• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Zazu's vet trip.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
Thursday morning at 8:00 AM, i am taking Zazu to the vet because i think he has worms. i got a container from my basement and rinsed it out really well. i drilled some holes in it for air. does this sound ok?

i was going to take a fecal in but i called the vet and he has to see the lizard before he can give me meds. i need to get a fresh fecal. how can i do this?

can i put him in the carrying container with some fake plants Wednesday night so i don't have to catch him early in the morning? then he would also have a fresh poop in his cage when i take him in.

i weighed him today and he is 8 grams, he was 5 when i got him :) my scale rounds up or down to the nearest gram.

if i think of anything else ill post it here. i need help as to what to do.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
got a container from my basement and rinsed it out really well. i drilled some holes in it for air. does this sound ok?

It should be fine. I am taking one of my Cresteds to the vet today and will be using a small Kritter Keeper with a small piece of wood. A deli cup or Glad Tupaware container would also work. Just put a piece of moist paper towel in as well to keep humidity up.

can i put him in the carrying container with some fake plants Wednesday night so i don't have to catch him early in the morning? then he would also have a fresh poop in his cage when i take him in.

This will work. I myself would just leave him in his cage where is is already comfortable to minimize the stress that will be happening from the transport. Collecting fecals should be easy. Clean the cage now and save any fecal matter you find and then when it's time to goto the vet collect again and you will know they will be fresh.

i weighed him today and he is 8 grams, he was 5 when i got him my scale rounds up or down to the nearest gram.

Why do you suspect he's sick or has pin worms?? He's gained weight since you had him and it hasn't been very long. Sick gecko's will tend to not eat and loose weight. Which is going on in my case.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
i am thinking of also keeping him in the carrying case while i am treating him with meds. this way i can also have plenty of time to clean his cage really good. the carrying case that im putting him in to take to the vet is 9x14x6" high. i have another just like it but 12" high instead of 6 that i think i will use to keep him in while i am giving him meds. would this be okay or would it stress him out too much being kept in a cage so much smaller than the one he is in now.

i am taking him because i saw the worms. i have a picture of them.

the round white thing is urates and the stringy white things were moving in the water so i am guessing they are worms.

DSCN15130001.jpg

ZEKE

5 Year Member
i already did. they told me to contact them after the vet trip and tell me how it went. and whats wrong.

i have also contacted someone who has some of zazu's siblings and she said the same. to keep her updated on what happens.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh man, Zazu must have you really worried...I'd probably freak out if I found worms in a defecation from any of my reptiles.
Good luck, and I hope you get rid of the worms!

ZEKE

5 Year Member
thanks. yeah i am worried. its the same thing i saw in my ameivas poop before i took him to the vet. but i have been told that cresties are way easier to cure worms than ameivas are. so lets hope thats true and i can get him better.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I hate to see this in any reptile, it looks like pin worms to me. I am glad you are doing the right thing by taking him to the vet, keep us posted.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
zazu has pinworms. the vet gave me panacur, i have to give it to him once a week for 4 weeks. i need to go do school now so ill give more info later.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Panacur is good stuff. Very effective but mild at the same time so it won't be too stressful on your herps. I was at the vet last night and we were talking about it for awhile. Glad you kept a good eye on your little guy and he will get much better in no time.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
OH Man Sorry to here Zazu has pin worms Zeke... He should be better in no time tho.. Panacur is good.. I had to give it to one of my Beardies a while back!

ZEKE

5 Year Member
thanks :) the vet gave him the first dose. i will only be able to give him one next week and then im going out of town. i need to find someone here that can give it to him. i may just have my brother take zazu back to the vet and have the vet do it for the 2 weeks im gone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980