• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Yellow anaconda or albino burmese python?

F69erFred

5 Year Member
Iv been thinking and doing some research about both of them but I would rather get an so advice from someone who has orbhas had one or maybe both. Well to get to the point what do u guys think makes a better pet, Easyer to care for, all around better snake? So thanks guys.

F69erFred

5 Year Member
Can anyone help me on this? I would really like the help of someone who has or had one or the other.

Marlene

5 Year Member
It really depends on how much snake experience you have. I've never had either of the two, but I've worked with a few Burmese pythons, and they seem to be very great snakes, but they get to be very big! The yellow anaconda can get fairly large as well, with females coming close to 15 feet long, or even hitting the 15 foot mark. From what I've heard about yellow anacondas is that you REALLY need to handle them a lot as babies, otherwise they can be extremely aggressive. So, really, it depends upon your experience and if you have the room for such a large, and potentially aggressive, creature. I hope that helps out a bit, I've only ever owned a red tail boa and dumerils boa (it's actually my boyfriends, but my red tail lives with the dumerils and I had them under my care for a while), and just helped out with multiple other snake species.

F69erFred

5 Year Member
I am thinking of going with the yellow Annie because as you said " they are a very large snake". What do you think about dwarfs?

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
Looking at your current animal list I can not recommend getting either of these animals. They both get very large and I have had experience with both species. The two yellows I have handled are extremely aggressive and also enjoy musking on you. The burmese I have worked with are tame but very large. I would seriously suggest getting something along the lines of a woma or something smaller than the species you listed.

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
You can get whatever you want but if you aren't going to listen to peoples advice don't post a topic about it. I am just saying, consider the fact that you have 2 small snakes and one small tegu and then you want to plunge into very large snakes? That is not very intelligent...

nemo66

5 Year Member
i would say the burm if you are positively interested in a large snake. i mean they make an all around better pet then an annie. the main thing to consider though is have you had experience with a snake larger than a boa? i would guess you haven't just due to the fact that you have to ask witch would make a better pet. you have to think of the well being of snake 2. i mean, think of it like this. witch would you be able to provide a better life for? an aggresive hard to handle annie or a more tame but still large burm. once a snake reaches the 10 to 12 foot mark it is almost always required to have a helper who is also experienced with herps to help you. i mean a 18 annie or burm could totally kill you if you didnt have assistance. if you want to come on to a popular forum and ask a question like this then it is in my opinion you need to do more researcher and are not yet prepared for a task like this. but if you must you still need to consider the life of the snake. i would sugjest the burm though if you must, the only reason im saying is because i can tell you are going to do what you want anyway. i hate seeing ppl who have no knowledge of what there getting into and the pet having to pay the final price

F69erFred

5 Year Member
I have a 4 foot red gu I have 3 foot bp and a 7 foot dumeril boa and a mall yellow Annie only gets 8 to 10 foot. It's not a green annie that gets 25 foot

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
Okay, A. I have kept all of the animals you currently have and none are anything like the two species you want go get in the size or risk levels. Second a properly fed 10 foot snake that wants to make you bleed is going to cause some serious damage when it bites you. Also, what size cage would you be putting whichever of these you decide to get in as an adult?

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
I had a yellow anaconda and a coastal carpet python about 12 years ago. Both were in my possession for six years. They are the only snakes I've ever owned. I loved that yellow like it was my kid. I handled here two or three times a day for 3 years and she never bit...... Until one day. I'd just watched a show on Discovery about wild anacondas in Venezuela. The host of the show was out in the pampas searching for them. At one point he grabbed a 7 footer (same size as mine) by the head and opened it's mouth to show it's dentition. I was kind of intimidated when I saw it. I always knew it was there, just never had to face it being used for business purposes on me.
Well, we had a little get together. 3 girls came over to have drinks with my roomate and I. They were very nice looking women. After I had a few drinks and one or two other little things, my roomate decided to tell the girls that I had an actual anaconda in my bedroom. I never told guests about my animals. That's enough to make some people uncomfortable, so it was out of courtesy. They didn't buy it and thought it was a come on. Then the badgered me about it for an hour (3 more bourbon and cokes) or so. Finally I said "okay, I'll show you". I took one of the ladies back to see Agatha the anaconda that was up to this point the most gentle snake possible. I opened her enclosure and she was sleeping in her water pool. I reached in more slowly than normal out of caution. The program from earlier created doubt and fear in my mind. I grabbed her gently near the center of a big coil. As I lifted her out she just hammered me on the wrist and would not let go. She KNEW I was uneasy and I paid the price.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It depends on locality, you can get a yellow anaconda that maxes out ~7feet but make sure you see the parents first :-D .. they are heavy muskers until tamed down a bit but not overly agressive biters after a little work(usually one hit and back to semi-calm). Tupinambisfamiliaris, that story made me laugh but also scared, alcohol and handling reptiles is never a clever mix :doh

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
Yeah there are a lot of adult yellows available on kingsnake which are probably what sparked his interest. Also a dumerils boa is a lot slower and a lot more docile than an anaconda.

F69erFred

5 Year Member
Well cages for an adult yellow that was about umm 8 or 9 foot I would place in a 12 footer. In that story I beat the girl was scared sh*t lest haha.

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
So what you are saying is you will build a 12 by 2.5 by unknown foot cage and put in your room? What are the dimensions of your room? I am assuming you have a bed.... Just pointing out this is a lil bit unrealistic.

KSTAR

5 Year Member
Ive kept both types before and they both get huge lol but my Burmese was a lot calmer and more laid back as time went by with some handling everyday while my yellow was very shy and responded with biting so i had to put way more time into her but after about a month of constant attention and patience she was a doll and i loved the both of them but the anacondas are a lot more shy than other snakes so when i took her out i would have to stay still for a bit until she knew what was going on while my Burmese i can take out and go wherever with and he was cool with it so as long as you have the patience and space i think with work and time either one will be great but if you haven't had a lot of snake experience maybe a smaller breed might be cool to hope this helps

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980