• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

couple new additions here

skippy

5 Year Member
they're venomous but not what i would call "hot" :mrgreen:

Attachments

• IMG_0708.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 6
  • IMG_0709.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 6
  • IMG_0712.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 2

skippy

5 Year Member
and the second:

Attachments

• IMG_0714.jpg
  • IMG_0716.jpg
  • IMG_0717.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 3

skippy

5 Year Member
those are Heloderma horridum or the mexican beaded lizard. kinda like a gila but bigger :mrgreen:

G

It could cost you a twenty thousand dollar hospital stay in about two tenths of a second .... They are way cool but every Hot handler I`ve heard of has been bitten. Many more than once ....Gotta ask your self what good can come of it ..

skippy

5 Year Member
they're both a little huffy but not aggressive. once you get them out of their enclosure they're very calm, no thrashing or gaping or anything.

the guy i got the older one from was bitten and said that it was the most painful thing he's ever experienced but has no lasting symptoms or damage, same with the breeder so i'm not too worried. if, however, you have a link to a bite report with more serious symptoms i would be real interested to see it :D

G

I looked at them some time ago [price put me off ].I think they are way cool !! Long ago when I was a kid there was this old stone bridge out in the sticks ..It buzzed like a hornets nest .We used to see how big of snake skins you could find there ... Well you guessed it bit bigger than what ever rite on the hand .. It`s best to be avoided ..

skippy

5 Year Member
yep, i read that article and a few others =) lots of interesting stuff about them but nothing that makes me unwilling to handle them. i'd much rather get bit by a little one than not handle it at all and maybe get bit by an adult, ya know?

also, they can live more than 40 years so we're going to have plenty of time to come to an understanding ;)

preston897

oh i completely understand. that article actually makes me want to handle it more. i guess their venom is not to bad. i would be interested to get around one. how much do they cost? are there any reputable breeders of them?

skippy

5 Year Member
this is the guy that bred both of mine: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.helodermahorridum.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.helodermahorridum.com/index.php</a><!-- m -->

they range in price from about $600-$1500 depending on color, pattern and subspecies(there are 2).

as for the venom, saying it's not "bad" isn't really accurate. it's supposed to be incredibly painful, just not disfiguring.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Congrats on your new lizards. They look cool. I like the way the second one wraps his arms around your fingers :) . It's cute.

eddyjack

Well at first look at the pictures I started to think! But I'm cured with the topic of getting bit and it hurting so bad. Very nice looking though, congratulations and good luck!

preston897

i guess i worded it wrong. when i say not bad i mean it wont kill you. or at least it shouldnt kill. unless you have an unfortunate reaction to it.

G

Here are some more .Haven`t seen any more posts since shortly after these pictures were taken ???

skippy

5 Year Member
they're doing fine and eating well, i just haven't posted any pics lately because no one seems to be as excited as i am about them ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980