• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

getting a tegu

Draco D Tegu

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu_Plte-PbU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu_Plte-PbU</a><!-- m -->

TheKid12

lol,no getting through to you people is there? I'm done with this thread,let him buy a tegu and kill it for all i care. It is,his money,his time,his lizard and most certainly his responsibility.So do as you please you will be good because apparently two weeks of research is all you need. Good luck man.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lets start over TheKid12, I mean after all you have tons of reptile experience in your 16 years of life and could probably teach us old guys a thing or two. I'm not saying everyone can be successful with their animals with little research, but I have been so far.

By the way, there is a post asking about Colombians that could use your expertise. How big is you colombian? what size enclosure is he in? do you have any pics to share?

TheKid12

james.w said:
Lets start over TheKid12, I mean after all you have tons of reptile experience in your 16 years of life and could probably teach us old guys a thing or two. I'm not saying everyone can be successful with their animals with little research, but I have been so far.

By the way, there is a post asking about Colombians that could use your expertise. How big is you colombian? what size enclosure is he in? do you have any pics to share?

Ha ha you got love Sarcasm, stop with the complements your making me blush man,i know i am brilliant no need to rub it in everyone's face man,and oh please your not old man,your as young as ever, 89 is the new 30 man. So that put's you around 45.

But on a serious note,my colombian is 3ft 3" healthy male,my enclosure is a 6x3x4 (i know i went a little tall on the height but my lights are mounted close on the inside), i see the post about colombians and it is just like what the Op in this thread is asking. He is looking for a easy way out all that the person in that post is asking is stuff that should already be known from research,those are all basic care questions. I will not sit and waste my time telling him to do research. Like i already said "It is,his money,his time,his lizard and most certainly his responsibility" all the questions he asked could easily be founed out with the recommended research even if it is only 2weeks.

TheKid12

Nope,i have no camera nor need to take photos. Like i said before i am done with this thread.Expect no further replies from me.

Max713

That's probably best, as you seem to be against posting any helpful or relative information.
Seems this thread has got out of hand.

thomasjg23

Its pretty bad that we may have lost "yoyocrazy" as a potential member on this forum because of people like max and thekid

I sure am glad that people like that weren't replying when I first came here with questions.

Yoyocrazy, I promise most people here wont approach you with this kind of childish behavior. This forum is a great place to learn and I encourage you to ignore this thread, search around this forum for answered questions, and then ask any questions you may have left.

Max713

thomasjg23 said:
Its pretty bad that we may have lost "yoyocrazy" as a potential member on this forum because of people like max and thekid

I sure am glad that people like that weren't replying when I first came here with questions.

Yoyocrazy, I promise most people here wont approach you with this kind of childish behavior. This forum is a great place to learn and I encourage you to ignore this thread, search around this forum for answered questions, and then ask any questions you may have left.

If I said something bad enough to scare him/her away, he/she has bigger problems. Maybe you should re-read my posts and re-evaluate how they were childish and inappropriate in any way.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Its not that you "scared" them away, but more that people don't want to be part of a forum well they feel they will get attacked for asking the "stupid" question. In the future, I would just refrain from posting in a thread if you don't want to just answer the OP's question. There are alot of posts on the different forums I frequent including this one that make me want to go off on the OP, but for what? I just click on my back button and move on to the next post.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
yoyocrazy said:
i plan on getting a tegu c :butt an someone tell me the differnce between reds,b/w,americans.
and ive heard alot about tank sizes what would be good for a adult.
thanks,for any help.trent

Reading this thread i could not help but notice your questions were not all answered and responded too correctly due to the little argument(does not happen a lot but every ounce in a while we will get a troll or strong disagreements),so guess i'll take a shot at it.

The Arg B&W and Reds are really not too dissimilar other than the color and the red's can stand slightly higher temps,theres really not to much of a difference. I read ounce or twice that reds are more aggressive than B&w tegu and are also a bit bigger,but i think that's just a story.

The All American Tegu's are only Breed by Bobby Hill and they are a rare three way cross( "1/4 Blue 1/4 Red and 1/2 Extreme Giant tegus,") And they are still too young a tegu breed to determine a adult sized All american and with it is crossed between it could go either way,The all Americans from the pictures i have seen have a great cream/white color to them.

The recommended enclosure size for one adult tegu is 8x4x3 (LXWXH) with the absolute minimum for one tegu being a 6x3x3.

I am no tegu expert, i don't even have one yet but i have been on this site searching the threads for some time and i came across so much helpful information,this is a great forum with helpful people stick around and learn all you possibly can. There are some pretty cool threads going on right now like the "Dog chow tegu" thread is a really good one and a great read.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!!!!

G

Usually when you breed an animal like that a hi-bred the offspring don`t come out true ..

Often they are sterile [time will tell ] and you will have some that mimic the red the blue and the giant ..

Only after generation after generation of picking the offspring that closest represents what you are working toward do they begin to breed true ...

About the time that happens you have to address the problem of inbreeding ..

That will require you to out cross [say to a giant for size] ..

Then the old problem of breeding true will arise again ...

Eventually you may end up with what you want but there will be problems with in that particular cross ..

yoyocrazy

thomas thanks,strange thanks
i know they need a big tank all the people telling me i did not do research i wanted to know what you guys use.what you perfer.trent

G

I got you YOYO ...

Just try to find what you want here when you are new to the site ...

Ask your questions ....

I think you would be better off to build your enclosure from plywood ..

Think about an enclosure outside also ...

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sorry for going off topic yoyo. Those guys just hit a nerve.

Once mine is an adult he will go into a 8 x 3.5 x 2.5.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Wow...the content of this thread is AWFUL. Kid and Max--you guys are RIDICULOUS. This is a forum where people go to get help. YOYO--please don't let these guys scare you off. We've lost some exceptionally helpful, knowledgeable, and insightful folks because of threads like these.

KID, MAX...you guys have BARELY been around this forum. Don't go screwing it up because you're getting too comfortable.

Max713

Again, you need to re-read my posts, at no point was I "ridiculous". I never attacked anyone, or even argued with anyone! All I even said to the OP that would come across as negative was calling him out on claiming he had searched, he clearly hadn't, which I did in a calm and respectful way.
YOU are ridiculous for bashing someone for no apparent reason. It's an internet forum, and I've seen MUCH worse said by the admin himself, either someone needs to grow thicker skin or let some stuff brush off easier.
At no point did I try and discourage, just educate on the burden of such a pet. Adding a new owner to the community is always great, adding a new keeper that gives up after 6 months is not...

And no, I'm not comfortable here yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980