• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Wow, I'm Stupid!

casey15

One thing I realized I almost smacked myself, for months I've been trying to figure out how I'd get the materials I need to build a cage. The doors in our house are 2.5 feet wide so I thought uh oh how are the plywood boards getting in the house?! Then I realized, turn them on the side! Duh! Ugh, I always miss stuff like this, since I thought the width was to wide... But if I turn them, then it's like 2 inches thick! Okay things are so much easier now! I was thinking the wood would have to be cut in half! Yes! Now I can make the cage as big as I want, screw the 8x4x4, this is going in the unused basement anyway... might as well make it as huge as possible!:D

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bigger isn't always better. If you can't fill the enclosure with enough substrate and things for the monitor to use it won't be any good. Also hearing a larger enclosure is going to be more expensive.

casey15

No worries, I can put in enough substrate, I honestly don't care how much the heating costs I want to provide him the best. I won't build to big of a cage, first I'm calculating lighting costs/needs and sort of planning around that. I don't think I'd go any bigger than 10x10x10 but I have to make sure the family is okay with having that much of the basement taken up! Might make cage 6-8 feet wide. Still thinking

A family member of a friend works in construction, I can get really low cost soil/cypress mulch/sand and stuff from them if I buy in bulk. I'd definetley need to!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Heating a large cage is very expensive. My power bill went up $240 a month when I had my monitors.

casey15

That's actually less than I was expecting, really the power costs are not an issue, I only have the the light on for the room I'm in, in every other room in the house I keep them off unless I'm in the room. Light hurts my eyes, so I don't have uneeded lights on. I can afford that easily, feeding will be costly but I'm breeding insects to cover the bulk of his diet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.