• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rainbow Boas

angelrose

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
I use a purple night time bulb in the cooler months to provide ambient heat. During the summer the family room (basement) stays about 80 degrees, because of the Tegu's lights.

Dave, you do not use the over the top light/heat :?: under the tank heater :?: I use bulb/heat and I do have it over a big bowl of water. if you can tell me what your doing to maintain that humidity. because I am always thinking and checking the humidity for her.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
She's in a 40G tank. UTH under warm hide and partially under water bowl. Screen top covered with aluminum foil & duct tape except for (3) 6" squares. (2) removable flaps on either side (to adjust humidity, if needed) & 60W night time bulb in a small Home Depot dome (only used to add ambient heat during the cooler months, evaporates more water also). Big water bowl under light. 70% - 75% humidity with no misting.

I gotta take some pics!!

angelrose

5 Year Member
ok Dave teach me what is this UTH ? under the tank heating pad ?
do I have this right you only use a bulb when it gets cooler ?

Nero

5 Year Member
Dave, so you dont wanna use any light/heat lamps above just use UTH. And keep the humitidy around 70-80. So at night time you wanna use a low wattage night bulb. I think I got it down now. If im missing something please let me know. is a 40 gal a good tank to start him in or would that be to big?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The UTH is on a thermostat 24/7. The UTH is a ZooMed 30-40 gallon model. The night time bulb is on only in the cooler months for extra ambient heat. It's 80 down there during the summer, but 70 in the winter.

OH WAIT!! You aren't understanding what a night time bulb is! It's a dark purple bulb that puts out very little light and mostly heat. It's great to be able to see her in the dark with out stressing her with too much light. You can buy them at Wal-Mart (60W) & Home Depot (75W) for $3-$4. They're the same as the expensive reptile ones. If you need a smaller wattage you'll have to buy the reptile ones. I think they have 25W & 40W. Sorry for the confusion.

Start in a 20G (long) or 29G (20G long & 6" taller). They're supposed to be semi-arborial so we gave her the height but she rarely used it. You might not need a 40G for a year, when she gets close to 3ft.

You're probably aware that heating from above dries out the air. That's why the night time bulb is above the water bowl, it evaporates water and adds to the humidity.

I'll try to post a pic of her tank tonight.

angelrose

5 Year Member
ok, thank you. here is a general snake question for you while I got you here ...lol
I know hot end - cool end. on the hot end should I use a under the tank heat pad and and heat bulb. I have been using one or the other ? or which is better ?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
angelrose said:
ok, thank you. here is a general snake question for you while I got you here ...lol
I know hot end - cool end. on the hot end should I use a under the tank heat pad and and heat bulb. I have been using one or the other ? or which is better ?
The UTH should cover about 1/4 to 1/3 of the floor space (on the outside bottom of the tank), located on the warm side. The warm side temp is measured on the substrate, normally with a TempGun. I put a ceramic tile (larger than the UTH) over the UTH to buffer and spread out the heat. I tape the Thermostat bulb to the ceramic tile over the middle of the UTH (under the warm hide) and Temp/Humidity gage bulb (not taped) right next to it, then I know the max temp the snake might find if it gets under the substrate. The heat bulb just adds to the ambient heat, if required. The problem with a heat bulb is you have no control over the temperature other than changing the bulb to a smaller/bigger wattage. The cool side temp & humidity are measured at the surface of the substrate with the Temp/Humidity gage (Accu-rite from Wal-Mart $11).

We used to use CareFresh bedding with the snakes, but an outbreak of mites has changed that to paper towels. The CareFresh tends to push around and expose the tile, but it's very easy to spot clean.

angelrose

5 Year Member
thank you Dave. I appreciate you taking the time an explaining it to me in detail. I'm going to do it like that now with my BRB. take some of the worry off about the humidity.

Nero

5 Year Member
Now when I get my BRB do you wanna keep the substate damp? I think im gonna use humidity moss, ecoEarth and the jungle bed substate. so i want a good size water dish some vines. What im still confused on is the heat part. Ill use a UTH for the warm side. So i dont wanna use a heat lamp only at night with low wattage? Would a 40 watt be okay? Im basically using this set up right now with my female JCP I only turn on the night lamp if I feel my room is too cool cause I run the AC 24/7 my room temp all around is between 77-81 degrees.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You don't want the substrate too damp, that could cause scale rot, although BRB's seem to be more resistant to it. Why make it warmer at might? A temp drop at night is normal. Use to heat lamp only to adjust the ambient tank temp in the cooler months. The wattage depends on the size of the tank and the temp in the room, you'll have to play with it.

Nero

5 Year Member
Alright Dave thanks for all the info. I think I got it all down now this female brb is a baby only a month old if that. Is a 40 gal to big to start her in?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Nero said:
Alright Dave thanks for all the info. I think I got it all down now this female brb is a baby only a month old if that. Is a 40 gal to big to start her in?
We started in a 29G (a tall 20G long, if that makes any sense).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980