• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

worried my tegu will get hurt with his escape attempts

StygianChild

My tegu Omega, who i've had for around 5 mo i believe, has begun to try to escape in the last 2-3 months. He will reach up and grab the mesh of the top of the tank and literally do a pull up! I'm worried he's going to hurt himself. Besides getting a new, taller tank does anyone have any suggestions of how to stop him or if i should even worry about it?

I was thinking of giving him a different substrate since i need to replace it anyways and i was going to make it deeper so he could dig more, but that would make it easier to grab the top to the tank. I'm not sure if that would be better or worse than him trying to do pull ups and dropping to the ground. opinions?

I'll try to get a video next time he does it.

Lavin45

My Loki is doing this same exact thing. She's standing on her hind legs and literally launching herself up at the screen and holding on. I had to raise her lights so she'd 1 stop breaking them and 2 not burn her self like a dumby lol

StygianChild

lol i think i'm going to put more substrate in so that he can stand up and reach it. That way, if he gets his claws stuck he can at least touch the ground.

Cody096

Mine did that til I upgraded the enclosure to a 6x4x4 from his 4x2x2. He's only 20 inches long and abot 5 months old but his level of activity has gone up quite a bit when he is awake and he no longer tries to escape. He is a bit flighty now but that's probably to be expected in a new space with so much more room.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine did that til I upgraded the enclosure to a 6x4x4 from his 4x2x2. He's only 20 inches long and abot 5 months old but his level of activity has gone up quite a bit when he is awake and he no longer tries to escape. He is a bit flighty now but that's probably to be expected in a new space with so much more room.
As you can quickly see, they're very smart and know what works and what doesn't.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980