• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Anybody keep hots?

Beazer

5 Year Member
I have 1 juvenile Crotalus cerberus (Az Black rattlesnake), 1 juvie Crotalus atrox (Western Dback... dont ask me why lol), and 1 male red phase Crotalus mitchelli pyrrhus (Speckled rattlesnake). I use to have more but when I moved I had to give them away. I'll get pictures posted when I get my camera back and working. I know there has to be some of you out there that have a few hots so post some pics!

-Jon DeLong

Beazer

5 Year Member
Well, heres a quick shot of my AZ black. Mind you he is in his juvenile colors. Not sure when it will change into adult coloration or if it will. The area I found him at, I have not seen adult cerbs from so hopefully he doesn't turn out brown and comes out a nice deep purplish black. Either way, hes my baby. His name is Cerby btw.

cerb.jpg

-Jon DeLong

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Gorgeous snake. Maybe if you put him in a bathtub full of water with your other reptiles he'll become tame, just like MuffDaddy suggested.

hoosier

5 Year Member
in a deep sarcastic voice) Why thats the best idea i have ever heard! i will have to try that so my tegu and my sisters snake will become best friends!! :bs2 :bang lol

Beazer

5 Year Member
lol sounds good. I heard getting drunk and falling asleep with them on your chest is a good way to tame them too ;)

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Beazer said:
I have 1 juvenile Crotalus cerberus (Az Black rattlesnake), 1 juvie Crotalus atrox (Western Dback... dont ask me why lol), and 1 male red phase Crotalus mitchelli pyrrhus (Speckled rattlesnake). I use to have more but when I moved I had to give them away. I'll get pictures posted when I get my camera back and working. I know there has to be some of you out there that have a few hots so post some pics!

-Jon DeLong

I have a mildly venemous Cat-eyed snake.

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
Nice black, I was thinking about getting a copperhead as a pet, they are beautiful, but maybee later on when I dont have to use the functionality of one of my limbs. haha

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
My state doesn't allow importation of Hots. But every once in a while. I get a few Timber Rattlers and Cotton Mouths dropped off. I usually take the and turn them loose . Alabama law prohibits the sale of indigenous species. So I normally just leave them alone. I used to raise Box turtles and sell CBB. Until they found out and fined me big for doing so. So now I leave indigenous species alone. LOL

Azaleah

5 Year Member
I've been wanting to keep hots for a long time now, its just hard when they are illegal in the state and you are renting an apartment out of someone's basement lol. I just have a feeling the landlord won't agree with a rattlesnake XD

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I did keep them many years ago, but I do not any longer, they are just not worth the risks IMO.

I do rescue a few now and then though, here are some pictures of eastern diamond backs:

DSCN2295.jpg

EDB2.jpg

DSCF0067sized.jpg

Beazer

5 Year Member
Very nice Eastern Bobby. I love hots but yes the risk is definitely a matter of opinion on whether its worth taking or not. I never free handle though. I have had few friends who have been nailed and even a friend of mine died from a bite not too long ago. No matter how responsible and cautious you are, you are human and you do make mistakes. I would never convince people to own hots. I do try to discourage most people but if its somebody who really knows what they are getting into and are responsible keepers instead of the "ooh cool man this thing can kill me dude! right on!". Though I would like to show people the beauty of them and teach people to respect them instead of destroy. Rattlesnakes especially in the US are very misunderstood creatures and killed and the lamest excuse is always "im protecting my family." . To protect your kids you should teach them never to go near the animal nor attempt to kill it. Teach your kids to respect them. I really think states need to work on education programs. Since most local wildlife agencies seem to do not get things right.
To me venomous are just very interesting, particularly rattlesnakes. I would own cobras and arboreal vipers but the state I am from prohibits them. One of my favorite rattlesnakes are the Crotalus mitchelli pyrrhus. Perhaps my absolute favorite are the Crotalus cerberus. Sidewinders I like too.
If youre looking at getting into hots and reading this thread.... Seriously understand the risks you are taking. Just about every venomous keeper I have known has been bit once. Ive known people whove suffered fatal reactions even within their first bite. There is no snake that will "help" you get ready for hots. People say theyll get false water cobras as a first step or mangroves. But in all honesty and reality, there is none. Theres more of a sense of security handling things like false water cobras and some room for mistake. However, there is no room for mistake with actual hots and a false water cobra is going to act different from a rattlesnake just like a timber rattlesnake is going to act different from a blacktail rattlesnake.
If you do keep hots though, feel free to discuss them and post them! I dont want to be a loner on here.

-Jon DeLong

Kazzy

5 Year Member
I don't keep them, but I do work with a pair of Gila Monsters. I actually held them the other day as I was cleaning out their enclosures. Very cool lizards, and very slow. I don't underestimate them though...they probably couldn't kill me but it would hurt....bad. lol!

Jon, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I plan on getting into hots and such when I'm older and more prepared. For now, I'll just find places and opportunities to work with them.

Beazer

5 Year Member
I looove gila monsters. I am from AZ so we get a lot. I seriously do not understand why they are protected. Its messed up. You can blast and destroy their habitat and construction workers kill them with their shovels. But god forbid you pick one up off the road you can get fined. I am jealous you get to work with them, they are freakin cute animals. If you can start another thread, post them! I love gilas and will have tons of pics of them this year of gilas.

-Jon DeLong

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980