• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Why do tegus....

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you lived in a hot tropical environment with no air conditioning you'd probably look for a cool borrow too :p

luckdragon

5 Year Member
I've been trying to keep my B&W's temp in the right range (Day: 80-90F) but I noticed s/he was still burrowing. I am wondering if the burrowing is a sign of hibernation?

hoosier

5 Year Member
they burrow for shelter. its a place for them to sleep and a place to hide. alot of lizards and animals burrow for the same reason. :)

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
Mine's been doign the same thing, pretty much living in his burrow except in the morning. And i've been keeping the basking area just over 100, and the rest is around the 80s and 90s.Nighttime drops to high 70s. So it doesn't seen like it would be hibernating behavior.

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
Mines in hibernation right now and has been for like a month. And I got to look at her burrow before she went to sleep in it bc she made it under one of the large slabs of rock I have in her enclosure and it is a really nice and surprisingly well made burrow with a front and back entrence as well as a large sleeping chamber that was perfeclty cleaned out and detailed I guess. It was just surprising that she made it in pitch black and that a lizard could have it made so clean and nice inside it.

NickBoudin

5 Year Member
Mine dosent burrow often. I notice it dig a lot, but it also more or less tunnels throught the substrate like a worm or a goffer or something! :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu