• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Want to get a snake help to choose the rite one

taterbug

5 Year Member
I want 1 that has the best temperament and gets really large and not to much trouble keeping it healthy.Any help would be greatly apreciated :?:

cornking4

5 Year Member
Big snakes like larger pythons and boas would be your worst choice. They're expensive and difficult to keep and aren't for beginners.

What you would want to get is a corn snake. They are extremely easy to care for and have the best temperment of any snake, plus theyre available in hundreds of beautiful morphs. They get to be about 4' long at around 3 years of age and can live up to 20 years. Plus, they are dependable eaters, meaning they don't go off feed like ball pythons, which saves vet visits and headaches.

If you'd like to look at some of the morphs available, go to <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cornsnake.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.cornsnake.net</a><!-- w -->. The owner, Don Soderburg, really knows what he's doing and is an elite breeder.

ReptileFinatic

5 Year Member
Milk Snakes also get big, Black Milk Snakes get up to 7ft. i heard (not sure if true, but i heard it). But Im not sure on temperment but i wouldnt think it would be bad.

cornking4

5 Year Member
I've heard that they can be pretty flighty... A far as a "perfect" starter snake, corn snakes are your best bet.

ReptileFinatic

5 Year Member
Cornking4 I read the other post saying your breed corns, have you bred your kings? just curious lol,

and ya I would go with corns.

cornking4

5 Year Member
Funny thing with the kings, my female is extremely stubborn and refuses to ovulate hahaha. She also will only eat AFRICAN rats but won't touch brown rats, and will only drink out of a blue bowl. It's funny how they can have their own personalities, isn't it? I guess she just inists on being my spoiled little girl :-D

cornking4

5 Year Member
But yeah, taterbug, the reason I recommend corns is that I have a female adult and she's a sweetheart, never bitten anyone and always comes out of her hide to see me. She eats like a pig too, and won't pass up a meal for anything... My male's the same way. Something about a cornsnake just makes you fall in love with them... "cornsnake" and "perfect pet" are pretty much synonymous.

cornking4

5 Year Member
As I said before, you're a beginner. In the snake world, you need to work your way up to big snakes, otherwise you'll have an 8 foot dead snake on your hands. Please take the advice of someone that's been through it and get a corn. They're very rewarding snakes, too :-D

taterbug

5 Year Member
I got a tegu liz and I really like it.But I have always wanted to get a snake too.So I am going to get one when I can decide wich one is good for me...thanks for the input.

ReptileFinatic

5 Year Member
ball pythons are beautiful, but like Corn said they some times pass up meals but when I get my first snake thats what Im getting lol, what ever you chose though make sure to do research before you get it.

cornking4

5 Year Member
Ball pythons are good if you have experience enough not to get worried when they go off feed. They'll sometimes refuse food for up to six months, sometimes longer, so you have to have easy access to a herp vet to make sure parasites or bacteria aren't causing their fast.

cornking4

5 Year Member
Is there a reason why you want a large snake, taterbug? Because keepers usually get large snakes for the challenge, not necessarily for their looks.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If it's your first snake I agree with what has already been suggested, corn snake. Anytime someone asks me what a good beginner snake is that's my answer and they're darn right gorgeous, even the normal color phase!

Beazer

5 Year Member
Rosy Boas are great beginner snakes. The only thing you'd have to watch for is feeding. The biggest mistake (with other snakes as well) that people tend to make is over feeding their rosy boas.
Ball pythons awesome as well, if you can get directly from a breeder, true CB (captive born) babies. Try switching them over to rats or find a breeder who has them started on rats. It will save you money when ther get older. As said earlier they sometimes, even the CB on occasion, have this thing where they go off feed and can be very difficult to get back on, or you just have to wait. Just be sure to read up on this. A lot of people blame breeding season and what not, though in some cases that may be true, I think the biggest problem with them too is over feeding or people arent realizing to just put hte snake in a dark area and let it eat (ball pythons can get very stressed out). If you do get one and have any questions on it, feel free to pm me because I have a lot to type on that subject lol.
Cornsnakes are cool and all but I have seen a lot of instances beginners really screw up and kill the babies (being they are pretty small fragile). If you can get your hands on an adult that somebody had given up and it is sweet, I would get that for a first snake. As mentioned earlier, they typically are great snakes.
Also, if you can find a breeder of captive born Gopher snakes somewhere, they make awesome pets. Sometimes the babies are a little bit nippy but they calm down fast. Also, they are a large colubrid so not only do you have a snake (if female) that will get up to 7ft+, but its also sweet and manageable. The babies are really hardy as well.
Big snakes are over rated. Most of them get rather boring. If people are looking for a challenge, they will be disappointed. The only challenge to big snakes is finding the room to keep it and the food for the adults lol. Though, you do have that lil bit of risk of strangulation, but if you are a moron who doesnt ahve friends aruond when you move it then you kinda deserve it lol.
Sooo, all and all I think if you want a "big" snake rather than a huge snake that is easy to care for, go with a gopher snake. If you decide on a smaller snake, try out a Rosy Boa or an adult cornsnake. Goodluck.

-Jon DeLong

taterbug

5 Year Member
I want to get it while it is young and watch it grow into a full grown adult.That way I will know all about my snake there will be no question as to how it was treated and junk like that and it will be very friendly.If you follow me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980