• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Want to get a snake help to choose the rite one

cornking4

5 Year Member
I understand that 100%, and I prefer to raise snakes from babies as well... it gives you more of a sense of accomplishment when you can see them go from hatchling to adult in your care. What you should do in that case is to buy a well-started baby from a reputable breeder. Well-started babies have already had their first few meals and are very hardy while still being near-hatchling age.

Check out <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bhbreptiles.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.bhbreptiles.com</a><!-- w -->. they're running a black Friday sale today for about 25% off colubrids. They're extremely honest and experienced breeders and have many morphs of gopher and corn snakes for sale, although I personally prefer corns...

joog

5 Year Member
Maybe a Elaphe schrenckii, or a Elaphe taeniura friesei . Thy are not to small, and not to dificuld to take care off.

joog

5 Year Member
Maybe a Elaphe schrenckii, or a Elaphe taeniura friesei . Thy are not to small, and not to dificuld to take care off.

cornking4

5 Year Member
Those species can cost up to $100 for a hatchling and probably wouldn't be the best starter. taterbug, if you want an excellent beginner snake, stick to what Jon and I were talking about (gophers or corns). They can be more colorful than beauty snakes or russian rats and will cost much less, and if you want a 5+ footer, go with the gopher.

joog

5 Year Member
realy 100$, here around 10 to 20 euro. And they are not so difficult? How com you think so???

cornking4

5 Year Member
The nearest exotic pet store sells taiwanese rat hatchlings for $100, as apparently they're hard to come by around here, and I was unable to locate an online seller. I was considering purchasing one myself a few years ago but after being bitten several times and the snake darting out of my hands, I changed my mind and bought a cal king.

As for the russian rat, no local breeders exist and I was once again unable to locate them for sale online. they're also flighty, or so I've heard from the owner of Pets, Inc. who used to breed them.

As a beginner, you need an inexpensive, easily tamed colubrid that is still beautiful, and the corn or gopher snake fulfills that need, taterbug. Were you able to check out bhbreptiles.com? Reptile shows near you will also carry well-started baby corns and gophers.

joog

5 Year Member
here in holland they are not hard to get. I had both species in my colection, and no problems what so ever! The snakes are a little nervous, but not really difficult to handle.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Corn snake still gets my vote. I've picked up wild corns, taken one bite, and then they're calm as can be - like I'd been handling them for years. I can't think of a better beginning snake to be honest. Whatever you choose the best of luck to you, and don't forget to post pics.

cornking4

5 Year Member
And as mentioned earlier, if you want a snake that gets larger than 5', check into gopher snakes. Their temperments are almost parallel to corn snakes' and they can get up to seven feet long.

herper9

5 Year Member
I'd have to agree with Cornking and Jon. These are my picks, (not in any particular order.) Corn, King, Gopher. Shoot, even some garter snakes are pretty easy to take care of, though they can be a little flighty. I've picked up Kings out of the wild, taken a bite or two, been skunked, then they calm down. Within a week we always had them "tamed" Even out of the wild they never went off feed.

Sakara

5 Year Member
Honestly, the way I see it is... Why get a snake that you don't want just because it's considered a "beginner snake"? I started with boas... I think they are great, and really not that hard to keep... As long as you do the research and take PROPER care of the animal you should not have a problem... Now I am not saying go get a burm or a retic... That would be stupid... But a male boa would be nice if you want a larger snake but not something huge... Do research on whatever snake you decide you want... That's always the most important thing to do first... I honestly think that boas are great... They don't grow that fast and you can grow with your snake... Get a male from a good breeder if you want a boa as your first snake... most of my almost 2 year old boas are just under or just over the 4foot mark... and that's not THAT big... My 3 year old albino female is a little over 5feet and pretty thick... That gives you an idea of how quick they grow... My fully mature 7 1/2foot female is 10 years old........

If you have any questions about boas and/or boa species let me know ;) I think they are wonderful and they would be my pick when choosing a "large snake" that isn't a giant snake, lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980