• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Zillas first time outside didnt go so well

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Well I got a harness for her and wanted to bring her outside for some natural sunlight and fresh air and dirt to dig in. She didn't like it. As soon as I set her on the ground, she went crazy, running and thrashing like mad. The harness managed to stay on only long enough for me to pick her up. I literaly was able to grab her by the base of her tail as the harness came off. If I hadn't, she would have been gone forever. Even after I picked her up, she continued to thrash and I had to forcefully hold her. She normaly doenst mind being held. So I got her back inside with no injuries, she is basking right now like nothing happened. We are/were both frazzled from the event. It was scary for me, and for her too Im sure.

What do you guys think? Should I keep trying to take her outside or just give up on the idea? This was the first time I ever saw her so crazed. Id like to be able to take her outside, but I don't want it to be a huge risk, she almost got away or hurt. Are there any good methods to getting her used to being outside slowly? Do some tegus just not like being ouside after being inside their whole life? Should I wait till she is older? (she is 2 years old now) She seems to want to explore so badly. It was really disappointing and sad for me, I wanted to take her for walks like I see some of you guys doing.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
This is actually a very common reaction amongst captive kept reptiles. It isn't seen as a "don't like being outside", it is basically seen that the full sunlight and wide views "flip a switch" that kicks in their natural instincts.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
In my opinion, it is going from closed in walls and ceilings to the wide open with all the movement, sounds, smells, and stimulation. I get mine used to going outside in small doses. They start off on my screen porch so that they still have a ceiling and screen walls. They slowly get used to outdoor stimulation and venture outdoors when they feel more confident.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
I could tell just from her eyes and demeanor while I was carrying her outside, that she was extremely alert. I was hopeing that once I put her on the ground, her curiosity would take over and she would go exploring.

I don't have a screen porch, or fenced in yard or anything to slowly expose her. I am visiting relitives soon that do, so maybe I will try again there.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
I did give her a few harness trials indoors. She didn't really enjoy me putting it on her, but once it was on she didn't seem to mind much. The most she did was drag her belly on the ground or walk backwards. But then she just sort of shrugged and accepted it.

Scott_k

Keep trying. The first time I took Tyson out he was just like that. I waited a week then tried again, but I did not put him on the ground I held him in my lap and he was a lot more calm this that time. I did this about 3x a week for a month just me and him in my lap, then I put him down one day and he was fine now he has no issues going out side he will eat outside. He even gets along with the dog. They're not buddies the just don't really bother each other.
Just keep at it and the tegu will get used to being outside.
null_zps6105a0e8.jpg

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ditto what has already been said, keep trying with short sessions for now and work up to longer times spent outside. You can take her out again today or tomorrow (with harness and leash) if you have the chance this time don't put her down yet. Stay out there holding her for five, ten minutes or so while she takes everything in. That way when she gets over whelmed, tenses up and is ready to bolt you already have control of her and can take her inside. After a few rounds of that as she gets use to it, then you can sit down with her in your lap, giving her a chance to walk around a bit as she gets more curious comfortable.

I'm not sure if you have bushes in the backyard or what but pick a spot where there's nothing close by that she can dart to other than you. Because while she's on the ground she'll be looking for escape routes just in case she gets spooked, feels threatened and decides to run. It works out much better for both of you when her only option is you to hide under. On top of that the last thing you want her to do is get caught up or tangled in or under something like a bush (or what ever) especially if the harness comes off that easily. If it's adjustable make it tighter.
Eventually she'll get use to it and will want to spend hours outside with or without you. Just keep at it, it's something we all experience eventually when taking them outside for the first time.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This was Milla during the process of me getting her use to being outside and on the ground with her harness and leash on. She darted under me when spooked until she felt comfortable then came back out to bask again.

As you can see she's still a bit nervous, tense and alert with that wide eye look, legs tucked and ready to bolt if need be.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Thanks guys.

How old were your tegus when you started taking them outside?

The harness I have is adjustable but I would have to make it so tight to make sure it cant come off. Its not that it came off easily before, she was just thrashing so hard it would break any harness (includeing the ones you guys have pictured) Also I do have big hedg bushes in my front yard, and have no back yard becides a parking lot. My front yard is also only about the size of a standard living room, I live in a city in an apartment building. Its why Im so hesitant to taking her outside if she is going to panic, there are roads and traffic, lots of places to hide or get hurt. The road I live on isn't highly used, but I don't live far from a highway.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I guess I started with mine when they were yearlings. The yearlings I have now go to a secure basking cage for sunlight. When they get to a larger size and aren't as skittish in general, I start letting them roam the porch with the others. One of the adults will venture outside and the new guys follow. I also have help so I'm not out there alone with any newbies. My yard is pretty secure against escapes. If someone is going to bolt, it is likely to be around my meager pile of firewood, the jasmine, or my hibiscus bushes.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Yea, I definitely need to find a safe and secure place to bring her, at least so I can get her used to being outside.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I start as young as possible, with a harness / leash and taking them outside but you can also use a bin, wire / mesh cage or carrier. Something along those lines will help give them a secure place to hang out, acclimate and catch some rays.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me