• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

ball pythons

angelrose

5 Year Member
Nero said:
Burmese pythons calm down as they age. Usually they are agressive as babies, but most snakes and other reps are that way too. I would give it a few weeks before you start to handle it if you only had it for a week.

that's what I been wanting to know. thank you. now that I think about it the rest of the original 'family' here are very mellow. except when it comes to eating ......lol

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
angelrose said:
Nero said:
Burmese pythons calm down as they age. Usually they are agressive as babies, but most snakes and other reps are that way too. I would give it a few weeks before you start to handle it if you only had it for a week.

that's what I been wanting to know. thank you. now that I think about it the rest of the original 'family' here are very mellow. except when it comes to eating ......lol
Are you using a hook to take him out?? It could be the "predator coming in from above" syndrome and he's defending himself. Once you get him out he should calm some.

angelrose

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
Are you using a hook to take him out?? It could be the "predator coming in from above" syndrome and he's defending himself. Once you get him out he should calm some.

:brick omg, I feel stupid !
the hook never even crossed my mind. he only chewed up my arm twice (so far). once when I bought him from the guy and he lifted him up and handed him over to me and then he told me "oh, he just ate". the other was 2 days after I got him I went in and picked him up (that was a sight, crashed the glass table he was on and everything) to put him in his permanent home. I'm thinking perhaps I woke him up that morning ? other then that I go in his house and get his water and clean and he does not go for me or hiss. he eats f/t large mice nothing live. sooo, I really should invest in a hook because I am just starting my snake collection.

Nero

5 Year Member
I just prefer buying snakes and other reptiles when they are neonates that way when they mature or their half way there you have some sense of security that you wont get bit. Or just have a better feel of telling what kind of mood they are in

angelrose

5 Year Member
Nero said:
I just prefer buying snakes and other reptiles when they are neonates that way when they mature or their half way there you have some sense of security that you wont get bit. Or just have a better feel of telling what kind of mood they are in

gah ! I expected it ! it doesn't hurt as bad when I expect it. it's the surprise attack that well .....you know.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you can see his eye pupils, tiny slits might mean he's sleeping. Tap him on the back with the hook to make sure he knows you're there, then hook him.

We bought our 5.5ft Dumeril Boa a couple of months ago. She's a sweetie!! But they all have different personalities and they have to learn to trust you, just like a Tegu.

angelrose

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
If you can see his eye pupils, tiny slits might mean he's sleeping. Tap him on the back with the hook to make sure he knows you're there, then hook him.

We bought our 5.5ft Dumeril Boa a couple of months ago. She's a sweetie!! But they all have different personalities and they have to learn to trust you, just like a Tegu.

thank you Dave ! just this afternoon I went in and did the water changed some of the bedding he got wet and PET HIM and yes he hissssssed so I just did a little and left. it 'seems' :fc like he is starting to trust ???????

Beazer

5 Year Member
With just about any snake, you kind of just have to read the individual animal to know how to pick it up right. But usually my technique is to just smoothly go in not to fast, not too slow, and not scared to pick them up. I go over the head usually unless they are facing the other way, and pick them up by their back coil. Burms in general can be pretty hissy and vocal, I believe they are one of a few pythons to be labeled as "vocal" snakes by David Barker. Though, mind you hes a youngin and to a lot of baby things, any angle you go in can be seen as a predator in its eyes. As for hooking I only do that for bigger snakes cause of feeding responses. Usually I will hook the bigger sized snake if its not one Im familiar with to pull it out slowly and smoothly then they calm down. Lets face it lol, getting bit by big snakes sucks (especially on the hands) so you dont need to show you are a man by reaching in with your bare hands all the time. I work with hots so I guess I also kind of have that habit of taking precautions.

-Jon DeLong

angelrose

5 Year Member
Beazer said:
With just about any snake, you kind of just have to read the individual animal to know how to pick it up right. But usually my technique is to just smoothly go in not to fast, not too slow, and not scared to pick them up. I go over the head usually unless they are facing the other way, and pick them up by their back coil. Burms in general can be pretty hissy and vocal, I believe they are one of a few pythons to be labeled as "vocal" snakes by David Barker. Though, mind you hes a youngin and to a lot of baby things, any angle you go in can be seen as a predator in its eyes. As for hooking I only do that for bigger snakes cause of feeding responses. Usually I will hook the bigger sized snake if its not one Im familiar with to pull it out slowly and smoothly then they calm down. Lets face it lol, getting bit by big snakes sucks (especially on the hands) so you dont need to show you are a man by reaching in with your bare hands all the time. I work with hots so I guess I also kind of have that habit of taking precautions.

-Jon DeLong

I think we both calmed down now ...the burm and me :fc
hots ???!!?! I always say I'll try anything at least twice but that's where I admit I'm not always the brightest bulb in the pack...lol what kind ?

angelrose

5 Year Member
ball pythons, this is different (for me) ....

they never used to like water except for drinking it. now, they are in the big water bowl almost all the time ???

oh and btw, the burm and I are best buds now :)

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
angelrose said:
they never used to like water except for drinking it. now, they are in the big water bowl almost all the time ???
UH-OH! Mites??? Are there any little black specks in the water?

Our BP's never go in the water. Our Dumeril Boa does like an occasional soak.

angelrose

5 Year Member
Hy'a Dave, no specks. water is clear. nothing in there crawling. I am using cypress mulch for bedding if that helps.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Maybe the cypress is uncomfortable to him? We use CareFresh for our snakes. It may look weird but it's easy to spot clean and they won't get impacted if they ingest it.

What's the humidity in the enclosure? Maybe it's low.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980