• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

who's 09' tegu didnt hibernate?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ok so maybe i am bored or maybe its the pain medication lol but im curious as to who's tegu did not hibernate this past winter? i ask because im kinda baffled over my tegu nero who i got on 8/11/2009 from bobby @ 5 wks old. she never showed any inteest in hibernating despite my efforts to try to induce her, whats even more weird is i live in chicago and winter is very cold here and some days it got into the high 50's - low 60's in my reptile room and none of this ever effeted her. not only did she not hibernate she didnt brumate either she was up basking and eating everyday, so naturally she grew very big and very fast! i tried manipulating her lighting but that just threw her off and she was waking up in the evening and staying up until like 1-2 am. so for those of you who tegu didnt hibernate, did you change anything in your husbandry, and your tegu just decided to stay up or just brumate? even achilles who came in mid decemer decided he/she wasnt going to hibernate anymore and only stayed under for 2 wks! whats going on lol? im really hoping that pyro and the two 10' tegus go under this winter other wise imma be in big trouble lol!

nero @ 5 wks
babynero.jpg

nero @ 5 1/2 mo.
wide-load.jpg

nero now (10 days away from 1 y/o)
IMAGE_590-1.jpg

Jer723

5 Year Member
Well all I know is my tegu did hibernate, for 7 months! And now she still looks like your 5 week old pic. And she eats everyday. lol Wish my tegu would grow that fast, Great lookin Gu Bro!

Jerry

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
thanks man, i kinda wish she had hibernated and stayed small a lil longer lol!

Herplings

5 Year Member
Samson my Female B&W Tegu went about 3 months this winter where she would only eat a few bites of food once a week and I don't ever remember her basking.

From late Dec- early to mid March.

Jer723

5 Year Member
Herplings said:
Samson my Female B&W Tegu went about 3 months this winter where she would only eat a few bites of food once a week and I don't ever remember her basking.

From late Dec- early to mid March.

Yea, mine went down in late september, and came up during late february.

Pikey

5 Year Member
Re: who's 09' Tegu didn't hibernate?

my Harley (B&W) did for like 2 1/2 months then was up and down off and on, but is now 3ft , but very petite & still very yellow, but her head is now cream & 10 months old give or take a few weeks

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
you see thats just the thing nero ever turned down food and was eating large quantities of food lol i had to reduce her feed like in febuary because i suspected she was getting obese, she now only eats lke 3x a week and it took some time before she stopped looking for food everyday lol maybe food was her motivation for not hibernating!

Melissa

5 Year Member
Our Roy x Purdy girl 09 went down around Oct she was so small (was kind of picky eater before hibernation) I was kind of worried i kept checking about 1x a wk to make sure she was still alive lol. She also came out what seemed early to me in Jan since then she has ate like no tomorrow and made up for the time lol.

larissalurid

Wow look at how much she grew from not hibernating! I hope when I get mine he doesn't hibernate the first year lol. Nero is beautiful :] and her name is as well! I love it.

Orion

5 Year Member
I have 3 Tegus and none looked like they were going to hibernate during the fall even though I started to cut back the light and heat. Around the end of November I decided that I would really cut back the heat. I put smaller watt bulbs in and reduced to just one heat lamp in each cage. One of my females went off food entirely and really has not eaten in 3 months. She comes out some days to bask for a few hours. The male in the same cage basks everyday but only eats a little food every other day. Another female I have in another enclosure eats once a week, maybe. Some times she stays buried for 2 days the comes out to bask for 6 hours a day for a week or so but then goes back down for a day or 2. The cages are 8 feet long by 4 by 4. I have Repti Glo 10.0 bulbs 2 x 36 inch bulbs that run the entire length of the cage and I cut back on making the cages humid. Bob is a Varnyard 08, Tiny is an 09 and Yoshi is a 10.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I replaced their 150 watt. basking Bulbs with 85 watt halogens that didn't even deter her theb slightest bit, I clocked her out roaming when the thermometer was reading 40*+ at night, she grew a total of 40" from 8/11/2009-7/4/2010, she was by far my favorite of all my tegus

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980