• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

why?

BSM

5 Year Member
hmmm

There large monitors which needs a huge cage to be kept in and feed. Most are WC and are not for the average/unexperenced keeper.

lotsareps

5 Year Member
ahh ok
and i was just curious. i don't need a demon for a pet at this current moment in time. maybe when i have a bigger house and a lucrative career with health benefits

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lotsareps said:
ahh ok
and i was just curious. i don't need a demon for a pet at this current moment in time. maybe when i have a bigger house and a lucrative career with health benefits

You might need the health benefits if you get a croc, lol.

They are very smart and very mean animals, oh, and they get very big. I do not have a clue why they are priced so high, and I do not even have a clue why someone would even want one, they do not get tame.

hoosier

5 Year Member
i believe an easy way to explain the price is "deturant". most people wont want to spend 700-2000$ for a lizard and a croc is defiently not a good choice for a "pet". its more like willingly shoving your hand down a garbage disposal and paying someone for the disposal itself. lol (that was just an exaggeration so please dont get mad at me for it) but in all seriousness, salvadorii's really are not ment to be kept as pets. they are insanely smart and wont hessitate to seize a chance ant making you its prey. type in "croc monitor" in a google image search and on the first page you will see an impressive would that was inflicted by one (just the claws i believe) and its impressive skull. defienly not for a beginner monitor keeper and even some advanced keepers will tell you that its not for advanced keepers either. these creatures need a huge cage and alot of food. if you do truely plan on getting one be sureto do massive amounts or research please. if you would like i could give you the name of a very good forum to check out. verrrrry intelligent keepers there and afew who keep v. salvadorii. if you truely plan on getting one it would be worth checking out.
i am very sorry if this post sounded mean or anything along those lines. its just that V.salvadorii is one of the most dangerous monitors that can be kept and can inflict brutal wounds onto its keeper if not fully understood. accidents happen that even if only a little research was done could have been prevented and i really dont want to see a keeper get hurt and either kill or abandon the monitor in retalliation.

-Mat

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Go down this page to the one that says "Why don't you sell croc monitors?"
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.proexotics.com/FAQ2.html">http://www.proexotics.com/FAQ2.html</a><!-- m -->

I will warn you, it is some bad bites and very grafic. Also read about them there, it tells some pretty bad stories about bites from them.

Also, there are some that say the can reach 15 feet and are the longest lizards in the world.

hoosier

5 Year Member
i was gonna post that link bobby, u justgot to it before i did. lol and that really long tail can hurt bad too. take getting whiped by a tegu and multiply it by about 1000. its a 6ft whipwith alot of muscle behind it and amazingly accurate.

lotsareps

5 Year Member
got me convinced to stay far from them even more than i already was
i'm not offended at all i appreciate the concern. i'd rather be told "they'll essentially kill you one day" than "oh yeah they just get big and need a big enclosure but they can tame if you handle them"
thanks
1. thought they were beautiful
2. hated the price
3. don't need to take care of something twice my size with the potential to go jurassic park on me

Beazer

5 Year Member
I believe crocodile monitors are expensive because more of "rarity" in the wild? I havent read much on crocodile monitors but I believe I have heard a few whispers about the numbers deminishing in the wild (harder to obtain) and that they are a bit difficult to breed in captivity. Wholesale I have seen them for $325 for wc adults and $450 for ch babies. If they were a common and easy animal to get a hold of by exporters/farms I believe price would drop. On top of that, they look awesome so probably keeps their value up. Good pets or not, the reptile trade probably doesnt care so much. Sadly, a lot of suppliers dont care where teh animal goes as long as they make the money. If I could make some sort of huge outdoor enclosure they could live in, Id toootally get a pair.

-Jon DeLong

Beazer

5 Year Member
P.S. Hoosier is right. Very dangerous. I have talked to people at shows with scars on their shoulders and arms from croc monitors. One guy claimed the animal actually ambushed him.

hoosier

5 Year Member
lotsareps said:
so they're essentially the velociraptors from jurassic park

lol pretty much. :twisted:

and jon,
i completely agree and i find it sad really. they really dont care.
and if i had a biggenough enclosure i would get a pair too, but i would be extreamly cautious around them. i have actualy heard stories of them ambushing their owners too.

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
croc monitors are expensive because they are rare in the wild, yet keeping them in captivity.............you get the point
and captive bred babies are very rare, so again, they are very expencive
but they are absolutely horrible pets, having a 10' carnivorous monitor lizard is not the way to go if you want a "pet"

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
lol, if i were rich, and had the time to invest in it (IE:i never had to go to work) i would love to raise a croc monitor. but it's so unrealistic. those things are truely monsters. sure, we all want a pet monster, but without having the hugely unrealistic time and energy needs to raise it right makes it an impossible lizard for me to ever own.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I've got the room. I got the will and the time to keep them. But I am too broke to afford one. LOL But If I could I would have me one. Or maybe a pair. I've kept several large monitor species over the years.

argus333

5 Year Member
there not that bad, some of the stories are overblown. id take on over a nile monitor any day. dont get me wrong the bites from these guys is brutal and usually requires micro surgery. but they are a beautiful lizard and ive found not really all that aggressive. not at all hand-able but u can feed and clean cage with no problems. a friend of mine has 2 of these guys in a 12ft x 16 ft room with trees from floor to celling with a huge glass door right in the center of his house.the male will even let u pet his back. if u can provide a huge cage and id get into them they need more work in the private sector. i heard wild populations are low.

lotsareps

5 Year Member
haha my jurassic park statement made me think

if i was rich, had a nice big house with lots of land, i could totally have a forest in front that you have to drive your car on tracks to get through while as many croc monitors free roam said forest

it'd keep door to door solicitors away

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980