• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tonight is a Sad Night

Aardbark

5 Year Member
This is such a sad thred. I mean really sad. I teard up at these sad stories.

All I can say is that my heart goes out to anyone that has lost a pet. Its true that they become our family, and it hurts to loose them. I want to give everyone that lost somone important to them, a *biiiig huuuug*. Espesualy to the ones that lost them in a tramatic way. Its one thing to have a peacefull death, its another to have a painfull one.

*Hugs out to everyboy*

m3s4

Name: Sam
Type: Lizard, Colombian Black & Gold Tegu
Cause of death: Mauled by dog

Very sad night for my gf and I. Our Tegu, Sam, was mauled by a dog I recently took into our home. (This dog is now being removed from the home and placed into a rescue)

The dog was inside of a large iron cage. This particular dog cage has two hinging slide type locks. This dog was able to shake and manipulate the cage enough to get the top lock to open. That's when all hell broke loose.

At the time this dog got out, Sam was with our 5 year old B&W Tegu inside of a small nylon dog carrier sleeping while I was away running errands. I came back to find that when the dog escaped, he was able to bite and pounce on Sam through the nylon sides of the carrier - enough to cause severe trauma and I'm sure, internal bleeding and/or organ damage as well as massive damage to his tail.

Needless to say, he succumbed to his injuries and his life was cut short by a very unfortunate, as well as preventable, accident.

Sam was extremely tame for a Black and Gold Tegu and we worked very hard to socialize him with people and got him to the point he didn't need a harness of any kind while basking, roaming or walking in parks or at home.

He slept in multiple blankets and enjoyed a heating pad on low while resting or sleeping. As Karri and I used to joke, "He knew no dirt", and was very fond of pillows, piles of sheets and bed-spreads.

His favorite part of the day was soaking after a nice bask, where we'd let warm, gentle water from the shower sprinkle him and his back. Every now and again he'd get rubbed down with pure coconut-oil - typically before and after sheds.

I think the only thing he enjoyed more then a warm shower (or eating eggs and turkey) was when we would take him on trips and walk him in the dog stroller Karri got him...He was as relaxed and content as could be while we pushed him along and people would come up to check out, what they thought was a baby - only to find an adorable, extremely healthy, happy Tegu peering back at them.

He was also the star of the show at the Pueblo Car show here in Colorado for the passed 3 years...Many people knew us BECAUSE of Sam - not the other way around. Many people were just as interested in him, as they were some of the hot-rods at the show.

We raised him from a 5 week-old little adolescent (And had NO idea just how laid back, fun, cool, intelligent and emotional he would be) until his untimely death.

He is and always will be, greatly missed.

Our little boy.

-Tommy and Karri

sam2js.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

samub.jpg

sam3y.jpg

Sirhc401

I'm with Aardbark on this one. What a dreadful night. Or few days my god. I feel like cuddling up to all my reptiles now and giving them anything They want and loving them like crazy. I'm so sorry for everyone who has lost a pet. I have been through it too. Fortunately all my reptile buddies are young and I have not had to experience one of their deaths. But if I did...I could not even imagine...RIP...all pets who have passed :(

martinreptiles_3

I am sorry for your loss, hang in there, don't blame yourself. Things happen for a reason and try not to beat yourself up, there was nothing you could do :(. Thoughts are with you!

DragonsDen

Logie_Bear said:
Got home tonight after a very long day at work. Doing the nightly misting/checks of the critters and my little baby texas ratsnake is having some sort of seizure. Throwing his head around, biting at the air and just generally acting like he was in alot of pain. His stomach also looked like it was somehow distended, but he hadnt had anything to eat in almost a week. Long story short, after about 15 min of my looking on helplessly and nothing I could do he died. This is the first reptile I've ever lost. And... shock to say the least. I just... dont understand why. He was just a baby. Probably about 6 months old. I feel like a failure of a mom. :/

I'm so sorry for your loss...it never easy
m3s4 said:
Name: Sam
Type: Lizard, Colombian Black & Gold Tegu
Cause of death: Mauled by dog

Very sad night for my gf and I. Our Tegu, Sam, was mauled by a dog I recently took into our home. (This dog is now being removed from the home and placed into a rescue)

The dog was inside of a large iron cage. This particular dog cage has two hinging slide type locks. This dog was able to shake and manipulate the cage enough to get the top lock to open. That's when all hell broke loose.

At the time this dog got out, Sam was with our 5 year old B&W Tegu inside of a small nylon dog carrier sleeping while I was away running errands. I came back to find that when the dog escaped, he was able to bite and pounce on Sam through the nylon sides of the carrier - enough to cause severe trauma and I'm sure, internal bleeding and/or organ damage as well as massive damage to his tail.

Needless to say, he succumbed to his injuries and his life was cut short by a very unfortunate, as well as preventable, accident.

Sam was extremely tame for a Black and Gold Tegu and we worked very hard to socialize him with people and got him to the point he didn't need a harness of any kind while basking, roaming or walking in parks or at home.

He slept in multiple blankets and enjoyed a heating pad on low while resting or sleeping. As Karri and I used to joke, "He knew no dirt", and was very fond of pillows, piles of sheets and bed-spreads.

His favorite part of the day was soaking after a nice bask, where we'd let warm, gentle water from the shower sprinkle him and his back. Every now and again he'd get rubbed down with pure coconut-oil - typically before and after sheds.

I think the only thing he enjoyed more then a warm shower (or eating eggs and turkey) was when we would take him on trips and walk him in the dog stroller Karri got him...He was as relaxed and content as could be while we pushed him along and people would come up to check out, what they thought was a baby - only to find an adorable, extremely healthy, happy Tegu peering back at them.

He was also the star of the show at the Pueblo Car show here in Colorado for the passed 3 years...Many people knew us BECAUSE of Sam - not the other way around. Many people were just as interested in him, as they were some of the hot-rods at the show.

We raised him from a 5 week-old little adolescent (And had NO idea just how laid back, fun, cool, intelligent and emotional he would be) until his untimely death.

He is and always will be, greatly missed.

Our little boy.

-Tommy and Karri

sam2js.jpg

samub.jpg

sam3y.jpg

I'm sorry for your loss

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics