• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

He's here! (Pic heavy)

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've got him in the spare room with me, so far hes just tried to hide under everything :(. Right now hes easy to handle and move around but we'll see how much it changes when hes warmed up :p
In person I can see some red and more of what I think is blue. The shape of his head looks a bit different than the black and whites too. He's about the same size as Guru, same weight. Guru is a few inches longer though

Anyway, here are a couple pictures. I will get better ones once he decides to come out. I feel like hes always looking me right in the eye.

DSCN0065.jpg

DSCN0070.jpg

DSCN0077.jpg

DSCN0082.jpg

DSCN0097.jpg

kellen.watkins

RE: He's here!

He looks really famaliar? Its gotta be the reddish spots, he does seem more blue :) congrats now you have 4 monsters to take care of (I mean monsters in a good way) :)

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
RE: He's here!

The super red on his neck and leg is scarring, I was told he got into it with another male. The camera sure does a good job of picking that up! I was expecting him to have scars like the picture shows but in person it almost blends in with the rest of his scales. Leave it to a camera to pick up someones flaws :p

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Could you tell me a bit more about how you guys managed shipping such a big guy? If I have to ship Aesop and Francis, I'd like to do it correctly and it seems like you guys knew what you were doing. Thanks!

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The guy who shipped this guy breeds beardies and had experience shipping. I know he was fedex certified, I do not think USPS requires anyone to be certified before shipping. This guy is 40-42", he was shipped in a 16"x12"x8" box. The inside of it had styrofoam on each side, top and bottom (probably 1/2 inch thick or so). Then the tegu was placed inside, he was in 2 pillow cases, the seller was unsure if the tegu would be able to scratch its way out of the first one. On top of the pillow case was some news paper and on top of that was the top layer of stryrofoam and then taped shut.

Here are a couple more pics from when I opened the box.
DSCN0068-1.jpg

DSCN0069-1.jpg

He didn't seem to stressed when I let him out. He was more nervous about me. I've never had anything shipped to me before but I was pleased with fedex. It is a little more expensive but I would use them again.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
:D I like,.. not to make this thread even more pic heavy,.. (in my toddler voice) can we has some ummh :blush: sunlight or outside pics pwease :p? I like how different lighting and angles change the look and color of hybrids.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah definitely. He was housed outside before I got him, hopefully he'll be easier to manage outside than the other guys.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He was in a box for about 20 hours.

Hes not a varnyard roasted, im not too sure who bred him

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Outside pictures will have to wait until tomorrow :(. He spent most of the afternoon buried in mulch. He's the only tegu that will try to completely cover himself. I really really really wanted to keep him out all day but I didn't want him to feel stressed. I left him alone for the most part, he'd see me walk by and come check me out though. He didn't eat today, not surprised. But the first thing he did today was poop.. lol.

DSCN0117.jpg

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Pretty mellow, I wondered if it would change once he warmed up but he seems to enjoy people. It didn't take him too long to warm up to me. He did do kind of a weird thing, I've never seen a tegu do it lol. I left the spare room for a minute to get a thawed mouse and when I came back I came from behind and instead of running off or waving his tail he arched his back like a cat would. It was pretty quick, he heard me then arched then saw me and went back to normal.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He looks awesome. My AA does the arched back thing when he is outside and I come walking towards him.

What is that substrate you are using ??

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Its weird to see the arched back thing, the guy who sold him to me told me about it but I wasn't really sure what he had meant since I hadn't seen it before.

Hemlock mulch, same as I've been using. It seems to hold humidity pretty well. I think this batch I got was a little clumpier than the stuff I've gotten before. I normally get "fine" but I think this was just regular... I've only seen cypress at petsmart and it costs a small fortune to fill the enclosures with a decent depth.

It makes me sad hes got the scars! Of course I think hes good looking but I wonder what he'd look like without 'em. He seems suuuuper submissive, I wonder if he's always been that way or if he became more submissive after getting into the fight with another male.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dangnamit that's one beauty......I can definatley.see the blue in him, lol you need a female in that um crew, pack, herd idk pride? Lol what do you call a group of tegus

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980