• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hiding in my enclosure

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This is what I found hiding out in my enclosure, it lost it's mother, so I guess I will raise it up till it is old enough to fend for himself:

Attachments

• DSCN5701.JPG
    512 bytes · Views: 8
  • DSCN5702.JPG
    512 bytes · Views: 4
  • DSCN5703.JPG
    512 bytes · Views: 6
  • DSCN5704.JPG
    512 bytes · Views: 6

homer

5 Year Member
well everytime ive seen them in the wild, they hiss like no other and have massive teeth, no thanks

TehPenguin

5 Year Member
Not everything you find in the wild is uber tame compared to hand raised ones. Though I agree, some can look scary and mean. Take a walk down google images, theres some cute ones there.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They are Marsupials, and no kin to rats at all. They are in the family of Didelphidae, and when threatened or harmed, they will "play possum", mimicking the appearance and smell of a sick or dead animal. The lips are drawn back, teeth are bared, saliva foams around the mouth, and a foul-smelling fluid is secreted from the anal glands. The physiological response is involuntary, rather than a conscious act. Their stiff, curled form can be prodded, turned over, and even carried away. The animal will regain consciousness after a period of minutes or hours and escape. He is not tame, but will play possum when picked up. He will be released as soon as he can fend for himself, and free to do whatever possums do.

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
Well I think he is quite the cutie and the fact that he has a defence mechanism like that makes him a very fascinating animal. Besides. . reptiles hiss too,, but we all still love them!!!
I think its great your taking care of the little guy :)

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
Quite the lucky little bugger! Would he have been food when the tegus woken up?

Good luck with the little guy/girl, fingers crossed you don't get bitten ;)

Spencer

dicy

5 Year Member
man those possums r cool a friend of mine used to keep 1 as pet and they pack a good bite but u gotta love them :D

Beasty

5 Year Member
Interesting! I found one in a garage once while doing a carpet job in Florida. It was a baby a bit smaller than that one. I captured it and took it home to my 3 1/2' Savannah monitor Maxx who loved it. Wish I had pictures of him. He was a good boy I had for over 8 years.

Schnab

5 Year Member
Beasty said:
I captured it and took it home to my 3 1/2' Savannah monitor Maxx who loved it. Wish I had pictures of him. He was a good boy I had for over 8 years.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, your monitor loved it as in for lunch? ^_^()

Beasty

5 Year Member
Yessir! He said yummy!
He was your typical garbage disposal monitor. Quite the clean-up crew all by himself. :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029