• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rainbow Boas

Nero

5 Year Member
I was at Exotic Pets here in Vegas not to long ago they have some pretty facinating animals. They are selling CB 08 hatching BRB's. I dont know much about them im pretty new to the whole boa family. How is there temperment and are they pretty hardy? they are asking 180.00 which seems reasonable. I was thinkin about putting a pair on hold when I come back from vacation. If anyone has had any experience with them any info would be useful. This is kind of an impulse thing lol.

Nero

5 Year Member
Yeah ive only read a little about them they are very pretty snakes. Ive read mixed results on some sites about their temp maintance is kinda tricky and they can be pretty snippy. The snippy part dont bother me my JCP is meanier than hell and bites at any movement when I get her out.

Markie

5 Year Member
They are beautiful and just a neat snake to keep. They are known for being nippy when they are young, but most of the time if you handle them, they grow out of it. I have had mine for about 4 or 5 months and it has never bit me. If you get them, you will not regret it :)

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We've has ours for almost 2 years. She's only bitten me once (stupid feeding error!).

Husbandry requirements are a bit stricter than a Ball Python or Red Tail Boa but not too difficult. I used to maintain 70% humidity in a 29G tank without misting. Now she's in a 40G, still no problem.

Gotta take some new pics!!

Nero

5 Year Member
Thanks dragon dave sounds pretty similar to my jungle carpet about the humidity. Im keeping my baby girl in a 20 gal now haven no problem with the humidity i think ill call the shop up on monday and have them hold a pair for me and pick them up when i come back.

burke0000

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
We've has ours for almost 2 years. She's only bitten me once (stupid feeding error!).

Husbandry requirements are a bit stricter than a Ball Python or Red Tail Boa but not too difficult. I used to maintain 70% humidity in a 29G tank without misting. Now she's in a 40G, still no problem.

Gotta take some new pics!!

Davedragon ive also been thinking of getting a rainbow. How exactly do you personally keep the humidity at 70%.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
burke0000 said:
Davedragon ive also been thinking of getting a rainbow. How exactly do you personally keep the humidity at 70%.
I covered most of the top (screen) with aluminum foil & duct tape only leaving a couple of 6" squares, (1) for additional heating (night time bulb) if required (in the middle over the water bowl), and (1) for a removable flap to adjust humidity. I never mist. Humidity is at 75% right now. I also put the water bowl partially over the UTH to evaporate the water for humidity. Some people say a snake won't drink warm water but I've seen her drink many times.

burke0000

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
burke0000 said:
I covered most of the top (screen) with aluminum foil & duct tape only leaving a couple of 6" squares, (1) for additional heating (night time bulb) if required (in the middle over the water bowl), and (1) for a removable flap to adjust humidity. I never mist. Humidity is at 75% right now. I also put the water bowl partially over the UTH to evaporate the water for humidity. Some people say a snake won't drink warm water but I've seen her drink many times.

DaveDragon, thanks for the info. I have always liked rainbows and even had one. He was doing great and eating like crazy. I kept everything correct as far as heat but had a hard time keeping up the humidity. He ate on a wednesday the the next night he acted very lathargic and slow. By the next morning when I was going to take him to the vet he was dead. I only thing I could think of is lack of humidity. I want another one but are kind of cautious and worried about the health of the animal. Thanks for any response from you or anyone else on this subject.

Thanks

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My BRB was lost in the Family Room (basement) for 9 weeks. She was only 60 grams at the time. Ambient temp is about 80 & humidity 50-60%. She lost some weight but put almost all of it back with hydration. She actually looked pretty good when I found her.

If you were using an overhead bulb for heat you probably reduced the humidity to 30-40%. I doubt that would kill it in less than a week, but you might be right. It could have been a combination of too much heat and not enough humidity. I've read upper 80's for an extended period of time can kill them.

If you cover the top and put the water bowl over the UTH you'll have plenty of humidity.

burke0000

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
My BRB was lost in the Family Room (basement) for 9 weeks. She was only 60 grams at the time. Ambient temp is about 80 & humidity 50-60%. She lost some weight but put almost all of it back with hydration. She actually looked pretty good when I found her.

If you were using an overhead bulb for heat you probably reduced the humidity to 30-40%. I doubt that would kill it in less than a week, but you might be right. It could have been a combination of too much heat and not enough humidity. I've read upper 80's for an extended period of time can kill them.

If you cover the top and put the water bowl over the UTH you'll have plenty of humidity.

Thanks for your help DaveDragon. I had the rainbow boa for about 4 months before it died. In the the morning I would mist and get the humidity up to 80% and by the time I got home it would be 50 or 60%. So Im still wondering how exactly he died. thanks again

Nero

5 Year Member
Hmmm is it better to use ceramic heat emitters? or just using the normal heat lamp. I had them hold a male brb for me so when I get back im gonna have a new little buddy.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I use a purple night time bulb in the cooler months to provide ambient heat. During the summer the family room (basement) stays about 80 degrees, because of the Tegu's lights.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980