• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Whole prey sizes

cornking4

5 Year Member
I've got Zzyzx the 2.5 foot B&W and I need to re-order his whole prey from Aiken. What would you recommend, mice or rats? Which size of each should I feed him? I'm thinking he may be big enough to take two adult mice a week, but I'm not quite sure...

Meg90

5 Year Member
Rats! They are much more nutritional....

I would say pups. Are you completely out of any other whole prey items? Cleo is around 22-23 inches and eats rat fuzzies...

Rodentpro.com has smaller "pups" then what I am used to. I get mine from my local breeder, and they have their eyes open (some do)

But I say ditch the mice and go for rats.

Terry

5 Year Member
More smaller items are better then one or two larger items. Easier for them to digest and you get to spend more time feeding them. Rat's are better, because mice are higher in fat then rat's.

cornking4

5 Year Member
I actually just researched it a bit, and I read that because tegus get most of their fat and calories from their ground turkey/beef liver mix, whole prey is fed mainly to supply calcium. I'm thinking that since mice will provide all the calcium a lizard needs, I should go with them instead of rats... Any ideas on that? :chin

Meg90

5 Year Member
Rats have more bone density. And I try to give Cleo one or two pups a week. Snakes fed on rats grow faster than those fed on mice.

cornking4

5 Year Member
I'll ask Dr. Driggers on Tuesday when I'm in the clinic. Anyone else have any opinions in the meantime? Let's get a conversation going.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
from my own research i found that rats provide a lot more nutrients, vitamins and minerals than mice i feed my 3 ft. tegu small to medium rats and i have noticed that since ive stated him on rats his growth has picked up more, he is really starting to fill out and his tail base is fatter and hes only been on rats 2 weeks now except for the occaisional rat pups he used to get just my 2 cents i would definatly go with the rats

cornking4

5 Year Member
Well I found out that a pet store near me sells frozen day old chicks for 80 cents each so I'll have Zzyzx on a diet of one chick per day, 5 days a week, one adult mouse 2 days a week, plus dubias, Bobby's meat mixture, and the usual fruit. Sound like a good schedule?

Sakara

5 Year Member
go with rabbits ;) I have a local rabbit breeder here and a pink rabbit is the size of a small rat... so once he's big enough for a small rat sized item, I'd go rabbits... I can get pinks and fuzzies for cheap and everything else is a couple bucks a pound... If you want when he's big enough, I can ship you some ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029