• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

regurgitating ball pythons

G

I Have had all four of my current ball pythons for almost a year. They are pretty young little ones. I feed based on defication. Last week when I fed my pastel she regurgitated the next day, the full mouse and 2 halves of mice? Then today my mojave regurgitated 3 days after feeding and had a full defication, which I thought was odd cause she deficated 2 days before she ate.. I have never had this problem with any of my 5 snakes. Now two at once? Nothing has changed in their schedule. Any thoughts?

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Did you handle them after feeding them, you are suppose to wait at least 48hrs before handling after you feed. If the snake feels threatened or stress it will regurgitate. What temps are you keeping them at? Snakes will also regurgitate if your temps are to high. What kind of substrate do you keep them on and do you feed them on the substrate, because like tegu's Ball pythons can get intestinal impaction and will regurgitate after a feed but i doubt it is impaction. You might want to look into taking them to a vet to get this checked out because there could be a number of things wrong.

After Regurgitation you are not suppose to feed until at least 2week later or they may regurgitate again. I am not sure of the exact physics behind what i have stated but i have done my fair share of reading on ball pythons so i thought i share what i know about this with you.Hope i Helped!

G

I never ever handle them after feeding usually for 3-4 days..the room they are in is 75 degrees and thry have a heating pad on one side..I feed them in rubbermaid tubs. And I waited about 3 weeks maybe a little less, before feedint the pastel after she regurgitated the first time. They are both incredibley healthy snakes until now..

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Check your set up because there's obviously something wrong some where. When snakes regurgitate its for a reason. That reason can be anything from temps and how they're kept to mites.

G

i don't want to sound gross but is it regurgitation or vomiting? vomiting is worse because its not willful like regurgitation. generally vomiting can be a sign of illness. regurgitation can happen from other stress related things, change in environment. or it can also be from over eating.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
You should look into going to a vet ,it is the only sure way to know being you say you have made no clear mistakes in your husbandry. Ball pythons are good at hiding when they are sick so maybe you just do not see it yet. But good luck!

G

so im not sure if its vomiting or regurgitation, as i dont really know the difference? for my pastel the time line was as follows, she defecated 3 weeks ago, i fed her two days later and the next day. there was a partially digested mouse and a fully nondigested mouse in her tank. (again this is new neever done this before) for my mojave sunday she fed, last night (wednesday) she defecated and regurgitated a half digested mouse? .. no mites, and they have been in the exact same cages for 7 months.. i clean them and use the same substrate (some rainforest substrate) as i always use. i try not to change anything. same bowls which get scrubbed every other day and same climbing branches and hides. so.. i thinki might go with strange_evils idea and get them vetted.. can snakes catch contagious from being in the same room even if they arent in the same tank? i havent brought any new animals home in about 6 months? and i always sanitize? bad day overall. thanks for you guys' help!its much appreciated

G

turns out it was parasites, and a minor URI. gave her some metronidazole and she is getting injections. also tube fed her some beef baby food/h20. she should be good as new in a couple weeks!!

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
jumper123 said:
turns out it was parasites, and a minor URI. gave her some metronidazole and she is getting injections. also tube fed her some beef baby food/h20. she should be good as new in a couple weeks!!

That sucks, i was hoping it was nothing like that. But at least she is on the road to recovery now.

I am pretty sure the vet told you this for the URI,but you should put her on paper towel to better monitor her,You need to get the basking site temperature up to 90-93f with the cool side at 80-84f. The antibiotics the vet is giving you can not be properly processed by the snake if that is not the site temperatures.Your vet should have also informed you that temperatures play a role in deciding the dosage level and frequency of treatment. You also need to provide fresh clean drinking water every day and do not handle as much or bathe the snake.

Your a good owner,keep me updated.

G

Glad you are getting a handle on it ...

Were the parasites and the URI the cause of the regurgitation or was that just what the vet found and the regurgitation remains unanswered...

G

strange_evil. thanks for the extra insight! shes on amikacin ( i found some even though its off the market i must have called 4 places [cause the vet i was at was completely out of it] finally i got some) , i elected against baytril for scars and its nearly impossible to store w/o crystalizing and she needed the injections of baytril for a month. we gave her metronidazole for the parasites. the poor thing is so skinny. even though the vet is incredible and has been dealing with only reptiles for over 30 years, i like everyone's ideas and opinions that he may have missed (politely of course i hate when people get cocky and rude on this site) so you were much appreciated! thanks for the good owner compliment!!

Montana, URI caused the regurgitation, i lost power about that time from snow and the temps got real low, (thats when she regurgitated) and im assuming caused the URI? althhough it took awhile to remember the power outtage. and i guess the parasites may have assisted?

G

Is the metronidazol given in one dose and then backed up by other antibiotics[amikacin]??

What is the dose of metronidazol given??

What is the dose for the amikacin???

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
jumper123 said:
strange_evil. thanks for the extra insight! shes on amikacin ( i found some even though its off the market i must have called 4 places [cause the vet i was at was completely out of it] finally i got some) , i elected against baytril for scars and its nearly impossible to store w/o crystalizing and she needed the injections of baytril for a month. we gave her metronidazole for the parasites. the poor thing is so skinny. even though the vet is incredible and has been dealing with only reptiles for over 30 years, i like everyone's ideas and opinions that he may have missed (politely of course i hate when people get cocky and rude on this site) so you were much appreciated! thanks for the good owner compliment!!

?

N/p i really hope your Bp makes a full healthy recovery.

TheKid12

HOPE YOUR SNAKE GET BETTER!
But what does this have to do with URI,(do not know how to do the gray box word thing)
"You need to get the basking site temperature up to 90-93f with the cool side at 80-84f. The antibiotics the vet is giving you can not be properly processed by the snake if that is not the site temperatures"
i kept mines normal and my ball python is ok! Just curious?

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
TheKid12 said:
But what does this have to do with URI,(do not know how to do the gray box word thing)
"You need to get the basking site temperature up to 90-93f with the cool side at 80-84f. The antibiotics the vet is giving you can not be properly processed by the snake if that is not the site temperatures"
i kept mines normal and my ball python is ok! Just curious?

Sorry i did not extend on my post, but as i am sure you know Temperature affects metabolism in reptiles. If the temperature is to low the animal cannot sufficiently process the antibiotic. If it is to high the animal may process the antibiotic to quickly not allowing it to build up sufficiently in the animals system. In the dosing charts for reptiles there is the normal ml/kg ratio accompanied by temperature charts for adjusting dosage.

G

yes bubblez she is quarentined. the second one had nothing wrong with her at all. im guessing the drop in temperature that night was probably the reason she regurgitated.. although im not positive. the pastel is in her tank in my walk in closet right now since its the best temp for her.

montana im pretty sure he gave her a full dose of metronidazole and im not backing her up with another. he said that should cover the parasites. and the amikacin is the antibiotic for URI. im not sure of the actual dosage he wrote me the script. although i should have payed more attention so i wouldnt have to go to another vet. i could certainly just get it at my job. i was freakin out and being my over obsessive self, sorry.

G

Montana id be glad to try and find you a chart for those two meds. Ill search the hospital today!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980