like you definitely did a great job. Did you ever notice that the yellow anacondas seem to have more of a head insecurity, more so than most snakes? I noticed with a few that they had this thing where if you got 6 inches from their head, theyd do this wierd turn around snap lol. Ive seen other snakes do it, venomous as well, but these guys seemed to have a complex where even if you baaaaaarely touched it, BAM lol.

-Jon DeLong

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Matthew is my middle name but yeah, I forgot about the head shyness. Yellows in particular are extremely head shy/agressive. I think it might have something to do with them being such extreme ambush predators and going long periods without food in the wild - something gets near their head and instincts take over(grab if hungry or recoil if not). I managed to find some pictures my sister took back in 2005 the yellow is the fat one :-D

conda1.jpg

conda2.jpg

conda3.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980