• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Government vs YOU

bfb345

Hey due to all of the reptile crap with the government i was just wondering how far you would go to protect and keep your reptiles me personally would stockpile years of food for me and my pets and then board up my house and lock and load how about you

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Don't even get me started about government. NY is getting out of control.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I am on long island, where you can drink any size soda and have salt on the table in a restaurant. For now anyway. Nanny Bloomberg has no authority here.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
bfb345 said:
Hey due to all of the reptile crap with the government i was just wondering how far you would go to protect and keep your reptiles me personally would stockpile years of food for me and my pets and then board up my house and lock and load how about you

Then you'd run out of food and they'd get through the boards you've put up. Thankfully I live in Texas where they don't give a crap about most of the things we keep. If it came down to it, I'd pay them off - it's worked for me in the past with them on several accounts. If that wouldn't work then I'd either have to give it all up, open a zoo or buy one and keep my animals there, or move out of this country.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't know, it is a difficult question. I live in FL where a lot of reptile regulations have been put into place years before it hit the scene on a federal level. I pay my permits and keep a low profile. I have good husbandry, safe practices, and they leave me alone. Some animals I'd be willing to give up, some not so much. But I'm also at a point in my life where I have to consider things like the home I own, the children I'm putting through college, and my own retirement, and my local teaching career. Fortunately, we have a nice agricultural zoned area right behind me house, so I wouldn't have to flee too far. :)

bfb345

hey laurarfl have you seen any tegus that have been released or escaped animal planet is all over that lol

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No, but I haven't really been looking. I know the areas, but it is not where I am. However, have found plenty of iguanas, some cresties, day geckos, and knight anoles down south.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Honestly, i think a lot of us have had 'illegals ' over the years, but just stay under the radar. Of course if enforcement cracked down we'd just have to lay even lower and keep our babies off facebook. ;p

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Laura, I have still not heard if you see vinegaroons for sale by you. I think they may be found in your (geographical) area. I am looking for a juvenile one.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I live in Cali where it seems nothing can be kept as a pet, lol. Problem is enforcement is tough. I would get many illegal pets dropped on my door step. Not wanting my legal animals taken I would let the local fish and game along with animal control know about them and ask what I should do. I cannot tell you how many times they have asked me to hold on to the animal as evidence until they figured out what to do with it.

I am lucky in that I could always apply for a restricted and dangerous animal permit due to my line of work so I don't really have to worry about it.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
California is on the cutting edge of liberal totalitarianism. My beloved (gag) NY is right behind.

bfb345

lol the only native reptiles here in michigan are garter snakes and massasaga rattle snakes and a few other common water snakes lol no fun

a while back they were trying to ban ball pythons because they "burrow" according to politicians lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029