• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

yellow anaconda

fredrick

5 Year Member
Does or has anyone ever had one. And do the males eat rabbits. I think I'm getting 1 in a couple of month like 6 months

Meg90

5 Year Member
Anacondas are not colubrids. Do some research. They get quite large. Red Tails can easily eat rabbits in adulthood. I would guess that male and female anas would eat them no problem.

And not just one in a sitting either. Prolly more like 6-7 when fully grown. That's not cheap.

cornking4

5 Year Member
They also require amphibious 10'x10' enclosures which require constant cleaning and can easily turn into cess pools of disease and bacteria. If you're looking for a large snake, stick to a red tail or a burm. Rock pythons do well in captivity also. Just research it a little or talk to a breeder who knows what they're talking about.

fredrick

5 Year Member
I have been reading about them 4 about 5 months. And I want a male because the only grow 6. to 8 ft. I need 2 find a breeder

cornking4

5 Year Member
It all depends on your level of experience. Most breeders I've talked to warn against them because of their aggression and difficult husbandry. Reading internet sites can give you facts, but only speaking with a breeder in person will let you make an informed decision. I'd recommend going to a reptile show where you can talk to breeders of large snakes and get the opinions of experts.

fredrick

5 Year Member
Iv have a buddy that had a yellow and she was really really tame. Like almost puppy dog tame. She never bit him at at. She was beautiful

kaa

5 Year Member
In the amount of research I have done, Alot, you just take care of them like a tic or a burm. They do like to be in the water, but it is not required, and in some cases, it can be more dangerous for them. They develop water blisters. Like most snakes, they like a smaller cage, the l=1/2 the snake length, and w=1/4 snake length works. They are also more terrestrial, so height is not a big factor. Females average somewhere around 12 feet, males around 8, so a cage that is 6x3x2 would be good, they do require around 60% humidity, and they like to poo in the water, and make a mess of the cage, so they do require alot of attention. They can be kept on news paper, a paper bedding is recommended. You can feed them frozen baby pigs, they are not quite as big as the green, so they don't need as big a food source. They are taken care of like any other snake. For more info, check out ben renicks website. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.benrenick.com/care_yellow_anaconda.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.benrenick.com/care_yellow_anaconda.pdf</a><!-- m -->

fredrick

5 Year Member
Yaaa. The r like other big snakes. I want a male cause they get smaller. I love how they look. Have u ever seen one or had one?

kaa

5 Year Member
Na, I got a water monitor instead. That is also not an animal to just buy on a whim, I made that mistake, and I am just now learning how to properly take care of mine, and it is really rewarding. After a year of hissing and biting and tail whipping, he is finally letting me hold him, and pet him. Do the research, make sure you are able to take care of the animal. It is worth the wait.

cornking4

5 Year Member
According to Dr Driggers (herp vet with 14 years practicing) and many breeders at the Tucson Reprile Show, they don't make very good pets and should probably be left to experienced keepers only. That's my source of information.

cornking4

5 Year Member
I'm not questioning your judgement here, I'm just trying to ensure you're well informed. If the #1 herp vet in Arizona says they're a handful, I'll listen to him instead of trusting a book or website. It's important to be open minded about acquiring these animals and be willing to change your mind if you get conflicting opinions. As with any large animal, it should be a priority to go to a reptile show and talk to the breeders in person, as they can assist you in making a 100% informed decision and prevent you from buying a snake that's too aggressive for you to handle. In the end, it's up to you, just please make an educated choice.

One of the reasons why they're recommended for experienced handlers is that their bite is extremely bad and infectious, and easy to get because they are aggressive. Just please keep that in mind.

cornking4

5 Year Member
Yes, they're beautiful, but must be kept properly. What I'm recommending is that you act like a responsible caretaker and speak in person with a breeder. Small bits of information that can't be found on websites can often mean the difference between life and death in these animals.

cornking4

5 Year Member
Going to a reptile show can be a good experience too. It allows you to gain even more knowledge than if you just spoke to one person and get in touch with fellow keepers.

cornking4

5 Year Member
age isn't the issue here, and I'm not trying to be confrontational toward you. I'm just offering my own advice and the advice of a herp vet, take it or leave it. If I was willing to take 15 minutes of my time to type up all of this stuff then at least feel grateful. Jeez. No need to talk down to me.

cornking4

5 Year Member
And don't think I'm just some stupid little kid that doesn't know what the hell he's saying. I may be 14 but I'm taking dual enrollment college courses and interning in a vet clinic (not meaning to boast, just wanted to let you know that I know what I'm talking about)

fredrick

5 Year Member
Noooo kid. I am very greatful. I am happy ur telling me this stuff but I alread no that I have 2 take to a breeder... thank u so much for giving me ur advice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980