• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is this a colombian tegu?

AlexK

I work at a pet shop, I know virtually nothing about tegus, i'm mostly into snakes. This guy came in on our order as a captive born aregentine black and white, but from the price we paid for him im inclined to think he is a WC colombian. Just kind of wanting someone to clarify this for me.

img20110324184617.jpg

img20110324203254.jpg

img20110324203318.jpg
img20110324203344.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality, only had my cellphone on me.

AlexK

Yeah, he's going to get a fecal done within the next couple of days. Like I said I have pretty much no experience with these guys, but I knew he was sinfully thin from the second we opened the shipment. I put him in a feeding container and he annihilated a load of crickets, i'm going to offer some fruit and pre-killed pinks tomorrow. Also going to try to get a refund from the supplier.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If they sold it as an arg than i would deff get on the phone and get a refund. I wouldnt write the little guy off, resently alot of columbians have been taming down.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Poor thing it looks really thin. Definitely colombian. So are you gonna try to have it sent back to the supplier then or do you think you'll keep it around

AlexK

Most likely we'll end up keeping it and getting credit from the supplier. That's what usually happens when this type of thing goes down. He's actually surprisingly calm, a little squirrely but he hasn't offered to bite yet. He tolerated being held better than I thought he would that's for sure. He also seemed to be severely dehydrated when he came in, I sat him next to a water dish and he drank for a good 30 seconds straight.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good, I'm excited to hear that. I'm also happy that you're taking the time to care for it. :)

AlexK

Hopefully I can get him fattened up and one of our customers that's real into herps will take him home. I'm going to talk to all the other guys working at the shop to make sure he doesn't get sold to somebody without some type of lizard experience. I've got one particular customer in mind, guy loves herps and has a 6 foot Nile that's as tame as a puppy.

I'll keep thread updated on how it goes.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Colombians really aren't that bad, especially since there aren't as many WC imports as there used to be, and people are learning more about them.

AlexK

Well, we're getting our money back, but we're also sending the little guy back. I talked to the supplier on the phone and he gets all his "Argentine Black and Whites" imported from Colombia. I tried to explain the difference to him but i got the whole "i've been in business for 20 years I know all there is to know about lizards" speech.

The actual animal has been eating like a pig, only crickets though. He has been refusing everything else i've offered including both live and prekilled mouse pinks, live hamster pinks, banana, grapes, beheaded superworms, boiled egg, smashed apple, and plum. (all cut into appropriate sizes of coarse.)

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Au contraire, lol, my Colombians will happily eat papaya, mango, berries, mango...

I think that info is up there with Colombians are mean and aggressive. Info just gets passed around. Young Colombians don't eat much fruit and people assume they are carnivorous. They are much like Args in that they need more protein as they grow but will take fruits as they grow up. Colombians also seem to get attached to certain foods, like eggs, and get really picky.

Gotta love those people who know everything. I've kept reptiles for 20 years and learn so much every day. That's why I like to stay on the forums...there so much new information coming out. No one is ever going to know everything about anything. I can't imagine his customers are very happy. We have a local store like that, though. Since they have the store, all their employees are "the experts".

Au contraire, lol, my Colombians will happily eat papaya, mango, berries, mango...

I think that info is up there with Colombians are mean and aggressive. Info just gets passed around. Young Colombians don't eat much fruit and people assume they are carnivorous. They are much like Args in that they need more protein as they grow but will take fruits as they grow up. Colombians also seem to get attached to certain foods, like eggs, and get really picky.

Gotta love those people who know everything. I've kept reptiles for 20 years and learn so much every day. That's why I like to stay on the forums...there so much new information coming out. No one is ever going to know everything about anything. I can't imagine his customers are very happy. We have a local store like that, though. Since they have the store, all their employees are "the experts".

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
Thanks for adding, Laura. People need to update their care information. haha

I've been learning more and more recently that Columbians aren't what people make them out to be.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont