• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Those with multiple Tegus?

robnpg

5 Year Member
I am one of those anxiously awaiting my normal B&W to hatched from Bobby's latest clutch. I am nearly finished with the new enclosure (8x4, will post pics when done). I have been thinking lately about the future and what if I end up wanting 2 Tegus.
For example, I've always been interested in possibly getting a Blue, but from speaking with Dave if I understand correctly, may have issues raising the B&W and the blue together....
So that all leads to to the question, if I ever decide I want two, would I be able to add a hatchling to an existing tegu's home, or would I have to add two hatchlings at the same time?

lazyjr52

5 Year Member
robnpg said:
So that all leads to to the question, if I ever decide I want two, would I be able to add a hatchling to an existing tegu's home, or would I have to add two hatchlings at the same time?

As long as they are similar in size yes.

But before making you're decision you should consider this....

All tegus do not get along with other tegus (depends on personality) especially if both are males.

Also are you prepared to house another adult tegu if they can't live together.

robnpg

5 Year Member
Makes sense. And yeah, no way I would do 2 enclosures. So looks like I may stay at 1...Hmmm....

DMBizeau

I currently house my giant and all american together and my two blues together and they all get along really well. In fact I rarely ever see them not laying on or next to each other. When we had the house fire and had to live with relatives for awhile I had all 4 sharing an enclosure. I had no problems whatsoever. I just made sure I introduced them somewhere outside the enclosure to make sure they got along and I rearranged the enclosure before I put them back in to make things look new so nobody got territorial. Just make sure you tegus are within a reasonable size of each other and well fed before you try.

Lazyjr52 - If you talk to Bobby most males actually don't mind each other at all, especially if there aren't any females around.

I agree with lazy on the rest of what he said, some tegus will just not tolerate another tegu. And you should always at least plan on being able to have an enclosure for every tegu. I house mine together because I honestly thinks it makes them feel more comfortable at the size they are at and lets them get used to other tegus.

lazyjr52

5 Year Member
DMBizeau said:
I currently house my giant and all american together and my two blues together and they all get along really well. In fact I rarely ever see them not laying on or next to each other. When we had the house fire and had to live with relatives for awhile I had all 4 sharing an enclosure. I had no problems whatsoever. I just made sure I introduced them somewhere outside the enclosure to make sure they got along and I rearranged the enclosure before I put them back in to make things look new so nobody got territorial.

Just make sure you tegus are within a reasonable size of each other and well fed before you try.

Lazyjr52 - If you talk to Bobby most males actually don't mind each other at all, especially if there aren't any females around.

Thanks, I was not aware of that.

I have a male and a female that I can't house together because I have no intentions of breeding them yet.

I hope my first post didn't seem like I was trying to discourage keeping tegus together. I just wanted to point out that anyone considering keeping multiple tegus should be prepared to house them sepratley just in case. I am speaking from my own personal experience of course. There was also a post on here awhile ago about how their tegu killed the other one in the cage and they were both about the same size.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
to minimize the possibility of your tegus squabbling try to introduce them a few times in an area thats neutral to both tegus, this way they can become familiar with each other. like dmbizeau said according to bobby most fights are between females rather than males. i personally never housed any of my tegus together because the size between each was to great to risk it, but i did allow them free-roam time in and out side and only had 2 incidents were a squabble occured. hate to say but once you get one its only a matter of time before you start caving a second one lol.

DMBizeau

Even if you had a single pair that had been housed together, as soon as they breed you have to separate them because the females become possesed after mating. All my adult females will have their own permanent enclosures and males introduced during breeding season then removed after.

What most people don't think about is building cages that stack on top of each other, takes up the same amount of space and let's you have more gus!

isdrake

5 Year Member
I agree with everyone else. Several Tegus can be housed together but there is always a risk that they don't get along. So I would recommend to not get another Tegu unless you are able to have two enclosures in your home.

I made that mistake. Shortly after we got our first Tegu I was contacted by a person who just recently had imported several Tegus about the same age as ours. And we all now how addictive Tegus are.. That combined with the fact that they are really hard to in Sweden made that we brought another one.

Luckily they got along great and there was never a problem. They lived together a few months and then we had to put the newest one to sleep because he was sick.

But I'm not doing the same mistake again. I want another Tegu but this time I will wait until we have moved to a bigger place. There is no way we can have another large enclosure where we live now. There was problematic getting enough room for one enclosure.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DMBizeau said:
Even if you had a single pair that had been housed together, as soon as they breed you have to separate them because the females become possesed after mating. All my adult females will have their own permanent enclosures and males introduced during breeding season then removed after.

What most people don't think about is building cages that stack on top of each other, takes up the same amount of space and let's you have more gus!

i agree 100%, i like the stacked cages ideas and i will probably use that when i get my 2 tegus if they happen to not get along.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DMBizeau said:
I have 3 cages stacked. You need to use a stool to get into the top one but it saves a lot of space.

DMBizeau

Well I am 6'5 so I can stack them pretty high. :) tegus are the most addicting reptile I have ever owned, I already have the garage and part of the backyard set aside in case i need it lol.

I also think people make tegu enclosures much more difficult then they NEED to be sometimes. As long as they have enough room along with the proper thermal gradient and a place to bask and burrow they will be fine. Not everybody has the ability to make a tegu mansion (not that there is anything wrong with that)

robnpg

5 Year Member
I sent Bobby an e-mail earlier today saying, ok ,send me 2. Then 5 minutes later, I chickened out and said keep it at 1. :)
:crazy
The pessimistic voices in my head showed up quickly: What if they dont get along! Now you've gotta tame 2!! Thats a lotta poop to clean!!!

So I guess I'll stick with 1 for now. Then in the fall if I'm brave enough, Ill look into a blue......

DMBizeau

Nope, most of mine will just go in the tub when you soak them. Other then that I just put on rubber gloves and spot clean and change out all the mulch once a month or so. Once it becomes habit its pretty easy to deal with, and I have alot more then 2.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
before the accident i had 4 and i never had a problem keeping the enclosures clean, since most of them dont like to touch there poop as they get older it makes it easier to get them to go some place other than were they sleep.

DMBizeau

Mine are the same way, the older they get, the more likely they are to wait and try to go outside their enclosure. Almost like potty training a puppy lol.

robnpg

5 Year Member
We shall see Dave, 3 Tegus and the wife might pack her bags...Hmmm, I suppose 3 is too many for an 8x4 enclosure huh? Dang, I guess the wife will stay... :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu