• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

zoo meds Power sun

RobK.

tora said:
UVB rays can't even go through glass or water, and have a hard time going through mesh, so I don't think they'd get any in the shade..

You right !! I get zero through my greenhouse and windows and almost nothing in the shade .

At sunset or sunrise in my yard with a clear blue sky i only get around 15 MW of UVB and during the day in the shade its 0-15 at most , depending on how much cover . I just ( 7:04 pm ) aimed my meter directly into the sun at sunset ( still very clear ) and got only 15 . its around that at sunrise. also right now in the shade it was 0 MW. I don't know how much they need BUT it sure would be a good idea to have a good supply of UVB if you can . If you using a MVB and its out put is only 25 and its 110 -120 deg under it , I thinks he's going to move away from the bulb way before he ever gets enough UVB . wouldn't he ?? :huh: Look at the readings i am getting in my yard and i bet the Dominican republic may be even higher .???? i just can't imagine anything under 100 MW being good for a indoor reptile . BUT i may be missing something .:s

RobK.

Joshjack90 said:
if you get that mega ray ill buy it!! haha

be glad to !!

spidersandmonsters said:
It isn't that coil bulbs are worthless; they do their job.. They are just notorious for doing some pretty extensive eye damage.

from what i have read , exo-terra and zoo-med cured the problem with the bulbs hurting the eyes , but some still have litte UVB out put

Neeko said:
Someone needs to study the basking of a tegu in the wild for a year, measures how much uvb they are getting then average it throught th year. Then we'll know. Also uvb is radiation right? Does it go through leaves? So even in the natural in shade they still get the effects of uvb as long as the sun is out?

that would be fun .:D
I would love to go to the Dominican Republic and take my solar meter and inferred temp gun and a watch . and see what the UVB level are , and how long the Rhino iguana's stayed out . I would love to see them in the wild . That would be cool !!

I am by no MEANS a expert , just having fun with the UVB meter and trying to have the best set up for my Rhino . Most on here have had more reptile than me . I am very OSD though and spend many a sleepless night thinking abound my Rhino Iguana . also having heath issues doesn't help with sleep either . Don't be surprised if you see posts from me at 1 or 2 or 3 or even 4 am . I just started on sleeping Meds to see if in can sleep through the arthritidis pain in my ankles and neck , so far its not working . I don't mean to come across as a know- it- all or short tempered , i really don't . And i may be looking at this lighting thing totally wrong :-/ as some days i sure can't think straight .

I really do appreciate all the info that you guys post on here , as does Roni my Rhino !!:D

Rob K.
Hyde park Utah .
Strange_Evil said:
Rob can you send me the link to where you purchased your solar meter please. Thank you!

DANG , sorry i missed your post until now !!!
they had it at my door in two three days . and sent me free product and a hand rotten note thank me for my business . NO THATS GREAT C.SERVICE !!! They also had the cheapest price on the meter that i could find . 169.95

here you go !!

http://lightyourreptiles.com/

sorry about my typos , I broke both sides of the frames on my reading glasses so i am doing this ''almost'' blind . just like the rest of my body, my eyes are going too !!!:mad::mad::mad:

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
RobK. said:
tora said:
UVB rays can't even go through glass or water, and have a hard time going through mesh, so I don't think they'd get any in the shade..

You right !! I get zero through my greenhouse and windows and almost nothing in the shade .

I thought greenhouse glass was supposed to let UVB through???

RobK.

james.w said:
RobK. said:
tora said:

I thought greenhouse glass was supposed to let UVB through???

I think plants use different light rays than the UVB . i have plant lights and they put out zero UVB . Our green has a aluminium frame and plastic sheet covering 100% . They have acrylic sheets that let UVB trough but they are very pricey .

we have a mess cover over it right now to block some of the suns rays , other wise it gets 150 deg in there even with the door and vents open . Its still get 105-110 with the mess .

P1010040.jpg

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/uvinnature.htm

Quote ''

One of the authors was fortunate enough to visit a large private collection of European and Eurasian lizards housed in Sussex, in outdoor enclosures and converted glasshouses. Fine quality horticultural glass used in one greenhouse proved little better than ordinary glass: 97- 98% of the sun's UVB was lost. However, panels of 2mm Clear UV-Transmitting Plexiglas Acrylic Sheets and 10-year-old sheets of a twin-walled acrylic now sold as Plexiglas Alltop used to roof several others proved to have excellent UVB transmission. Losses of only around 20% were recorded with the acrylic sheeting and 30-40% with the twin-walled acrylic.

Further studies on these materials are planned. However, sheets of UV-transmitting acrylic are no longer mass-produced and are increasingly difficult to obtain. Most acrylics are now formulated with additives which block all UV transmission. We have found a very small number of stockists which sell acrylic sheets FOR USE IN SUNBEDS, which do transmit up to 80% of the UVB''

Logie_Bear

Wow, that's pretty interesting! Is been hearing several negative things about the MVB bulbs, so that pretty much solidifies it in my mind that I'll not be going that route when I get my gu. Is there a particular website that you get your 10.0 tubes from?

RobK.

Logie_Bear said:
Wow, that's pretty interesting! Is been hearing several negative things about the MVB bulbs, so that pretty much solidifies it in my mind that I'll not be going that route when I get my gu. Is there a particular website that you get your 10.0 tubes from?

i get mine from a pet shop in Salt lake and its 1 1/2 hour drive south . But a friend and i go to Cabela's in Lehi twice a month to shop and have lunch , and that's 30 minutes south of Salt Lake . So i get anything i need on the way back . I am not going to buy any bulbs on the net , its a pain to return stuff . IMO Even if we didn't go to cabela's i would still do the 1 1/2 drive to the reptile shop anyway , its a cool shop and i like looking at thier reptiles .

www.livingsafari.com

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Strange_Evil said:
Rob can you send me the link to where you purchased your solar meter please. Thank you!

DANG , sorry i missed your post until now !!!
they had it at my door in two three days . and sent me free product and a hand rotten note thank me for my business . NO THATS GREAT C.SERVICE !!! They also had the cheapest price on the meter that i could find . 169.95

here you go !!

http://lightyourreptiles.com/

sorry about my typos , I broke both sides of the frames on my reading glasses so i am doing this ''almost'' blind . just like the rest of my body, my eyes are going too !!!:mad::mad::mad:

[/quote]

It's cool and thanks, will be getting one soon just to be safer.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
For some animals, the UVB needs are different. If you have a forest dwelling animal, the UVB needs are not quite so high. They might come out and bask in an open area for maybe 20-30 min, then retreat for the day. So even if your bulb give out lower amounts of UVB, but for 10 hrs, it evens out in the long run. It is the high UVB needs animals that suffer with low output bulbs.

Then you have to consider which animals can absorb vit D from the diet. Carnivorous reptiles such as snakes and monitors have the ability, green iguanas cannot.

I want one of those nifty little toys!!!!! I just get green with envy every time I see one of your photos! heh heh

RobK.

If you have a flourescent bulb thats not putting out enough UVB they could stay there as long as needed as they don't put out heat . But a MVB ''MAY''( some are some are not ) be too hot and they can't stay there long enough . ??? With my rhinos set up he can stay under the halogen next to the flourescent or move to the side along the wall and still get the same UVB . he also gets UVB on the floor and its still around 45 Mw . He will stay on his basking area for a while then move to the side and then drop to the floor where its 90 deg and lay there .

herpgirl2510

This is very interesting stuff. I use powersuns for my tegus and my rhino . For my beardies that have high uvb needs the reptisun 10.0 is waht is recommended. I think I will swith to reptisuns for my otherguys too. O Another plus is reptisuns use alot less electricity.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980