• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My New Orange Iguana

Steven.

Hello all. So today i decided to buy this Iguana from pet bazzar. A pet store that i do a lot of business with. What an awesome guy. He's super calm. Shows no signs of aggression what so ever. The owner dropped him off because he was moving to another state. Thats all they were able to tell me. Iguana's are one of the best pets in my opinion, esspecially when they trust us. This guy here is no expection. Amaziing animal and gets along with everyone. On the way home he even relaxed on my dashboard for the whole hour and a half. When we brought him home, he eat some kale greens and banana's, not too much but i just wanted to make sure he eats. He does do his little head bobbing thing when he sees my cats but no tail whipping or chasing. lol. He just stands his ground and bob's..lol.. Its really funny.

1- What kinda iguana might he be?..He's about 55-60 inches , how old do you think he is?..

2- He's very orange, but his middle area is very dull, the guy told me once he's in a comfortable environment and gets some sun he'll brighten up. Can anuone confirm this?...

3- He's great with people walking by him and stratching his head and his body. But he closes his eyes a lot. Is this cause he's still new and is nervous/scared?.. I know when a lizard closes his eyes its cause of stress. Or is it because he enjoys it?..

4- We are not gonna build him a cage. He's gonna stay outside in the pool area where he can get natural sunlight and rain and everything naturally.. Is this ok?.. Or should we cage him until he gets more comfortable with us?..

ENOUGH QUESTIONS!!!! ON TO THE PICTURES!!!!

2012-09-18132151.jpg

Best dash board ornament ever!!! lol

2012-09-18144543.jpg

He met my cat tigger, then did the bobbing thing and tig ran behind the wall to hide, this was a very funny moment, had to be there..

2012-09-18152742.jpg

And here the big guy RANGO. (because he looks like a mango lol)

[size=large]Please feel free to comment and give me some tips and pointers on how to raise this guy.. I need all the help i can get. Thanks.[/size]

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He is a green iguana. Is the pool area fully enclosed? What are the temps and humidity? Be careful with him around the cat, it could end badly.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Green iguana. If male can get very aggressive during breeding season. Give him a lot of veggies from what I've heard and a TON of space. He will use arboreal space.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My male is getting oranger and developing waxier femoral pores. Breeding season for him usually Oct-Feb. Mine's a jerk during breeding season and gets aggressive. He will attack cats and small dogs. If he tries to climb screen, he can tear it, so you have to watch that.

He's probably at least 4 yrs old. Age is hard to determine because of previous husbandry.

mine likes head scratches, too...in certain places.

Greenigsociety.org has a lot of info

Steven.

Thanks guys. Temps is about 95-100 F and humidity is between 80-100% daily. Like rite now, humidity has been 95-100 for the last 5 hours. The pool is always fenced off because of the ferret, so he will have no access to the pool. The cats dont go next to him becuase of his size. For rite now, he gonna walk around the house to get use to everyone and everything. Then ill hopefully build a cage either in the pool area or outside in the yard. But aggression during breeding season?. Interesting. I'd like to learn more about this...

Deac77

5 Year Member
Def a green just like my leeroy he's getting ready for the breeding seasons males are usually mean to females my male doesn't mind me during the season and still lives for his belly and head scratch but hates all women during the season

Steven.

Great im safe!! lol.. So they just show aggression toward other female iguanas or female animals in general?.. Also you got any pics of your guys setup?..

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Definitely a green. I'd keep him outside if the area is closed off completely an there are no routes for him to get out. I'd build some sort of closed space somewhere outdoors so you can keep an eye on him better, and allow for yard free roaming on a regular basis when he's settled in. They're arboreal so they love to climb trees. Best bet is to build something around a tree and let him have that space. If temps permit, I'd stick to outdoor housing as iguanas thrive at a totally different level in natural sunlight. Congrats on the new addition man, and I wish you the best of luck in the years to come with your new ig.

Steven.

Thanks tegubuzz, how is buzz?.. Sorry to hear about sobek. By far one of the best blues... Its actually him and george that made me want a blue so badly...

Deac77 said:
Females in general and both my iguanas have free run of the house they are potty trained

Potty trained?... My guy might be too old to try that.. you think?..

Deac77

5 Year Member
I agree with tegubuzz during the summer we have big outdoor cages but this time of the year now that it's getting colder they live inside

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Steven. said:
Thanks tegubuzz, how is buzz?.. Sorry to hear about sobek. By far one of the best blues... Its actually him and george that made me want a blue so badly...

Deac77 said:
Females in general and both my iguanas have free run of the house they are potty trained

Haha I replied to your question about Buzz in Kians Member Stats thread when you asked me there. He's doing good, I'm uploading a new vid to YouTube as we speak, he knows his name well now and is doing great. I'm actually trying to find him a female and I'm in the process of building another cage soon to house the female. As for finding another blue, it's been tough, and although I want to get back into it, I find it hard to go through with it because all I can think of when I see blues is Sobek. Chris' blue George is a beaut, that's for sure. Sobek holds a spot thats real dear to me to this day, and I'm glad I have Buzz to keep my mind off it when I think about it all. Thanks for the kind words bud

Steven.

TeguBuzz said:
Steven. said:

Deac77 said:

Haha I replied to your question about Buzz in Kians Member Stats thread when you asked me there. He's doing good, I'm uploading a new vid to YouTube as we speak, he knows his name well now and is doing great. I'm actually trying to find him a female and I'm in the process of building another cage soon to house the female. As for finding another blue, it's been tough, and although I want to get back into it, I find it hard to go through with it because all I can think of when I see blues is Sobek. Chris' blue George is a beaut, that's for sure. Sobek holds a spot thats real dear to me to this day, and I'm glad I have Buzz to keep my mind off it when I think about it all. Thanks for the kind words bud

O your very welcome. Keep up the great work with buzz. Do you mind posting pics of the outdoor setup you have for him?..

Logie_Bear

I'm at work, so I cant see the pics right now- but green iguanas (iguana iguana) do come in a few color variations. Red being one of them. Or, an adult male green can turn orange. Its a sign of all his testosterone and just how manly he is. :)

And yes, they can become WICKEDLY mean during the mating season. I've read of folks having to get their males iguana 'sex dolls' (usually a stuffed animal) for them to take out their aggressions on....

kim86

Logie_Bear said:
I'm at work, so I cant see the pics right now- but green iguanas (iguana iguana) do come in a few color variations. Red being one of them. Or, an adult male green can turn orange. Its a sign of all his testosterone and just how manly he is. :)

And yes, they can become WICKEDLY mean during the mating season. I've read of folks having to get their males iguana 'sex dolls' (usually a stuffed animal) for them to take out their aggressions on....

hahaha an iguana sex doll, classic

Steven.

Logie_Bear said:

LOLOLOLOLOLOL Now that made my day..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980