• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Won't drink standing water!

Sason

My tegu acts like a chameleon and only likes to drink water off his enclosure walls and objects and plants. Has anyone else ever heard of or experienced this? I soak him everyday because that's where he likes to defecate and it keeps his tank clean. I spray his cage for humidity and that is the only way too get him to drink. It's hard to keep him hydrated drinking drops of water at a time also there are tiny pieces of mulch that get mixed in with the water and him ingesting that makes me nervous! I have noticed the white part of his stool id's starting to get firm and I am worried about dehydration. Any thoughts?

Sason

This is Maximus he is a chicoan white head male. He is almost three months old and 25 inches long!

Attachments

• 0924161506.jpg
    0924161506.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 78

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This is Maximus he is a chicoan white head male. He is almost three months old and 25 inches long!
Does he have a large shallow water bowl that would be hard to miss? He should and if so, he'll find it. Could be a habit he picked up from where he came from.

Sason

I have had him since he was 3 days old. In the beginning he drank from his bowl but I haven't seen him do that in a while. When I spray his tank he always drinks from the droplets that gather. I was thinking I would stop spraying his cage and see if he gets thirsty enough if he would drink from his bowl. I don't want him to get to dry though.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have had him since he was 3 days old. In the beginning he drank from his bowl but I haven't seen him do that in a while. When I spray his tank he always drinks from the droplets that gather. I was thinking I would stop spraying his cage and see if he gets thirsty enough if he would drink from his bowl. I don't want him to get to dry though.
Well, spray every other day on the side above his water bowl, see what happens. He'll drink.

dpjm

5 Year Member
Tegus tend to drink a lot of water, so this is something to keep on top of.

Try spraying into the water bowl. He might notice the water moving and drink. You could set up a drip system that drips into the water bowl for more continuous stimulation. Cleaning and refilling the water bowl daily also might help.

I don't think water deprivation is a good idea, even for training purposes.

Justin

5 Year Member
I very rarely see mine drink from his bowl but it's there if he needs it or wants to throw dirt in it as is often the case.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I very rarely see mine drink from his bowl but it's there if he needs it or wants to throw dirt in it as is often the case.
Same here, except mine flip it to see if something tasty is underneath. Never is, but they check anyway.

ophidia

I see mine drink frequently. She then kicks a bunch of moss into it because she's apparently not a fan of clean water. She usually drinks deeply after she's been roaming around getting exercise, even though I have a water bowl for her right by her "I'm going on an adventure!" basking light.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980