• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Those with multiple Tegus?

DMBizeau

robnpg said:
We shall see Dave, 3 Tegus and the wife might pack her bags...Hmmm, I suppose 3 is too many for an 8x4 enclosure huh? Dang, I guess the wife will stay... :(

LOL, I told my wife I was only going to get 1.......now I have 5 with 6 and 7 on the way......

robnpg

5 Year Member
Ha! You guys do it and ya do it well! I feel like suchh a rookie with my dog and frilled dragon! Well, I do have a Cali round stingray! :)

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DMBizeau said:
robnpg said:
We shall see Dave, 3 Tegus and the wife might pack her bags...Hmmm, I suppose 3 is too many for an 8x4 enclosure huh? Dang, I guess the wife will stay... :(

LOL, I told my wife I was only going to get 1.......now I have 5 with 6 and 7 on the way......

i told myself i was just getting 1, then not even a year later i ended up with 4 and 2 on the way. i expect to have at least 5 by next year, tegus have become my favorite reptile by far.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
well i already have the high white b/w and the extreme giant coming from this season, i was planning on getting a blue or 2 from dave this winter but it may have to wait until next season.but nest season im definately getting 2 reds, 1 all american and another giant.

G

if you have 2 tegus from hatchlings. and they love each other to the point its difficult to separate them, will they always get along? or do they just one day turn on each other?

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
if you have 2 tegus from hatchlings. and they love each other to the point its difficult to separate them, will they always get along? or do they just one day turn on each other?

There are very few, if any, species of reptiles where the word "love" could even be used to describe their relationship to others of their kind. I think as far as tegus go, they can tolerate each other as long as both animals being kept together are getting what they require(ie, proper lighting, heat, food, etc). Personification in reptiles is a dangerous thing and can lead to not providing each individual animal with its basic needs when we try to attach certain tegu behaviors to those of humans.

G

i think they love each other... and I'm not sure how that would ever change how i care for them? i certainly did not ask for a lecture on personification..how i feel about my tegus is my business, and they get incredible care. so if you want me to rephrase i will...

i have two hatchlings who are difficult to separate, will they always get along? or will they one day turn on eachother?

brutus13

I bought two hatchlings from Bobby. One extra and one all american. Bobby said I would be fine. Even if they are 2 males. As long as they are raised together you "shouldn't" have a problem. I'm sure there are some rare cases!

TheTeguGurl

i have a male and a female, they are house seperate, but they do hang out together from time to time when they are free roaming together.. All though all my male wants to do is GET with her.. :doh And they were not hatchling together either..Every tegu will be diff.. :grno

G

Ok so I am going to bring this thread back to the top because I already have one Columbian black and white tegu and I just got a new Columbian gold and white, and I was wondering if I could keep them in the same enclosure? The one by black and white is currently living in is very very big considering he is only 18". Its 6 feet long. The new one is about the same size as he is. My plan was to keep her quarantined for a few more days and then begin to introduce them outside the enclosure, like in the living room, to see what they think of each other. If there appears to be no conflicts, do you think it would be alright to have them live together until they outgrow that enclosure? Its just that they're Columbians, not Argentines, I don't know if anyone on here has any experience with them, if they could possibly be more territorial or less tolerant of others sharing their space.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You'll more than likely be fine since they're both young and similarly sized. I don't think you'll see many signs of territoriality until they reach puberty which is why it's a good idea to get them used to each other at a younger age.

G

Ok great :) And actually Astrid is 4" shorter than he is, when I actually compared them side by side I realized just how much Teggie has grown in the last 2 months! Astrid is more the size of Teggie when I first got him lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu