• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

fruits

jdpFL

Canned mandarin oranges....hands down. Lol. Severus will spend thirty minutes licking every drop of juice from the plate!

tora

I don't think citrus is great for them all the time, so I haven't tried it. Mine red LOVES his fruits and veggies and will eat them up, but the only thing I've been able to get my b&w to eat is grapes.

j.sawyer48

canned mandarins hmmm sounds good lol my lil guy just started to get a better appitite for things srry about the spelling im using my phone lol. i herd kiwis were good too but thats just wat ive read online would rather hear from one of u guys but thank u jdpfl

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Cherries, blueberries, strawberries, mango, melons and peaches real ones not canned or I should say fresh. Natsuki ate a couple pieces of kiwi and went back to other fruits. I haven't offered it since so I don't know if he really likes them or not,.. Korben did the same. Pineapples,.. yep he ate everyone on the plate.

Fruits are the same as other foods, there's not too much they can't eat.. moderation's the key.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sorry guys mandarin oranges are a citrus fruit, and citrus has been known to make reptiless stomachs upset

When I had my red his fave fruit was papaya berries and starfruit, he was the first tegu I had that would sit and chow down on a bowl of fruit

tora

Its crazy how much reds like fruit compared to their cousins. :)
I had a fuzzy mouse with a side of organic squash babyfood left out for Cliff, and he ate all the squash and left the mouse, lol. I had to pick it up and dangle it in front of him for him to reluctantly take it!

jdpFL

Reptastic....curious...how do I know if the mandarins aren't agreeing with him? All of his er, waste, looks healthy & normal...

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I seldom offer fruit but mine will eat a blueberry or two when I get some for myself.

j.sawyer48

werd thanx everyone I offerd mine kiwi when I first got him but he didn't want it I'm thinkin now he's a lil older he will eat more things

jtpowers

We offered ours a whole (peeled) overripe banana, and he ate the whole thing like a python eating a rat...started at one end and never tried to bite through, just wolfed it down until it was gone. Rather surprising.

got10

I would try to only give foods they might encounter in the wild type settings. I have not given any of mine citrus at all

jtpowers

got10 said:
I would try to only give foods they might encounter in the wild type settings. I have not given any of mine citrus at all

I definitely respect that. But...what about turkey? Farmed turkey is pretty different from small birds they might encounter. And I don't know for sure that they don't encounter citrus; here in FL we have "sour orange" that grew wild long before white men brought sweet citrus varieties and in fact it is used for rootstock for every orange you buy in the store. I'm not sure whether the wild varieties extend into central or south america, but the sweet varieties are a LOT less acidic so I would think they are less likely to cause any upset anyway.

I'd love to see a good study on tegu diet composition in the wild, though, like Bennett did with Savannah monitors (discovering that they are almost exclusive invertebrate feeders).

Neeko

only thing i worry about is canned= lots of sugar, unless u dont get the syrup or sugar free. looking at what some people have said most of the fruits listed are high sugar, natural sugar but i went on a orange eating diet only bc i love them so much and i mean a lot and i gained weight lol the white man reference made me chuckle. Small birds, prob not to much fat on them so pretty lean like turkey only my observation on it.

jdpFL

I agree neeko....that the sugar can't be good for them. But don't think the occasional treat hurts, considering all the good vitamins in there.

Neeko

It semi goes back to that one post about the tegu eating the squash over the mouse. Treats are fine but in moderation I know some animals will refuse to eat normal food items since they were over fed with treats. Im not slandering anyone, preach or trying to be whatever.... It comes from a woman feeding her parrot a 25% fat diet bc her cockatoo only ate sunflower seed. Due to the fact she gave to many of them and her bird then refused anything else.

tora

Neeko said:
It semi goes back to that one post about the tegu eating the squash over the mouse. Treats are fine but in moderation I know some animals will refuse to eat normal food items since they were over fed with treats. Im not slandering anyone, preach or trying to be whatever.... It comes from a woman feeding her parrot a 25% fat diet bc her cockatoo only ate sunflower seed. Due to the fact she gave to many of them and her bird then refused anything else.

You do make a good point. Some can get particular and be stubborn and only eat their favorites. I hear about it happening a lot with egg too.

Just for the record, the babyfood only contained squash and distilled water. No sugars or byproducts. I just wanted to put that out there because I know a lot have other stuff. :) It had calcium on it too! Reds are supposedly supposed to have more fruits and veggies with their meals too, and with how much he loves them I can believe it.

Neeko

I dont do eggs for the fact the waste coming out smells so bad! Baby food is awesome, its the canned stuff. i love canned peaches in heavy syrup bc its full of sugar lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980