• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Serious update on my boys!

kymzilla

So I haven't been on here in a solid 6 or 8 months and man oh man have the boys grown.

Xibulba and Lethian are now 3 feet, and xibulba is about 5 or 8 pounds, lethians a little slimmer.

We found out the gross way they're both male, not just because of the "beads" on either side of their vent but because of seeing their hemipenes come out whilst pooping and then seeing them..*cringe* "spread their seed"
So, with that behind us they do fight from time to time, but never anything serious. They play tug of war with each others tails and that's about it.

Speaking of tails, if anyone remembers xibulbas tail regen.....it's....amazing.
Ill have to grab a picture of it when he wakes up but it's actually forming white scales now, like its becoming just as it was before he dropped it.

They're both great eaters, lethian is a little more fussy then xibulba. I call xibulba my garbage disposal because he eats EVERYTHING.

Ill log into my tapatalk and toss up some pictures right away.

kymzilla

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366552264.385196.jpg

both the boys.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366552286.578881.jpg

Xibulba eating
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366552327.189968.jpg

In the tub

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They look great :). Xibulba looks to be the bigger one between the two.

Since they're fighting I would separate them now before it gets out of hand. If or when it gets out of hand you may not be there to stop it. I'm not sure if you have watched any of the you tube videos of wild tegus fighting but they go at it. Even then when out matched they have the option to run away and save them selves. That's not the case in captivity and housed together, one or both can be seriously injured if not killed, since they are stuck together, there's no way for them to escape or get away from each other. It might not seem like much of a scuffle or issue now but it only takes one situation to change that, them being the same sex or even opposites... doesn't matter.
These scuffles are early signs of two now sexually mature males having a problem that should be fixed right away.

kymzilla

When were not home, one is always alone in the tank while the other is free roaming the living room. They don't do anything other than bite each others tails and do a weird huffing head bobbing thing.

Xibulba is certainly the cow.
Speaking of, here's his tail regen
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366565446.376590.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366565478.255693.jpg

And this is them right now having a soak cause they're both doing a full shed.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Those signs are not play displays but challenges, they're pretty much sizing each other up. One may back down and walk away for now. Head bobbing and chuffs (the weird huffs you hear and see) can be aggressive and territorial displays especially between males. They're the early signs of a challenge that can easily get out of hand.

I don't know about you but this is not something I would want to have to step into and try to break up, they could care less who or what's going on around them.

Xibulbas tail :) looks great, they don't always regen black it's just that the pattern is not the same.

kymzilla

Well they never do any sort of displays of "aggression" or whatnot in their tank, its only out in the living room. And it very rarely comes down to them making physical contact. The thought of them fighting crossed my mind a few times, but like I said they're never alone together unless they're in their own tank sleeping or basking.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good looking tegus. I'd definitely make plans for housing them entirely separate. As Bubblz has mentioned, these simple tail bites are tell tale signs of dominance and surprisingly enough, simple aggression. This behavior will only progress, and for your safety and the safety of these two beautiful Colombians, I'd look into splitting them up completely.

Again, wonderful looking gu's. Keep it up.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I mix cut up beef liver in with ground turkey and niles loves it. Do you mix it up or kind of keep the foods individual?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont