• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Worried about impaction !!

Teg

OMG !!! Earlier on ... Teg decided to grab what was in his food bowl and dropped it in his substrate ... "Cypres Mulch". I could see the Mulch in his mouth, no dought he has swallowed some :s I do have a saucer and a bowl to compensate but obviously didn't work today, otherwise he won't come out to eat for some reason !! What are his chances of impacting, I am so worried :exclamation:

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How large is your tegu? If it's a small enough piece, chances are he'll pass it.

blokhedd

im also worried about this ive had mine two weeks now and i have eco earth in his enclosure. today when he pooped there was a clump of fibers in it. he passed it with out problem and still acting normal but i could switch to cypress by the end of the day if someone can respond quick enough. Also im looking at the bags of cypress on homedepot.com and they still look like eco earth but with a couple wood chunks in it http://cache.vendaria.com/integration/images/ct/35/VpopHTML.html?bg=D6D7A5&nm=BZOpener&err=0&title=Demo&pf=t&fr=t&iid=jmIkUFkQcffdQVeUajbacdkfffaijkQgQji&ap=sys_homedepot_uid_100355716&uid=100355716&cf=3000&purl=sys_homedepot_uid_100355716 is it really like this or is it just a bad photo? plz respond asap

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As long as temps and humidity are correct, small amounts of substrate shouldn't cause problems. There is always a small chance, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Impaction is always a possibility no matter what type of substrate you use if they eat enough of it, some more so than others. All we can really do is take preventive measures and hope for the best. When all else fails keep an eye on them in the beginning, make sure they're drinking for hydration, still eating, pooping and not bloating. A bit of exercise in the mean time like swimming will help as well.

If or when they start to show signs of straining to poop, not passing solids, a little lethargic (not always) then it's time for a vet.

In most cases depending on the size of the animal, the size of what they ate and or how much, they'll usually pass it on their own.

Teg

Well ! He pooped today no probs ! Shocked to see that he's actually 22 and not 18 inches as I previously thought !! He was 14 inches 6 weeks ago .... So, that's an amazing 8 inches in 6 weeks !! Lol :-/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980