• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Lost Tegu :(

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
Mine crawled under the dishwasher ok and wasnt satisfied, so it crawled up the hoses on the back of it and got on top of the dishwasher underneath the countertop. Omg it was crazy when after a day of looking I heard a noise come from the kitchen and i started knocking on the counter and heard a hiss back at me. I was so pissed but relieved also.

Had to take the whole thing out to get him out. Then the next day he was loose i look away for a minute and he did a straight dash right back in there. Little cuss, that problem was promptly fixed with three screws.

Another time I found him stuck to the back of my 360 inside my entertainment center. I dont know how though. Also it had been on for a while and was really hot. He had been missing that day for like 6 hours.

It will turn up. Als o look in clothes laying on the floor, and shake every one of them out, you can move stuff around and sometimes they wont move. So every article of clothing on the floor pick up all the way and shake.

Hope that helps.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
I lost mine for about 12 hours one day under the bath tub floor boards...the bathroom had a similar problem as yours.

TehPenguin

5 Year Member
Ahhh..Sigh of relief. I woke up only to find him on my floor looking straight at me. I'm glad he's back, but I would love to know where he was!

ashesc212

5 Year Member
That is fantastic! That made my day. I love to hear stories with a happy ending.

It's funny that he was just staring at you like that!

fleco_brown

5 Year Member
I'm here late, but I'm glad that you found him safely! Im going to use that flour trick if I ever loose a little one, best tip I've heard all year.

J.LRegius

5 Year Member
You can also use flour on the door ways, then check later for tracks, it will let you know what way he went when he moves.[/quote]

But he said he has dogs so wouldn't they eat it/mess up the tracks? Lol I know my dog would!

carcharios

5 Year Member
Major Rookie Mistake Today: Brought out my baby Tegu for a few minutes in the sun. I put him on the driveway right next to me. He sad there looking content for a few seconds; then it happened! He took off under the car. I went to try to catch him as he lay under the tire and he darted towards the forest (We live on 1.5 acres and half our land is forest). My wife, daughter, and I looked everywhere for about 45 minutes. We combed the entire wooded area. Sadly, we had to accept that it was over. With the hawks, snakes, cars, and cats in our area, he stood little chance of making it - especially at his size of about 16''.

Then it happened: my wife saw his tail under a railroad tie. I had checked that same stupid tie about 20 minutes earlier and he wasn't there. Somehow, he'd managed to sneak under it while we were looking for him. Needless to say, we picked him up and put him back into his cage.

What I learned today: NEVER take your Tegu outside unless it's on a leash and unless it's pretty big. This little guy has been on my lap for a week now and I've NEVER seen him move as quick as he did when he was outside. He shifted into a gear I didn't know he had - I mean lightning quick. He was literally under the tire one moment, I glanced away for a second, and he was GONE! I will never make this mistake again. I felt sick to say the least. And I owe my wife BIG TIME for finding the little guy.

Carcharios

k412

5 Year Member
I'm elated for both of you!
I'm working on getting mine trained to a leash. I tried today to no avail but I won't give up!
Congratulations to both of you!
WOOOOOO! :-D

akward_silence91

5 Year Member
happy endings to lost reptile stories are the best! :app here's my advice for the outdoors: wait till he gets a little bigger. i took my tegu out for a little sun when he was about 18 inches and he was way too skittish to put down. give him some time to get used to you and his surroundings and definitely keep a good grip and eye on him when outside. the outdoors and natural uv have been known to bring out the wildside in most reptiles if they are kept in an indoor cage. i take my tegu out now and he's around 38 inches. he's very calm and loves to explore. good luck with your tegu!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980