• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tonight is a Sad Night

Logie_Bear

Got home tonight after a very long day at work. Doing the nightly misting/checks of the critters and my little baby texas ratsnake is having some sort of seizure. Throwing his head around, biting at the air and just generally acting like he was in alot of pain. His stomach also looked like it was somehow distended, but he hadnt had anything to eat in almost a week. Long story short, after about 15 min of my looking on helplessly and nothing I could do he died. This is the first reptile I've ever lost. And... shock to say the least. I just... dont understand why. He was just a baby. Probably about 6 months old. I feel like a failure of a mom. :/

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sorry for your loss, not all animals are destined to live long lives unfortunately. :(

Dirtydmc

Hey, its a shity thing to go through. It really sucks. I had to put my first dog down cuz he was meaner than hot peppers coming out in a bad way. I cried for a few weeks. Last week tank, (my first black and white) jumped off the couch and died. 4 am, crying while trying to take a leak. I've been to funerals for humans and helped carry their caskets, seen enough people die a bloody death in front of my eyes, am a trained mma fighter, but when a pet dies, I break. I'm sorry for you. It sucks bad. Our animals are perfect. Yeah they might crap on us, maybe bite us, but they are our children.

My heart feels your pain.

babyyitslove

I totally feel ya, dirty.
My favorite cat got out of the house while I was gone taking a piss test for a new job.... came home and my sister in law met me at the door and tells me that my OWN DOGS killed him. Pissed me off because when the dogs were inside with us, the cat would cuddle with them. And he gets out, doesn't run because he trusts them, and they kill him?!

Needless to say, I was down My Favorite Cat and two dogs that day.

Still get a knot in my throat when I see his pictures. He didn't deserve it... not by far.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
wow im sry to hear that. my first snake died on me after about 5 years.one day i was looking at in her cage and she started throwing up her intestines she kept doing it for a bout 20 min before i decided to put her out of her misery.there was blood everywhere in her cage from what she was doing.=/ and i felt terrible that there was nothing i could do to help her i think some people dont seem to realize that we dont think of them as pets we think of them as part of the family or our own children.

Logie_Bear

frost said:
wow im sry to hear that. my first snake died on me after about 5 years.one day i was looking at in her cage and she started throwing up her intestines she kept doing it for a bout 20 min before i decided to put her out of her misery.there was blood everywhere in her cage from what she was doing.=/ and i felt terrible that there was nothing i could do to help her i think some people dont seem to realize that we dont think of them as pets we think of them as part of the family or our own children.

I cant imagine.... I would have been a total wreck. I'm so sorry that happened to your baby. Any idea what would cause something like that? :/
JohnMatthew said:
Sorry for your loss, not all animals are destined to live long lives unfortunately. :(

It is unfortunate. He always seemed a little.... 'off'. But I'd never thought anything of it. I'm wondering if it could have anything to do with genetics. He was a leucistic, which I imagine if you looked at the lineage, comes with a good bit of inbreeding. But, who knows really.

Gedy

Sorry for your loss, it is never easy. Try not to beat yourself up over it and you have my sympathy

Logie_Bear

Pyr0kinesis said:
That sucks man. I just lost my first reptile (bearded dragon) last night too.:(

I'm so sorry to hear that. :( How old was he? My best friend lost her beardie last month too. He was about 6 years old. Real cutie. :(

I think the moral here is F*** Mondays.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
My heart is broken and bleeding for your loss. As a snake guy myself, I know how easy it is to get attached to the legless little buggers. The distended stomach sounds like a carcinoma to me; that's what killed my Cali kingsnake, Diane. She had a bulge that looked like a food lump but felt like air. The only bad thing about pets is that unless you get a macaw, koi, or tortoise, they don't live forever. You'll see him again some day, but in the meantime try to feel better.

In honor of your ratsnake, here's some snake-themed metal. Hope it helps. Rock on, Logie's ratsnake. \m/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tzqGVWriPo

Logie_Bear

dragonmetalhead said:
My heart is broken and bleeding for your loss. As a snake guy myself, I know how easy it is to get attached to the legless little buggers. The distended stomach sounds like a carcinoma to me; that's what killed my Cali kingsnake, Diane. She had a bulge that looked like a food lump but felt like air. The only bad thing about pets is that unless you get a macaw, koi, or tortoise, they don't live forever. You'll see him again some day, but in the meantime try to feel better.

In honor of your ratsnake, here's some snake-themed metal. Hope it helps. Rock on, Logie's ratsnake. \m/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tzqGVWriPo

Hah, that song is pretty awesome. Thank you so much Dragon. :) I'm really sorry about your king. But what you described does sound very similar to what he looked like. The thing that floors me tho, is that he was so little and young! And, i dunno... I'd hate to think he had cancer so young.

Because he was leucistic, you could actually see through his skin and it was a definate bulge that was big and light pink. It definately looked like it was filled with fluid. In hindsight I probably should have stuck him in the fridge and gotten a necropsy, but its too late now. I buried him last night, and digging him out of his grave would feel too wrong. :/

Pyr0kinesis

[/quote]

I'm so sorry to hear that. :( How old was he? My best friend lost her beardie last month too. He was about 6 years old. Real cutie. :(

I think the moral here is F*** Mondays.
[/quote]

Can't say, I got her as an adult. The place I got her from didn't know the age either unfortunatly.

got10

A virus ran through my bearded dragon colony and wiped them all out within a two week period . I was going crazy they were healthy one day looked sick on day two and on day three they were dead .I was devastated.
I put them in the freezer til I could get to the vet whom told me that whatever was in them , was now dead because i froze it.
Don't feel bad . It happens to us all one day or another whenever you own any animal unless it outlives you.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
I'm glad the song helped. I've been listening to it a lot myself as my rosy boa passed yesterday. I appreciate your condolences for Diane but she died a decade ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029