• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

ball pythons

angelrose

5 Year Member
I have my two ball pythons (bernadette & baxter) in the same large enclosure for a year now. baxter has been eating very well. bernadette has not been eating for a little over a month now. is this normal ?

Beazer

5 Year Member
Ball pythons can be the finickiest of eaters. What sex is it, what size cage, what hides, heat?, etc. could help us out. I deal with a lot of people having feeding issues with bp's. I believe the longest one on record went 2yrs without eating. I cant remember correctly but I believe it even started eating again lol. Dont be too freaked, just show us your set up and provide more information on them. I would seperate it though into its own cage with a hide and water dish and keep it simple. Dont offer food for a couple weeks, wait til the lights are out for about an hr (maybe spray before you turn off all the lights even in the room) then toss in a rodent. You can leave redlights on and be still in the room so you dont disturb it but make sure it wont get messed up by the live rodent. I have had a loooooot of experience dealing with problem eater snakes and hard snakes to get eating in captivity (including Morelia tracyae). Hope thats of some help.

-Jon DeLong

angelrose

5 Year Member
Beazer, thank you very much. alright, so your the man to come to.
lol. I will be updating the pics of everybody this week sometime. but here is how it goes ...they are in a 45 gal. temp on the hot side is 90. temp on the cool side if 70 - 75. I use cypress mulch. and I have a hide box on the hot side and one on the cool side. plenty of fresh water always.
wow, 2 yrs ! baxter got out on me last summer for about 3 months and one late night I saw something on the floor where I keep my breeders. unbelievable, it was him ! looking soooo tiny. he downed about 5 small mice that night.

Nero

5 Year Member
Angelrose, I been haven that same problem too. I keep my two Bps in a 40 gal one eats great sometimes 2 mice a week the other one will skip a week or two. They been housed together for almost 2 years. I'm gonna seperate mine within a week or 2 and see how it goes. I just got off work and I lucked out because they both ate. So I guess I have a stress free week of them not being hungry. BP's are very picky eaters. I've had 3 bps, all but one have been great eaters up till the past few months.

angelrose

5 Year Member
the one never did eat quite like the other. but it's been a while now. most of time they are coiled up together. one time I did see them hit the same mouse. I placed another one in front of her and then she let go and went for the new mouse.

I offer the one who hasn't eaten the mouse,first (I just hold the tail and they grab it). do you think the one is being more aggressive and not letting the other eat :?:
is there such a thing with bp's :?:

Beazer

5 Year Member
How big are your pythons? A lot of people over feed their balls/pythons in general and sometimes Ive noticed that leading to feeding issues. Though, youre caging sounds right.

-Jon DeLong

angelrose

5 Year Member
Beazer said:
How big are your pythons? A lot of people over feed their balls/pythons in general and sometimes Ive noticed that leading to feeding issues. Though, youre caging sounds right.

-Jon DeLong

they both started out pretty much the same size. then baxter (the one that eats good) left for the summer ...lol.. so he was alot smaller. ok, now the one eating good is 3ft and thick and naturally the other one (bernadette) who was bigger is a little smaller and naturally not as thick.
you know, baxter will eat every other day if I would let him then stops to shed. bernadette would eat once a week or two.

what kind of feeding issues ?

Beazer

5 Year Member
Sort of a lack in feeding response. I know a lot of people think bad of it but its mostly lack of knowledge but try feeding a decent sized meal (try switching to rats) every other week and I think you will be set. Though, still try to separate them until it starts eating again. If you have male and male sometimes male presence may be a factor or if its a female with a male the male either will be like "horny" lol or if its a female having feeding issues it could be because of the male. But lol ill keep rambling on so basically separate them until the one starts feeding again.

-Jon DeLong

angelrose

5 Year Member
Beazer said:
Sort of a lack in feeding response. I know a lot of people think bad of it but its mostly lack of knowledge but try feeding a decent sized meal (try switching to rats) every other week and I think you will be set. Though, still try to separate them until it starts eating again. If you have male and male sometimes male presence may be a factor or if its a female with a male the male either will be like "horny" lol or if its a female having feeding issues it could be because of the male. But lol ill keep rambling on so basically separate them until the one starts feeding again.

-Jon DeLong

I understand what you are saying and I was kind of thinking along the same way. second guessing myself because I thought they have been together a long time now. they are getting older and bigger and perhaps things are changing ?

if I seperate them and I still don't get any response with a lot of time gone by could I still put them back together one day without any problems ??

angelrose

5 Year Member
thank you, I think you guys/gal are right. that's the feeling I'm getting because the one (that is eating,baxter) is always real quick to nab the mouse ....even though I place it kind of in front of the one (bernadette).

if baxter is being the aggressor, is he stopping bernadette from getting the mouse ?
is that such a thing that goes on ??

Beazer

5 Year Member
Always feed your snakes seperate. Its a recipe for disaster. if he is eating before the other snake then I guess bernadette isnt getting the oppertunity. Id really say just go out and buy another tank suitable for either ones size and just keep them seperate from now on :/. He should start eating again after that.

-Jon DeLong

angelrose

5 Year Member
I didn't think that with ball pythons.
this has been on my mind for a while now. I thought since they have been together one would get lonely without the other ???
and therefore would not eat.

I am going to separate them.

Beazer, thank you for sticking around for all my q's and information about them. I am going to let you know what happens.

p.s. what do you know about burmese pythons ?

Beazer

5 Year Member
I know a decent amount about burmese. Actually, pythons are one of my specialties so feel free to ask anything about them. Morphs I am not good at lol. Ask any question though and I cut the bs, if I dont know, then I know somebody who would know.

-Jon DeLong

Nero

5 Year Member
Ball Pythons are tricky. Mine will only eat white mice, they wont eat the brown ones maybe my pythons are racist!! jk. I havent tried to feed them rats yet.

angelrose

5 Year Member
Nero said:
Ball Pythons are tricky. Mine will only eat white mice, they wont eat the brown ones maybe my pythons are racist!! jk. I havent tried to feed them rats yet.

mine will only eat the live large white mice as well and I tried a f/t small rat and they would not go for it. maybe cause it was dead ? I placed the bag with the sm. rat in warm water to make it warm tho'.

I'm sure my burmese will be eating the rats soon enough and I don't want to talk about the rest .....lol.

angelrose

5 Year Member
Beazer said:
I know a decent amount about burmese. Actually, pythons are one of my specialties so feel free to ask anything about them. Morphs I am not good at lol. Ask any question though and I cut the bs, if I dont know, then I know somebody who would know.

-Jon DeLong

thank you Jon
I just got my burmese last Wed. how long would you wait to handle a burmese ? and besides very carefully ...lol..what is the best way of picking him up ?
two days after bringing him home I went to pick him up and place him in his permanent home and ....whoa ! maybe I woke him up ?

angelrose

5 Year Member
Nero said:
Is your burmese a baby?or is it an adult?

omg, I would be dead right now if it was an adult.....lol
he is 3ft.
he lets me go in his house and change the water and clean up. that's it for now :fc I believe he is good. just has to get used to me and his new home. what do you think ?

Nero

5 Year Member
Burmese pythons calm down as they age. Usually they are agressive as babies, but most snakes and other reps are that way too. I would give it a few weeks before you start to handle it if you only had it for a week.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980