• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

will another tegu teach mine how to eat?

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
hmm... well I might have to shoot them an email then because I personally would like some more documentation that that is being done with sucessful hatchlings as that has not been proved so far and if/when it is its not something that would stay under the radar .... sounds like BS to me but thats just my thoughts. Im sure others would agree with me but the forum is pretty quiet right now.

i here u there thats why were getting opinions cuz we cant figure this out an its starting to upset us were all the way up in the great north woods of new england not many tegus are here but alot of breeders and alot wont help us out at all with the things going on one person at daves dragons said giving the whole raw egg is fine when wee found out its not good only the yellow is ann not the white

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Well actually, I think you should probably buy 3 to 4 more tegus. If you keep them in a smaller environment, say 5 foot cage max as adults, they will form a pack-like mentality and teach each other how to eat and all other kinds of cool behaviors. They frequently hybridize with reds and argentines so yours is probably a hybrid! Also, they love baths so bathe them as much as possible. If you couldn't sense the sarcasm in this post then sorry. Please research before you buy an animal.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Well I can tell you right now that you have a colombian, not a cross. It has EVERY indicator of being colombian and for those of us, like myself who have worked with tegus for a decade now, it is very easy to tell a colombian and argentine apart.

As for the non-eating, if that were my tegu. I would A. either completely without the egg and offer other food items until he gets hungry enough. or B. drizzle with egg yolk, not whites on to other food items to slowly coax him into other foods. But I would not give in and just give it what it eats. Its not going to die from not eating for a few days or even a week. When its hungry it will eat, when nothing internal is going on, it will eat. So you should contact your vet again and ask what they did to determined that there was an impaction and then go from there. Ask about treatment, are you soaking? are you adminitering oil? are you doing tummy rubs? Typically when an animal is impacted, you need an xray to determine that. and you withhold food, and only offer water so your not making the problem worse.

Well actually, I think you should probably buy 3 to 4 more tegus. If you keep them in a smaller environment, say 5 foot cage max as adults, they will form a pack-like mentality and teach each other how to eat and all other kinds of cool behaviors. They frequently hybridize with reds and argentines so yours is probably a hybrid! Also, they love baths so bathe them as much as possible. If you couldn't sense the sarcasm in this post then sorry. Please research before you buy an animal.

its totaly understandable we are new to this its our first we did the research for almost a yr b4 we got one and really u think its a hybrid? if so that would be amazing he is a sweetheart he accually fell asleep with me lastnight i almost didnt want to put him back into his incloser an havent people found colubians to be more agressive then arginteens thats from what i have read and sorry for the spelling i only graduated at a 5th grade reading level but the wife is the one usually on here not me lol but ya i have sarcasim as well so i totaly understand

KritterKeeper

I agree with you SnakeCharmr..Those were pretty much my exact thoughts. If columbians are difficult to breed getting them to successfully cross breed would not be easy and theres no way people would keep that to themselves..

Well I can tell you right now that you have a colombian, not a cross. It has EVERY indicator of being colombian and for those of us, like myself who have worked with tegus for a decade now, it is very easy to tell a colombian and argentine apart.

As for the non-eating, if that were my tegu. I would A. either completely without the egg and offer other food items until he gets hungry enough. or B. drizzle with egg yolk, not whites on to other food items to slowly coax him into other foods. But I would not give in and just give it what it eats. Its not going to die from not eating for a few days or even a week. When its hungry it will eat, when nothing internal is going on, it will eat. So you should contact your vet again and ask what they did to determined that there was an impaction and then go from there. Ask about treatment, are you soaking? are you adminitering oil? are you doing tummy rubs? Typically when an animal is impacted, you need an xray to determine that. and you withhold food, and only offer water so your not making the problem worse.

the vet said the same thing an now we are doing everything that u have just mentioned have not given him egg since he has been going to the bathroom twice a day no instead of once a day been giving babyfood with pedilite and the laxitive and his his tummy went down alot its finally solid poo and not runny and he is more motivated than ever i dont no what the breeder had him on but it kinda upsets us that we had to do this but since friday have not had to force feed him and not only that he now has a food reaction finally when he was lil he had a mega food respones till the wife gave him egg the vet told us to forget the egg an try other things like u said and now doing much better hes not even snappy more so even trusts us more for helping him he was even on his best very best behavior there so im going to fallow u an if i have anymore problems may i come to u for more advice? we have a fallow up tomarro with the vet

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Yes feel free to ask any questions. baby food isnt the best ingredient to do with a slurry though as it has a lot of sugars and preservatives. For anyone needing to make a slurry, its best to grind up different foods in a blender, so its the same diet but just in a liquid form so they are not missing out on key nutrients.

when did you get him? if hes being handled a lot he could be stressed which would attribute to him not eating.

we just let him roam around the room unfort we live with my rents there an older couple an dont like him around the whole house witch we hate but its only for now till we get our own place we got him back in march he still had a little i mean a little green on his head we do have a grinder what types of food may i grind up to put into it? like as far as raw? but he craves the attention he always wants to be on us for some reason i think it was from him being sick or something i have no clue he even curls up in the bed under our pillows with us its so cute

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029