• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

He's here! (Pic heavy)

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thank you! :D LOL they might need a lady friend down the road. He's only 2 so hopefully hes got many years left. I can't wait to take him out tomorrow to see how he looks in the sun.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
rhetoricx said:
Outside pictures will have to wait until tomorrow :(. He spent most of the afternoon buried in mulch. He's the only tegu that will try to completely cover himself. I really really really wanted to keep him out all day but I didn't want him to feel stressed. I left him alone for the most part, he'd see me walk by and come check me out though. He didn't eat today, not surprised. But the first thing he did today was poop.. lol.

DSCN0117.jpg

:) He's a sure looker though. He'll come around.
Time to edit your sig pic though :D!
All of your tegu's are males right?
You plan on getting any females?

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah they are all male. It'd be nice to have a lady around! Probably not any time soon though. If I did get one I'd be tempted to breed them but I would hate to bring more into the world without having homes for them. Males dominate the household lol, Riley and I are the only girls :(. For a while I was going back and forth with Rangos gender, it took a while before both spurs were noticeable... Now hes got the biggest jowls.

I want to edit it but he needs a name!

babyyitslove

No name?! A handsome little one like him deserves a 'smooth' name... like a ladies man. A 'rico suave'. 'Casanova'. 'Castellano'. 'Sancho'.....he's a stallion =0)

...and his scars give him character. Congrats on the new addition. I hope the whole platoon lives happily together.

.....and does his snout seem as narrow in person as it does in the photos?

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hahaha @ rico suave. I totally read it the way it sounds in the song..

Yeah I noticed the snout right away, its little longer and definitely more narrow. I'll see if I can get a comparison picture with one of the other guys. It almost reminded me of a dolphin nose or something.

Spark you're absolutely right!
Bubblz Calhoun said:
I might call him Finn,.. since his colors kind of reminds me of a huckleberry but that maybe just what my eyes see :blush:

I'm glad you guys can all see the color differences. He got here and my bf, who's not a reptile person, was like "he looks the same... just lighter" and I told him "only to the untrained eye" lol. Though I think now hes sees they'e different.

j.sawyer48

I no and it is cool to see him grow up but they are wicked awsome when they are bigg plus mines down for hibernation so I won't see him for months :(..... Think hell hit a growth spurt when he waks up??

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Definitely. When they wake up they're about the same size as when they went down but they grow a TON once they're out and about

Steven.

He's a tank..lol.. awesome tegu.. good to see some grown ones being bought and not only young ones.. I noticed he doesn't have any nails on his front legs?.. Was he born that way?...

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Guru is the only tegu I've had from hatchling size.
Nope he's got a few missing toe nails and a few missing toes... Tegus can lose them a couple different ways. Injuries can be part of it but I think most of the time it is because of improper housing/humidity. If the humidity is low while they are shedding it is possible for the skin to get stuck around the toes (and tail) which cuts off the circulation and sometimes the toes end up falling off.
Rango is another tegu I have with missing toes, he's only got 2 front toes :(. It's really important to keep humidity up and/or provide a large soaking dish to help with the sheds.

It really isn't that hard to monitor the sheds, I really do not understand how people can let that happen and not realize whats going on.. Even when skin is stuck around the toes there are things you can do to help aid the shed and prevent toe loss.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I promise the outdoor pics are coming! Things have been busy... I did take this picture of him and Rango to show some of you the shape difference in their heads. And look at the jowls coming in on Rango! They seem to get along, they don't really live together but they've hung out together with no huge issues. Rango did some jowl popping at first but thats all I've noticed. Nothing from the hybrid, he will back off when Rango pops. They're not allowed to be together when I'm not around. It's interesting to see Rango as the dominant tegu.. He got bullied by Guru and Gary.

DSCN0128.jpg

Steven.

I don't understand people sometimes. Why get such amazing animals and not care for them. In my parents house, we have 2 parrots, 2 dogs, some chickens and ducks, a ferret and 2 cats. Everyone is strong and healthy and they all get along with eachother. To me it didnt take much work to take care of them. So the only thing that i think can cause a unhealthy animal is because the owner doesn't have enough time or knowledge for his/her pets.. Just my 2 cents...

kellen.watkins

Awesome, you know with the way eli is coloring up and the way his pattern is spreading out I can see him growing to look a lot like yours only difference is eli has the teardrop and the burnt nose but the pattern on the back is really close :) I wonder if yours is related to the one that beasty has.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have no idea where mine came from. I'll be taking a few more pics in a little bit after I feed them. Yours seems to show more blue traits with the tear drop and darker nose. I wonder if the clutchmates to yours will look pretty similar or different as they get older. I think there is at least one more member who has another blue/red that came from underground.

kellen.watkins

I think there is too I can't remember who, I know this guy beasty has a 75%blue x 25%red its name is powder, he owns GIS herps, only time will tell what eli will look like. He does have a lot of blue traits though, the only thing red I see is he has red dots and a pinkish tone on his belly

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980