• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Wood

cornking4

5 Year Member
I need to build Zzyzx a new hide (he's outgrowing his upside down litter tray) and want to build it out of wood. What is a good waterproof and inexpensive wood that you guys have used in enclosures? I hope to be able to buy it in sheets at least 1" thick.

BOOZER

5 Year Member
no wood is waterproof by itself,although you can use a waterbased sealer like DEFT. as far as wood, home depot sell 3/4 thick arauco plywood in 4 by 8 sheets for about $35 here in cali. good stuff. hope that helps

TanMan57

5 Year Member
well if you buy cheap plywood about 18$ for an 8x4 sheet then seal it. Btw im in cali prices may vari

goodtimes

5 Year Member
I used some 3/8" plywood to make a hide for my Ball Python, stained it , and let it sit out in the sun for a few days (in the peak of summer, 100 degrees) then a couple extra in the house, just in case, and it has worked out great. I didn't seal it and only stained the outside. It hasn't had any problems at all.
It you do make one I suggest you sand it, especially the edges, well so that it does not give of splinters. A 1" thick hide would be beefy................ :roon

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would seal it with a water based sealer. Our Tegu's hides are just a 2ft x 3ft sheet of plywood propped up on one side. They burrow under it.

cornking4

5 Year Member
Thanks for the suggestions, guys!! :-D I've used my pre-calculus skills to design a fairly extravagant hide with platforms and sloped sides... I'll post pics when it's done. Finally a chance to apply my trigonometry hahaha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu