• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Blues this year?

crox

5 Year Member
From what ive read they are a good deal smaller than the males.

Ive always wanted a tegu, but i really cant provide much more than a 6x4 cage at the most. It looks like i'll have a lot of time to built and finish it before they would be born. haha :)

If i had unlimited space id love to take a male, they are so pretty. (to me) ;)

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They aren't much different in size. Actually Our breeding pair are the same size! I'm sure if you stuffed a male it would grow to 4 ft. We have another female that's only 26" but that's probably because she wasn't cared for properly when it was younger.

crox

5 Year Member
Really? Everything i read said the females rarely got bigger than 3 feet.

Would 6x4 be too small then? :cry:

Thanks for the information. I'm sure i don't have to tell you all how hard it is to find some straight up answers from someone who knows.

Jer723

5 Year Member
no, 6x4 would be fine, some people do that for their red tegus, dont wory about it they wil do fine in a 6x4.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
crox said:
Really? Everything i read said the females rarely got bigger than 3 feet.
Our breeding female is 3.5 feet.

The Blues are a nice size; not too big, not too small. Just the right size for the 7ft x 3ft enclosures ours are in. Bigger is always better but most people can't fit a 8ft x 4ft enclosure in their house.

crox

5 Year Member
Even a male would be fine in a 6x4? :chin

I guess the next question would be how the heck do i find one? I live in St.louis Missouri.

Good thing i found you people... searching the web was driving me crazy.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
crox said:
Even a male would be fine in a 6x4? :chin

I guess the next question would be how the heck do i find one? I live in St.louis Missouri.
7ft would be better to have a little more walking room.

Good luck finding one!! :mrgreen:

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You have to be in the right place at the right time. Kingsnake, Fauna, etc. You'll have better luck this fall when they hatch, IF anyone hatches any. You never know.

bubbategu2

5 Year Member
Dave- I'm almost afraid to ask but what are you going to be selling yours for this year? The price for blues has gone astronomical!

bubbategu2

5 Year Member
Well, then you'll probably have them all sold without even advertising!! LOL!!
I think everybody is gonna start breeding blues cuz, how can you not?!! $500 - $700 a piece X 24 in a clutch = BIG BUCK$!! Do that a couple/3 times a year and there's your mortgage, or a new car, or a boat. I think I'm gonna have to wait till the market gets flooded with blue tegus in a couple of years!!

All_American

5 Year Member
Yup, the price of blues have sky rocketed for sure. That along with hard times, ppl just sell them at high prices to see what they can get.

Its kinda loke when the snow boas showed up. The price was out the roof but has come down quite a bit now.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Blue Tegu's only breed once per year, typically in July/August.

I think this spike is just a few people taking advantage of have the only Blue's available. Once they breed (IF they breed) the prices will come back down.

Tux

5 Year Member
Those prices are crazy but like with anything else they will fall. Anyone whom pays that is a bit insane. The only reason for prices so high is "because they can" monopolies are not a great thing but atleast some people with such businesses don't try and rob people blind.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I was away on a business trip but my wife have our Blues breeding 3 times yesterday!!!! We'll get them together a few more times this weekend and let her build a nest.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980