• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Wow another great hit from Animal Planet

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Ohh nothing in particular, i just don't like the fact the mention only the bad side, but it cannot be helped. I just thought i'd share though being this is a tegu forum.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree they could have mentioned the positives of a Tegu as a pet. The problem is if people are getting tegus as pets and releasing them into the wild, it is going to turn into a problem.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
james.w said:
I agree they could have mentioned the positives of a Tegu as a pet. The problem is if people are getting tegus as pets and releasing them into the wild, it is going to turn into a problem.

Ahh i see. So the video was to discourage people from buying tegu's right? This way to try and resolve the growing problem, i still to this day don't understand why people would want to do that. Like i know why but i really really despise people who do. Just saying...

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think it was more to inform people of the problem Florida has with invasive species. It wasn't intended to discourage people from buying tegus in my opinion.

Kebechet

I was walking Link the other day, and someone actually thought that he must be vicious, because of what he saw on Animal Planet. I told him that they actually tame down pretty easily, and generally don't bite, unless cornered and feeling very threatened, and typically give warnings before they do. (who hasn't been tail whipped here during taming?) To prove it, I picked Link up, and kissed him on his big scaly lips :D and got licked back for my trouble. The guy was a little shocked, but he couldn't argue with me at that point lol!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The video on Animal Planet was showing tegus in the wild. I have no experience with wild tegus, but would assume their temperament is a little different in the wild vs in captivity. The fact the the tegu bit the guys finger off somewhat proves my assumption, people need to realize what these animals are capable of to try and keep them out of the wrong hands and prevent them from being released to the wild by people who got in over their head. Not everyone is capable of keeping a giant lizard or snake as a pet, I would even bet there are members on this forum that have no business owning a tegu.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I was frustrated, poor tegu was hungry! I agree that not everyone should own a tegu and wild tegus can differ in temperament but at the same time it would be nice for AP to do some kind of show that shows reptiles in a more positive light.

Kebechet

rhetoricx said:
I was frustrated, poor tegu was hungry! I agree that not everyone should own a tegu and wild tegus can differ in temperament but at the same time it would be nice for AP to do some kind of show that shows reptiles in a more positive light.

Sad thing is, that they're in the pocket of HSUS thes days. :/ so I doubt that'll happen.

montana

I don`t buy the part about the dog ...

That looks like what would happen if you were to try to catch one ....

Did you know that the robin is an invasive species ....??

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I did not know the Robin was an invasive species. The problem with the Tegu/Burmese pyhton is they eat eggs of the native species and will end up reducing their numbers. I don't think the Robin can cause this sort of harm.

montana

Do you think you could affect the native populations of birds and small rodents with Tegus if you had to ??

Say birds were a bad thing think you could wipe them out by letting tegus loose in the woods ...

I think someone is selling you a bill of goods ...

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm not saying it will happen overnight, but if the Tegus were reproducing they could eventually diminish other species. S. Florida has the perfect weather for Tegus to thrive.

As far as wiping out birds if they were a bad thing, I'm sure there is some animal that could do the job if it was needed. Probably not Tegus as "the woods" is probably not the best environment for them.

jerobi2k

just like any other creature, there are agressive and there are tame. wAAaAAaa! I lost the tip of my finger.... ;)

where I live in south FL. not long goes by where I dont see a gator or large iguana, i even see lizards that are similar to a water dragon but im not 100% sure on species. while working ive walked right up on gators sitting right along the lakes, they always just run back into the water and trust me Im pleased with that out come, lol. many of the snakes and reptiles where I live are said to be captive bread and then released once the owner can no longer care for them. the weather here is purely tropical, high heat and high humidity perfect weather for many reptiles.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
jerobi2k said:
many of the snakes and reptiles where I live are said to be captive bread and then released once the owner can no longer care for them.

this is the problem. This is one of the reasons reptiles are being targeted by lawmakers, and why they are trying to ban the keeping of them.

jerobi2k

yeah Ive been into reptiles all my life, I dont know anything about snakes. but they say out west here in the Glades that captive bred snakes are able to even eat the wild gators.

herpgirl2510

I am dissapointed that animal planet would have a video like that and not show a positive side to tegus. Think about it that type of video will frighten people which then leads to people wanting to severly limit what keepers can keep. Look at the ban wanted on pythons even up where I live where they could not survive. My neighbor approached me in my small town furious because my husband mentioned to him I had a ball python. His wife is worried to leave the house. I once had a great relationship with my neighbor now they won't even speak to me. They should have shown how that guy would have been even more disfigured if he had split up a fight between to dogs. He would have lost more than the top of his finger. These people who are releasing them into the wild like that are the root of the problem so irresponsible.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
what we need are more educational tools, facilities and owners with more common sense, the problems with invasive species in florida is a ever growing problem and sadly the keepers who are doing the right thing are the ones who will pay for it, i think animal planet when representing and animal should portray the entire side both good and bad, showing a wild animal biting someone when confronted, then classifying it as dangerous isnt exactly fair, however people need to realize they do have the potential and capability to be quite dangerous, espeacially if they are wild and frightened

Kebechet

herpgirl2510 said:
I am dissapointed that animal planet would have a video like that and not show a positive side to tegus. Think about it that type of video will frighten people which then leads to people wanting to severly limit what keepers can keep. Look at the ban wanted on pythons even up where I live where they could not survive. My neighbor approached me in my small town furious because my husband mentioned to him I had a ball python. His wife is worried to leave the house. I once had a great relationship with my neighbor now they won't even speak to me. They should have shown how that guy would have been even more disfigured if he had split up a fight between to dogs. He would have lost more than the top of his finger. These people who are releasing them into the wild like that are the root of the problem so irresponsible.

Animal planet is in league with the HSUS, the people who have been trying to force the reptile ban. It's just another political tool now. The intent of this is likely to paint reptiles in a negative light, and try to make the public more amiable to the idea of banning reptiles and other exotics.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu